TBS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I changed plugs (hope the theory that Iridiums are gapped correctly is right!) and did a TBS while everything was open. At 1000-1100 rpm I couldn't get the #3 cylinder to reach 25 cm of vacuum even with the screw turned all the way in. I synched them a cm or two lower. Am I alright? TIA Ian, Iowa

IIRC (sold my 05, waiting to get my 06), it's not the absolute value but how close the cylinders are to each other on the gauge w/#3 being the baseline. Here's a link to the procedure on fjrtech.com clicky here

And, if you're using mercury sticks, double check the markings. There's a batch of those that are floating around with the numbers skipped wrong. The end result is the displayed 24 mm is really 25 (iirc).

Yup Bounce, that was it. I measured and 10" from the top of the mercury which should be 254mm was 240. Hopefully, I'm alright. I had almost 34,000 miles on the original plugs, they looked good and I was still getting good MPG. Since I'm going on an extended trip, I replaced them. Thanks again. Ian, Iowa