SWFog Travel plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Figured I'd start a travel guide for folks to perhaps meet up on your way to Utah.

Grergory will be join us Wed 27th when we leave downtown Peardale on our way to Ely, Nv. We will be meeting FJRay and his bride in Fernley Nv for a mid morning breakfast at the Wigwam restaurant. Then it's across hwy 50 to stay at the Prospector Hotel in Ely https://prospectorhotel.us/

Thursday morning we are riding to Wheeler Peak to take a Lehman Cave tour then on to Cedar City by mid afternoon

If anyone cares to join us chime in or post up your plans from whatever neck of the woods you will be riding in from.

Is it May yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
If any from points north are heading down I am leaving Lapine the morning of the 26 the and getting to Fernly/Fall on by way of Cedarville CA. and Gerlach NV. Feel free to join us.

I also plan to be in Ely on Wednesday PM, and depart for Cedar City the next morning, I'd like to join you guys to Lehman Caves. I wonder if the road up to Wheeler Peak, above Lehman Caves, is open early this year? I used to be a cave guide at Lehman Caves, so I probably don't need to see that again, but the road up to Wheeler is a fun distraction.

After Baker, NV I'll take UT highways 21, 129, and 130 to Cedar, those are fun lonely roads!

My Australian Mate, Festar, and I are heading from Spearfish to Cedar City for SW FOG.

Festar doesn't plan, I do!

We'll leaveSpearfishTuesday or Wednesday the 26th or 27th and go via some roads Brian hasn't been on yet,

US 16 over the Bighorns,

US 191through Flaming Gorge, and probably all the way to I 70,

UT 24, to Torrey UT, then UT 12 to US 89,

Then press on to Cedar City via UT 14.

Don't know where we will stop along the way, a semi-serendipitous trip.

Looking forward to seeing all in a month!

Excellent plan ^^^^ bigjohn.

Just completed the Cedar City to Torrey run [opposite your direction] this past week. Great roads and nice weather although at altitude, it's still early in the season for two wheels...we drove through snow yesterday morning outside Torrey!

Enjoy the trip!

--G

We spent three days in Torrey on our recent Trailer trip, weather was beautiful, but the sprinklers did leave ice on the grass in the early mornings.

Can't wait to ride UT 12 on the bike.

Leaving Bountiful area in Utah on the 27th... riding.... south mostly...maybe via Moab and Blanding..just going to wing it, but going to try and end the day in Torrey... then on the 28th - definitely hitting Hwy 12 through Esclante to end in Cedar City, that is a can't miss road!

I think Torrey is a little far for us to get to on day one
sad.png
Would love to join you on 12.
As I am winging it, I can move plans on the fly! I am sure we could cross paths so I could tag along if you are shooting for hitting hwy 12 sometime on the 28th. The only time schedule I am on is reaching the hotel in Cedar City sometime on the 28th.

Well if we leave on the 26th it will be no problem, we could meet in Torrey the evening of the 27th and have all day to do 12 etc... Brian and I have nowhere to go and all day to get there!

Well if we leave on the 26th it will be no problem, we could meet in Torrey the evening of the 27th and have all day to do 12 etc... Brian and I have nowhere to go and all day to get there! Motels in Torrey in the $80 range

Well if we leave on the 26th it will be no problem, we could meet in Torrey the evening of the 27th and have all day to do 12 etc... Brian and I have nowhere to go and all day to get there! Motels in Torrey in the $80 range
That sounds like a winner! Could grab some dinner/b-fast in Torrey and then maybe stop at 'Kiva Koffee House' on Hwy 12 for a refreshment or coffee on the way. I have never stopped there (Kiva), but have heard that it has some good eats, and just take it easy into Cedar.

I will probably stay in a tent though that night- I am playing around with my load out for my upcoming 50CC in September and subsequent wanderings from Florida back home, and want to try some new equipment that I have purchased. And thought this might be a golden opportunity to do so. I have stayed at the Affordable Inn just outside Torrey and could recommend it, the room I stayed in last spring was clean and comfortable.

I also plan to be in Ely on Wednesday PM, and depart for Cedar City the next morning, I'd like to join you guys to Lehman Caves. I wonder if the road up to Wheeler Peak, above Lehman Caves, is open early this year? I used to be a cave guide at Lehman Caves, so I probably don't need to see that again, but the road up to Wheeler is a fun distraction.
After Baker, NV I'll take UT highways 21, 129, and 130 to Cedar, those are fun lonely roads!
Cool Bob, we have a small herd( 4 bikes so far) staying at the Prospector and would like to meet you there. Never even thought about the road and snow to the cave but I suspect Nevada has been short on snow just like Ca. I'll have to check into that when I book the tour, Wheeler Peak is awesome and makes it hard to believe you are in Nevada.

We'll do the same route to Cedar City, nice roads to set the cruise and take a nap.
no.gif
Doug

Don't really have any travel plans, but if anyone is getting in early Thursday and wants to check out some local roads and/or sights before dinner, let me know.

I'll be here all day.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stealth1" data-cid="1226176" data-time="1430230577"><p>

Don't really have any travel plans, but if anyone is getting in early Thursday and wants to check out some local roads and/or sights before dinner, let me know.<br />

I'll be here all day.</p></blockquote>

I may look you up. My wife and I will be getting down in the area Monday and taking four days to explore the area working our way from Phoenix on to Prescott area where we may look into a 55 plus communities. Then check out Sedona and South Rim before making our way to Utah checking out Brice if we have time.

Cool Bob, we have a small herd( 4 bikes so far) staying at the Prospector and would like to meet you there. Never even thought about the road and snow to the cave but I suspect Nevada has been short on snow just like Ca. I'll have to check into that when I book the tour, Wheeler Peak is awesome and makes it hard to believe you are in Nevada.

We'll do the same route to Cedar City, nice roads to set the cruise and take a nap.
no.gif
Doug

Doug,

Sounds good, I'll see you guys in Ely, and I'm also thinking there's not much snow around there!

Bob

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stealth1" data-cid="1226176" data-time="1430230577"><p>Don't really have any travel plans, but if anyone is getting in early Thursday and wants to check out some local roads and/or sights before dinner, let me know.<br />

I'll be here all day.</p></blockquote>

I may look you up. My wife and I will be getting down in the area Monday and taking four days to explore the area working our way from Phoenix on to Prescott area where we may look into a 55 plus communities. Then check out Sedona and South Rim before making our way to Utah checking out Brice if we have time.
Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing from you.

My plans have changed just a bit. Will be leaving Redding early AM to meet up with Doug/Ray at the WigWam. Bringing my buddy Rick from Oregon