Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Just purchased a Cargo Endurance Sport Tank Bag with magnetic mount. It says in the literature that you should use an item called Motrax Wonder Web between the bag and the paint to protect the paint. No one has this material that I can find in the U.S. but it is in the UK. But to me the material is nothing more than the rubberized material sold at Sears to line your tool box or home stores to line your shelves. Anyone use a protective material between your tank bag and the paint? I've never used a tank bag and I sure don't want to ruin the paint on my tank. Any help? Thanks, PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
painman,

I am going to use a BIG MAK tank bag and rack.

I have it on my BMW and the bag never touches the paint and the design allows for the bag to flip up for fueling.

www.cyclegadgets.com

i use the rubberized tool box liner material. Picked up a whole roll at lowe's.

the only negative is that after a dusty ride, there is a build up of dust in the little holes. No biggie, just clean it every now and then. If dust and abrasive grit builds up it could scratch your paint.

The only way a magnetic tank bag wont scratch your paint is if you keep it in the saddle bags :rolleyes: . You can put a plastic film on to midigate the dammage, but eventually something unseen will scratch your tank. My Marsee stays in my saddle bag on the FJR, and on the tank when I'm on the 2 fiddy (tanks scratched up already so I don't care).

I have a chase harper tank bag that I used on 6 different bikes in the last 10 years and never had a single scratch... so if you scratch your tank its either because the bag you got sucks or your not as anal as I am about checking the bag before you slap it on the tank...

Don't set it in the floor... if it falls in the floor, check for anything on it that could scratch the paint... mostly common sense stuff ... a lot of times i just left it on the bike because my bikes always stay in the garage anyway... i have a new one on order because i had had this one so long the padding is starting to crumble from age...check the bag, check the bag everytime you put it on the tank and you won't have scratches...

I ordered the expandable one from yamaha this time...Hope I get the same service from it that I got from the chase...

khrome

Don't set it in the floor... if it falls in the floor, check for anything on it that could scratch the paint... mostly common sense stuff ... a lot of times i just left it on the bike because my bikes always stay in the garage anyway... i have a new one on order because i had had this one so long the padding is starting to crumble from age...check the bag, check the bag everytime you put it on the tank and you won't have scratches...
Yeah, what he said. I would make sure the tankbag you're using has the magnets sewn into soft material that is compatible with paint. I've not seen any without this, but you never know. I've been using magnetic tank bags for about 5 years now and haven't had any issues. I do have tankslapper film installed, but that's for my knobby knees against the tank. The tank bags I've used are Roadgear and currently a Cortech Mini and so far so good! Go for it!

Thanks for the great feedback and one question is you guys who use the magnetic setup on the tank, is it also necessary to also strap the bag down or will the magnets alone suffice? The magnets on the Cargo bag are really strong and it also says it could damage credit cards or sensitive electrical devices. I'm sure this is going to work fine and the main reason I purchased the bag is for the ability to use the map case onboard the tank and it can be used as a tail bag. It also has a map case to use under the bag when removed which I thought pretty cool. Even if I get a GPS later this bag will still be of great use. Thanks again, Del. <>< ;)

I've never used my retaining straps, the magnets seem to do a good enough job. I've never had a problem with the magnets and electronics either. I tend to store my iPod in the tank bag when it's not in use. I'd never heard of anyone loosing a magnetic bag untill I ran across one of the guys at the fallen officer ride a couple weeks ago in LA. He was telling me how his magnetic bag just up and dissapeared at speed one day. Blew right off. YMMV

Thanks for the great feedback and one question is you guys who use the magnetic setup on the tank, is it also necessary to also strap the bag down or will the magnets alone suffice? The magnets on the Cargo bag are really strong and it also says it could damage credit cards or sensitive electrical devices. I'm sure this is going to work fine and the main reason I purchased the bag is for the ability to use the map case onboard the tank and it can be used as a tail bag. It also has a map case to use under the bag when removed which I thought pretty cool. Even if I get a GPS later this bag will still be of great use. Thanks again, Del. <>< ;)
Hey Del, I'm the inventor of CarverTape, pm me for the price per roll. :rolleyes: Seriously, I have the worst case scenario going on regarding tank scratches due to the magnetic bag moving around because I have nearly 6 miles daily of dirt road to travel, and I ride pretty much every day. The dirt kicks up, gets under the tank bag, and bummer city. My dirt road is fairly fast, 45 to 50, so the little particle's easily get kicked up.TWN makes fun of how ugly my blue painters tape is but fact is, it sticks, even after a wash or two, yet doesn't leave any gum residue and nothing gets under it.

If your situation is less severe, I bet another solution would be adequate.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the link Don, good info. Good point from the link as Nelson-Rigg said, be "very" carefull because of the magnets will attract particles that will scratch the paint and to lift the magnets of the paint not slide it off. Just a good reminder. I have the Tank Slapper kit ready to go on and along with the rubberized mesh should be good to go. :specool: PM. <><

I've never used my retaining straps, the magnets seem to do a good enough job. I've never had a problem with the magnets and electronics either. I tend to store my iPod in the tank bag when it's not in use. I'd never heard of anyone loosing a magnetic bag untill I ran across one of the guys at the fallen officer ride a couple weeks ago in LA. He was telling me how his magnetic bag just up and dissapeared at speed one day. Blew right off. YMMV
A serious cross wind can make any magnetic tank bag a little unstable, but in that situation I don't think the retaining strap would help much - other than dangling the bag into your bar ends. I have a Cortech Mini magnetic tank bag, and the last time I went over Cajon Pass on I-15 I hit some 45mph cross winds that made the bag billow uncomfortably. For the record, I don't care much for heavy cross winds when riding, and not just because it makes my tank bag flutter.

i can't see my bag moving from wind on the fjr... i ran it on naked bikes without straps and without problems... lots of 100+mph bursts along the way... if it needs straps i would have to ditch it and find something else.... to me the straps would be how you would end up with rubs on the paint if your not careful..

khrome

A serious cross wind can make any magnetic tank bag a little unstable, but in that situation I don't think the retaining strap would help much - other than dangling the bag into your bar ends. I have a Cortech Mini magnetic tank bag, and the last time I went over Cajon Pass on I-15 I hit some 45mph cross winds that made the bag billow uncomfortably. For the record, I don't care much for heavy cross winds when riding, and not just because it makes my tank bag flutter.
On the YAMAHA tank bag...the magnet is so strong you don't need to worry about wind...seriously. You can darn near pick up the bike with that magnet...

On the YAMAHA tank bag...the magnet is so strong you don't need to worry about wind...seriously. You can darn near pick up the bike with that magnet...

Awesome, I just ordered one, along with a touring windshield and rain gear set. Was wondering how stable the yamy bag was because it didn't have the butterfly flaps like most others. But at $89 on sale, I couldn't pass it up. Good to hear something good about them.