Tank bag suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from being spendy, I need space for the tire pump and Dynapatch (distinct winner for plugging holes!), locks, bungee cords, and then the daily stuff, glasses, plug carrier, cleaner, etc. Factor in camera, etc. on long trips, and a small bag just doesn't work for me. But then, my mileage varies. ;D

No more magnetic tank bags for me. Where I ride, wind gusts can be strong enough to blow a magnetic tank bag over to the kill switch and shut down the bike in medias res. (heehee) This happened to me in northern NM near the VLA. My next tank bag (should I decide to acquire another) will have a rigid tank filler mount. WBill

You've hit on one of my two reasons for being uncomfortable about magnetic mounts. The other is potential damage to the paint, as the bag mounts are pressed against the tank by the magnets.

Someone suggested using painter's tape, which is reasonable, to limit damage. I guess strap mounts might also get to paint, except the strap-on bag from my last bike, an '03, showed no obvious damage. 17+ plus years of use suggests that at least that bag didn't damage the tank's paint. Assuming the material against the paint is soft enough.

Wipe dust and grit from the bag and the tank before installing. Put a clean microfiber cloth between bag and tank. I'm going to look for some of the 3M vinyl film to put on the landing points for the magnets.

Wipe dust and grit from the bag and the tank before installing. Put a clean microfiber cloth between bag and tank. I'm going to look for some of the 3M vinyl film to put on the landing points for the magnets.
Tankslapper.com

The film is cut to fit and takes care of the tank bag/scratch problem.

I have used it on two FJRs nd very happy with it.

Do you have a pillion? if not, consider a bag that straps under the rear seat. Beats a tank bag any day of the week

I just pulled the trigger on the Expanded Tank Bag kit.

There are three things to remember:

• The Tankslapper film will not work on flat finishes.
  • Do not use power washing on it.
  • The instructions describe how to manage lint, etc. from getting under the film. Read and heed!

Last edited by a moderator:
@barb Agreed that flipping a tank bag out of the way to gas up is annoying. But tank bags make a good place to have a map or route card in front of a rider. And it can also provide a dry home for a phone.

This is the bag I use, and like.

Us short girls with DDs wouldnt be able to see the map anyway, just sayin' LOL

Good place to rest them tho hmmmmmm

Therez a thought

Well. Nothing to say that wouldn't get me in deep trouble with #metoo. :)

I will say that the bag is a bargain at $109 USD or $142 CDN. It's well made and has a number of useful details. Installing the attachment points was somewhat challenging, though. The bag works best at the back of the tank. The front straps may or may not come in contact with the tank. Which makes the TankSlapper film a good idea.

Tankslapper says a 70% water / 30% alcohol solution is need to keep the Tankslapper film loose and easy to position. Do not use 70% rubbing alcohol!! It contains oils and perfume, all of which will discourage the films adhesion. Use 91% alcohol (also found in drug stores). It doesn't have anything to block adhesion. For the three other films (which double the cost - ouch) Tankslapper says to add couple of drops of Johnson & Johnson No More Tears shampoo. They specifically say that must not be used with Tankslapper film. Also, use distilled water (no mineral content).

At the end of the project, when there's no need to use it, don't throw it away. Toss in a few drops of Dawn dish detergent (either film formula). With a clean microfiber cloth, you now have a spray that can be used to clean optics (including glasses) computer screens, phone screens, etc. And best of all, you don't have to pay Lenscrafter for about the same stuff. If you have a lens cleaner sprayer, fill it with the alcohol/water mix.