Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also a minimal minimalist, I also have the smaller Nelson-Rigg, I don't even use the hardbags, the Nelson easily holds the one spare pair of underwear I bring on my week long stints.
Rad, if you turn 'em inside out, they're good for another week. It'll save you some space. ;)
Underwear? Who the hell wears underwear? :glare:

Rapid Transit Recon 19

I've had one for over a year now and find it to fit my needs well.

I especialy like the fact that it has provisions for hydration pack and line out for headphones.

Tim

+1 on the CL300 Mini Mag. I got it to hold a hydration bladder so as to get the camel off my back.
Capt. Bob
OK Guys -- thanks for all the suggestions. I've ordered a Nelson-Rigg CL-300. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.

That looks almost perfect-mine is a little smaller, and is lacking the waterproof hole for cordage, a bummer because the pocket they show in the top holds my MixIt2 perfectly. I may just have to look into that unit. My other complaint is that the map holder is pretty tiny-better be a good folder and stuffer. The magnets are mega strong too.

Radman- I think I have the same tankbag you do (the one you or someone pointed to for under $20.00). I also have a larger Neilson-Riggs, & it has a larger map holder, & the top or bottom snaps (your choice :) & the Velcro lines up so I used it at WFO. The magnets were strong enough that I removed the two under the bag so I wouldn't worry about killing my camera or phone- still wouldn't budge w/a 60mph crosswind!

James

ML,

In my quest for the perfect tank bag, I've been looking at the FAMSA as well. It appears to be a great system as I'm not a big fan of magnetic bags. Since you have one on a FJR, a few questions...

View of the instrument cluster -

I assume that with the small (upper) bag mounted by itself, there is no problem. What about with the lower bag by itself? With both bags can you see anything? Also, I have a stem mount for my Zumo and I really like it there. Do you think that would be a problem?

Fuel -

Do you just unzip the bag? Is that much of a problem?

Mounting -

What did you use for mounting points? Is it fairly easy to remove the base for cleaning? Did you use anything under the base (tankslapper, etc.)?

Also, just out of curiosity, did you look at the Sw-Motech (Bags Connection) Quick Lock bags? They look pretty neat as well.

Thanks

I use a small First Gear tank bag for immediate needs i.e. sunglasses, cell phone, ipod other small misc goodies. works good for me and I can see all instruments.

shuttle1988: pardon the delayed response. Out making use of the fine weahter we're having up here in OR! Answers as follows:

View of instrument cluster: bear in mind that I'm 6'2" and ride with the seat raised, so the answer is relative. For me, there is no problem viewing the instruments except when the top and bottom bags are piggy-backed and the bottom bag is fully expanded. I can see only the top third of the instruments in that circumstance. I use an MLC triple-tree clamp nut mount w/ 1 3/4" RAM short arm for my GPS (Magellan 4040 w/ traffic receiver mount that I use in my truck as well) and can see it fine.

Fueling: Yes. Simply unzip the bag. It's quite easy to zip/unzip.

Mounting: the system that I ordered has a base/platform that is tailored specifically for the FJR1300 (246/29), so it fits beautifully. Here are a couple of shots of the 3 attach points:

Front attach point (attach point 1): strap wraps under and around frame directly in front of tank

FAMSAAttachPointFront.jpg

Rear attach points (attach points 2 & 3): two hooks "hook" to the lip of the gas tank under and just in front of the seat

FAMSAAttachPointRear.jpg

And yes, it's very easy to remove the base/platform for cleaning; takes all of a few seconds at most. There was no need to add additional padding or non-skid under the base/platrform. What's there is more than adequate.

I met a fellow FJR rider that has the SW-Motech bag with the quick lock system. Personally, I'm not a fan. I don't like the "floating" look of the bag when mounted, and it is more difficult than it appears to mount/dismount the bag (it certainly takes practice at the very least).

Hope this helps!

ML-

Thanks for your reply. It looks like this FAMSA bag may be the winner. Even though I'm short and ride with the seat in the low position, it looks like using either of the bags alone would not be a problem. I really like the fact that you can put on the base and just leave it there. In my experience, most of the scratches come when putting the bag on and taking it off. Time to make a call and get out the credit card. Thanks again.

Well, I just ordered the Famsa Bag. Tired of cheap tank bags not lasting, zippers, tears, and etc...

My buddy Rick has one on his BMW and it is great. I was admiring it especially as we were gassing up during a long trip. I love the base pad concept. anyway I'll post some pix when I get it.

Anyone know the brand name of the tank bag that attaches with a camera-lens-style bayonet fitting that attaches to the gas filler trim ring? Takes a 90 degree turn and the bag comes right off. Saw one in an ad or video recently, but didn't get the brand name, but I liked the looks of the attachment system.

As previously discussed:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...489&hl=tank

... and as stated in post #21, Nelson-Rigg CL-350 for me. My all time favorite long distance tank bag. :)

Best wishes for finding one that meets your needs.

AGirl
This one gets my vote as well. I use it for every day short trips or long distance. Never comes off except at petrol stations. Do a Google search for Nelson Rigg CL350 and you can beat New Enough's price by at least $10.00, and probably more. $69 - $72. Was $70.95 at extragear1 in May when I purchased. Has since gone up.

https://www.extragear1.com/get_list_1179.htm

Yet another 'minimalist' with a Nelson Rigg CL300 magnetic bag (currently smallest one, I was told).

JC

Yet another 'minimalist' with a Nelson Rigg CL300 magnetic bag (currently smallest one, I was told). JC
I just ordered a CL300 for a project. Going to build up a communications bag that will transfer from bike to bike. It will hold a Starcom Advance, with all the goodies (volume control, PTT, satellite radio, iPod). The CL300 seemed to be a good platform. If its done correctly, I should only need to plug in power and strap on the PTT, although I'm still struggling with how to make the PTT switch easy to attach and remove quickly.

I just ordered a CL300 for a project. Going to build up a communications bag that will transfer from bike to bike. It will hold a Starcom Advance, with all the goodies (volume control, PTT, satellite radio, iPod). The CL300 seemed to be a good platform. If its done correctly, I should only need to plug in power and strap on the PTT, although I'm still struggling with how to make the PTT switch easy to attach and remove quickly.
Dude, you related to Carmen?

04azcarmen.jpg