tail light wiring diagram

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vampyre

Reaction score
I am going to install a Signal Dynamics Wig Wag modulator, and am a little unsure about the wiring of the tail lights.

There are blue, black and yellow wires going to each tail light.

I got that black is ground, and it seems that yellow is the brake light switch.

That leaves blue. when I wire the blue lights in as the diagram shows (red/white and white/red) wires, the running lights do not light up, only the brake lights.

This should be very simple, however, it is not working.

Can anyone help me out, and tell me what exactly each colored wire does, and perhaps, looking at this diagram, what is wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

photo.jpg

Blue wire is +12V ignition keyed. It goes to the running lamp filament in the dial filament bulbs.

Yellow wire is +12V switched by the brake light. That's the one you want to tap into.

I'm going from memory (and it's not that good anymore) the yellow wires at the brake lights should be from the brake light switches (front and rear).

The wht/red and red/wht wires from the Wigwag mod are to connected to the yellow wires from each brake light. (you will cut each wire so they are no longer connected to the brake lights switches)

Leave the blue wires alone as they operate the tail light filiment of each of the brake light bulbs.

The yellow wire going from the brake light switch should be cut and connected to the red input wire on the wigwag mod. When your activate the brake lights the red wigwag input wire will have 12 volts and the wht/red and red/wht wires will cause the brake lights to flash in an alternating pattern (hence Wig-Wag).

Make sure the black wire from the wigwag mod is connected to ground.

Please post a video (or link) when you're done. I'd like to see how it works.

Looks like you should tap into the yellow (brake switched) wire. Blue is definitely switched to the ignition, I've tapped into it for electronics I want to turn on and off with the key.

OK, what you guys all posted makes sense, I will get this complete this evening. I can post a video when I am done.

Thanks to all.

If you remove the rear faring shroud, you can have full access to the entire tail lamp assembly. There is a connector on the right side that all of the wires go through. There is a single yellow/green wire on the harness side, which connects to a single solid yellow wire on the Tail Lamp side of the connector. The yellow wire disappears into a bundle that is taped up and wrapped with some really big heat shrink tube. If you dig into that bundle, just unwrap the tape and slide the tubing up the wire bundle towards the lamp assembly, you'll find where the one yellow wire splits into the two yellow solid yellow wires that eventually end up going to the bulb sockets.

Looks like this:

2940706410098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

That would be your best place to cut the wires and connect to your wigwag. That way it will be able to flash the left and right lamps independently.

You probably have it done allready but this is what i did for my GenII. Soldered right into the pins of the connector.

(Tail Light)>>>Blue

(brake light)>>>Yellow

(Right turn signal)>>>Green

(left turn signal)>>>Brown

Everything installed just fine.

I cut the yellow wire, from the brake switch, connected to RED on module.

Grounded the black wire.

Red/White and White/Red cut soldered to the yellow wires that I cut from each tail light bulb.