Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I have never used a tank bag and am wondering if it will scratch the tank up if I do. Any input on type, style or brand will be appreciated! :yahoo:

Short answer is "maybe"...

Any brand or style of tank bag can scratch your tank.

Tank needs to be clean, and so do the contact points on the bag. Might even be good to wax the tank. If you use a strap-on bag, the straps can chafe a hole in your paint job in a hurry. Magnetic bags will scratch, especially if the magnets have managed to pick up metal dust from around the garage.

There are lots of products around to help prevent this. Tank bras, etc. I use some clear, squeegeed-on plastic stuff (can't remember the brand name) that I picked up from Aerostich. It goes on easy, peels off easy, and works.

Hope that helps.

Griff

I have scuffs. But I don't care. It's a bike to me and while I take care of it I'm not going to cry over a little "normal wear and tear."

Just ride the bike.

Get the rubber lining for shelf's from walmart/target/Home Depot.... They are perforated and spongy, cut out around the bag.

Wipe the tank before putting it on, you don't want any dirt particules under it. Haven't had a problem yet.

I am with GunMD on this one.

The bike is a tool and it is used as such.

I have a magnetic bag, as well as one that does not touch the tank but for everyday use it is the smaller magnetic one and if it blemishes the tank so be it

it most likely will scratch the tank. the bag i currently have didn't scratch my 03 but after riding through some rain the same bag scratched up my 06. but the thing is, if you always have it on, like i do, you never see the scratches!

Get the rubber lining for shelf's from walmart/target/Home Depot.... They are perforated and spongy, cut out around the bag. Wipe the tank before putting it on, you don't want any dirt particules under it. Haven't had a problem yet.
Is this the non stick rubbery stuff? It doesnt stick on, you just place it underneath.

Thanks

I have never used a tank bag and am wondering if it will scratch the tank up if I do. Any input on type, style or brand will be appreciated! :yahoo:
It's not the bag that scratches, it's the dirt/dust/grit in between. Get everything good and clean before you put it on and scratching will be minimal.

I don't worry about every little scratch, either. But, I see no reason not to prevent paint damage.

Eventually, your magnetic bag will pick up something and scratch your tank.

I use the plastic film from Tankslapper on the top of my tank.

Get the rubber lining for shelf's from walmart/target/Home Depot.... They are perforated and spongy, cut out around the bag. Wipe the tank before putting it on, you don't want any dirt particules under it. Haven't had a problem yet.
This is a good idea and something that I used to do until one day I walked over to my bike just hated the look of that lining sticking out from under the tank bag even when closely cropped.

I have since deserted to the wear-and-tear camp, and carrying a rag to keep the tank clean.

I have a tank bra and a magnetic tank bag. No scratches in 5 years in all kinds of weather, but making sure the tank is dirt free is key.

Thanks to everyone for offering their advice and personal experiences. Just like a new car, things happen, although I try to take the best care possible to prevent some unforseen circumstances, it would be ridiculous to think everything can be prevented. Thanks again!!

So here's my experience with tank bags.

I'm on my second one in twelve years and 100,000 plus miles. Ride with it on 98% of the time. The only scratch I ever got was when I pulled the bag up without lifting the side flaps first. It probably could have been buffed out easily. I never use any pad or tank slapper type of product. I have a small spray bottle of detail type cleaner and spray the tank each morning before putting the bag on and other than that, nothing. Just be a little careful and you should stay scratch free. The "soft paint of my 06 still shines.

Latest posts