Tall Rider on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhacer

Reaction score
Hi there, I had my V-Strom in for service at the dealer on Tuesday and saw an AE on the showroom floor. Having read some reviews I decided to take a test sit.

At 6'6" 300+ pounds, I don't have the luxury of picking the bike, they pick me. I was surprised when I was actually able to sit on this thing reasonably comfortably. I had them put the seat on the highest position, and it was better yet. I am concerned about long distance riding. I'm a daily commuter (yes year round) and generally take a couple of longish weekend rides a year (1100 to 1600 miles).

I'm curious if there are other riders my size and what their experiences are with the bike.

Ohhh I have a 35" inseam.

Thanks for your input.

Hi there, I had my V-Strom in for service at the dealer on Tuesday and saw an AE on the showroom floor. Having read some reviews I decided to take a test sit.
At 6'6" 300+ pounds, I don't have the luxury of picking the bike, they pick me. I was surprised when I was actually able to sit on this thing reasonably comfortably. I had them put the seat on the highest position, and it was better yet. I am concerned about long distance riding. I'm a daily commuter (yes year round) and generally take a couple of longish weekend rides a year (1100 to 1600 miles).

I'm curious if there are other riders my size and what their experiences are with the bike.

Thanks for your input.
6'4" 260 pounds with a 36" inseam and an '05. Knees get a bit tired on long rides, but combine as set of Wild Bill footpegs and custom seat mitigate that pretty well. 5000 in 5 days and ready for more ;)

Welcome! I'm 6'5" and 250# with a 34" inseam and I'm very comfy on my '05 (non adjustable seat). I do have to admit to having to stop every 100 miles or so just to stretch out a bit, but that's just me. Not the bikes fault. This bike works for me, your results may be different.

6'3", 240 lbs, 33" inseam, '05 owner (non-adjustable seat & bars).

I've gone through a few windshields trying to find a quiet one with good protection and I suspect you will too. The stock shield is OK for 3 seasons riding, but in 40 degree & below temps I want all the protection I can get.

'05 seat got replaced after 2 SS1K's, have a Russell that I told them to build the height up 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Now my buns are happy and my knees are happy for those 650+ mile days, no problemo...

It's gonna come down to: Ride & ride some more, make a change, ride & ride some more, make a change, etc etc. Get the Moko sliders first thing though. This bike is worth it though, I smile every time I ride...

I am 6'2, 235 and it fits me fine. I do not want to be totally out of the wind, and find I often lower the screen, not raise it. Just my 2 cents...

Welcome! I'm 6'5" and 250# with a 34" inseam and I'm very comfy on my '05 (non adjustable seat). I do have to admit to having to stop every 100 miles or so just to stretch out a bit, but that's just me. Not the bikes fault. This bike works for me, your results may be different.
Hey there! :clapping: Found that you can clean up at your local glass dealer. at 6'4'' I found that .186 or else lexan plastic has increased my window 7.5 up and almost 5 wider wow what a diference. I heated the lexan with a normal pipe torch and used ratchet ties to pull the sides in just a little, no wind no mess, just a great ride. Dave

I'm 5'18" (that's 6'6" in English measurements) at <100kg with 36" inseam.

As you say "I don't have the luxury of picking the bike, they pick me."

This is as good as it gets for tall riders.

(The girl at the Harley store told me I am too tall to ride a motorsickle.)

I predict you will like the FJR, you will love it, and you will smile everytime you ride it, as I do, even after just receiving my first performance award in some 20 years. Can't blame the bike, although that is the downside on perforamce.

There is plenty of knee room behind the faring, which I love, it allows me to move around on the seat a little, I can slide up on the tank or sit back over the break on the passenegr's seat if solo. Careful doing this, cause it changes the stearing response in a quick corner. Nice thing is that there is enough room to plant your feet on the street and move them back onto the pegs without clipping your shins on the fairing. Knee angle is just a little too acute to be completely comfortable for a tall guy, but better than what you are probably used to. (I actually like the bars forward and the seat in the lower position, though when I bought it, I thought I wanted the bars back and the seat higher. Options are nice) Wind over the top of the windshield has never bothered me, although I've read a lot of complaints about it. I like the feel of the wind, so I keep my windshield lower except when it's chilly cold, rainy, or really windy.

My main complaint is the whistle that comes off the windshield when it's raised. There's a fix posted for this, but as I've learned, the higher you sit, the louder it is, so I just croutch down a little. Sometimes I wear earplugs, sometimes I reach around and wiggle the plastic till it goes away, one of these days I'm gonna stuff some foam in the cracks, till then I'm going to bitch incessantly, but hey, it's a motorcycle, if I wanted perfection I would have bought a Lexus.

PS This is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Just put my first 600 miles on my 06 FJR and so far I absolutely love it! That said, there is one major, obvious complaint:

1. There is HORRIBLE buffeting at highway speeds. I am 6'5" and can't find a comfortable place for the windscreen above 55 mph. I go back and forth between full down (simply take the full air... at least it's relatively smooth) and about 80% up (mostly shielded but still can't see straight, literally). PLEASE NOTE: This is WITH a CalSci X-Tall windscreen! The stock one was completely useless at giving any calm air. At least with the CalSci I can be in calm at most speeds under 45. I'm reading on this forum about the VSteam screen... maybe I'll try that if they come out with one for the 06. Grr...

Other than that, I fit the bike fine. I even have the seat at the lower setting hoping that that would help with the buffeting, and so far my knees are OK. Not sure how a long ride might feel, but will let you know.

Great handling bike with tons of torque and quite comfortable other than the buffeting.

At 6'6" 300+ pounds, I don't have the luxury of picking the bike, they pick me. I was surprised when I was actually able to sit on this thing reasonably comfortably. I had them put the seat on the highest position, and it was better yet. I am concerned about long distance riding. I'm a daily commuter (yes year round) and generally take a couple of longish weekend rides a year (1100 to 1600 miles). .

Thanks for your input.

Ssshhhh!!!!! Will you keep this information quiet please? I've told my son that Mom's bike is not suitable for him. He is 6'6" tall. Dad stays off the FJR, and so should the boy. I'm 5'2" with a 27" inseam and it's MY bike. <G>

You are going to have so much fun with this bike. It just gets better and better, the more you ride it. I've had my bike for just a year. Even though it sat in the garage all summer (long story) I still racked up 13K miles. Hope to double that next year.

Jill

Ssshhhh!!!!! Will you keep this information quiet please? I've told my son that Mom's bike is not suitable for him. He is 6'6" tall. Dad stays off the FJR, and so should the boy. I'm 5'2" with a 27" inseam and it's MY bike. <G>

You are going to have so much fun with this bike. It just gets better and better, the more you ride it. I've had my bike for just a year. Even though it sat in the garage all summer (long story) I still racked up 13K miles. Hope to double that next year.

Jill
Is this true? I have a 27" inseam also and really want the bike but im worried about it. It doesnt bother you any?

6'6" 270, 35" inseam, ride with seat in upper position, I do need to stretch the legs every so often. Sometimes its just a matter of pulling to the shoulder and and standing up.

Original post was from 2006... :) If you're tall , look at these murphs peg lowering brackets
I'm 6'5" and these make a huge difference with a couple caveats, replace your footpeg feelers with metric hex cap screws for extra clearance and ride on the balls of your feet when turning. If you are already grinding your stock footpegs , then this isn't a modification for you.