Swap Delkevic DL-10 carbon cans for stock OEM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just joined this forum, as I just picked up a new-to-me 2014 FJR with just 4500 mi. (!) to replace my 23K mile '02 VFR 800ABS. I love it except for the Delkevic exhaust - a bit too loud for my tastes. They appear like-new, carbon 14" round cans with the large slash cut outlet. I LOVE the look, but at near 60 yrs. old, the sound is just too boy-racer for me. (I'll keep the loud on my vintage RD350 and GT550 2-strokes, thank you!) Anyone up for a swap of the Delkevic's for OEM cans in excellent condition? The Delkevic's are approx. $600 new.

Attachments

• Right side Lrg crop.jpg
    Right side Lrg crop.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Delkevic Slip-ons FJR.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FJR on trailer - exhaust closeup.jpg
    FJR on trailer - exhaust closeup.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2
That is a tempting offer. I've always wanted to try the Delkevics. I have a stock set of exhaust off my low mile '14 FJR that are in as-new condition. I am in Phoenix. Shipping prices have gotten so $$$$. Hmmm.....

Last edited:
I just joined this forum, as I just picked up a new-to-me 2014 FJR with just 4500 mi. (!) to replace my 23K mile '02 VFR 800ABS. I love it except for the Delkevic exhaust - a bit too loud for my tastes. They appear like-new, carbon 14" round cans with the large slash cut outlet. I LOVE the look, but at near 60 yrs. old, the sound is just too boy-racer for me. (I'll keep the loud on my vintage RD350 and GT550 2-strokes, thank you!) Anyone up for a swap of the Delkevic's for OEM cans in excellent condition? The Delkevic's are approx. $600 new.
You may want to check if the baffles have been removed.
I have Delkevics on a couple of bikes - including the FJR, and the baffle makes quite a difference. The two are different models and sound differently. The shorter, the louder - big difference between a 13" and an 18" can with and without baffles. While I like how it sounds on the FJR without the baffles, I don't prefer it for long trips-so baffles back in. Replacing or adding the baffle is easy, but you'll have to find some first. If you can't locate them used, contact Delkevic - they are pretty good about helping.

Don't give up just yet 🙂

Sent you a PM.

Wow, that thing looks incredible! May I be so nosy to ask how much you got it for?
Thank you! It's not flawless but in excellent shape, and I picked it up for $9K from a dealer. There were a few '14's out there on the market for less, but all had 3x to 10x the mileage, so felt it was worth it! Bonus that this one was in OH about 3 hrs. away instead of 4 states away!

You may want to check if the baffles have been removed.
I have Delkevics on a couple of bikes - including the FJR, and the baffle makes quite a difference. The two are different models and sound differently. The shorter, the louder - big difference between a 13" and an 18" can with and without baffles. While I like how it sounds on the FJR without the baffles, I don't prefer it for long trips-so baffles back in. Replacing or adding the baffle is easy, but you'll have to find some first. If you can't locate them used, contact Delkevic - they are pretty good about helping.

Don't give up just yet 🙂
Thank you SunnyO! I need to pull the cans to see what baffles are in there, or if any are in at all. Thank you for the tip! I find that Delkevic sells them new very reasonably priced - $25-35 ea., regular or quieter, respectively. I'll know more soon!

Not sure about that particular model but the baffles are usually in the end cap (which should be held on with screws). No need to remove the cans. But I could be wrong on that particular one.

Side note... mufflers with those wide mouth openings are usually louder than most.

EDIT: Ignore my post. Found this about the Delks...

https://information.delkevic.net/10553/FitmentUK.pdf

Last edited:
I have a set of OEM for my 2013 that I will swap you for. I currently run the 8 inch Delkevics and my oems just sit on the shelf and collect dust. Let me know if you are interested...

By the way, I have the baffles in my dels...they are loud and sound like a super sport pipe...I love it! They also pop pop pop when I decelerate and I love that too. Anything to get more attention on the road is good with me. I do wear ear protection on rides over 20 min...just cuz. But Yea...if you want to swap let's talk.

My 2 cents:
I'm rocking what used to be called the Delkevic SL10 slash cut 14" (350mm) in stainless on my '15. Delkevic now calls them the "KIT30FX" now. I drove it around the 1st year without the DB Killers installed, although it sounded awesome on surface streets, the drone on the highway got wicked annoying. I installed the DB Killers from the box the following season. In my case, the cans did have to come off because the DB Killers go in the same way exhaust flows out on my model. Putting the DB Killers in was worth the hour or so since they made a big difference cutting down on a lot of the highway drone but not screwing up the bike's sound on surface streets. Nevermind the huge weight savings between the stock cans and the SL10s. Something you may want to consider, in the installation instructions, Delkevic states you can purchase parts, like the DB Killers directly from them. Should you end up buying the DB Killers and still hate it, you could always remove the whole Delkevic kit and replace it with the stock Yamaha system. Selling the kit would help to recoup the cost of the DB Killers to someone who might want them.

Thank you to all who responded! I found that my Delkevic's had NO baffles in them, so a logical reason for the sound. I ordered the quieter version baffles direct from Delkevic for $30 ea. plus modest shipping. It was easy to pull the cans and install both in about 30 min., and they sound great. Interestingly, the quieter baffles are simple non-perforated steel dead-end cans, so they appear to simply block much of the opening and force more exhaust through the packing. Since I loved the look from the start, and now they sound good and don't drone for long trips, I'll be keeping these for the foreseeable future. Thanks again for all the advice and responses - I love this forum!