TBS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothblue

Reaction score
That time has come. I need to purchase a set of tubes to do my 'first' TBS. I know I've seen this mentioned before, but wanted 'fresh' information before I took the plunge and purchased the tool. I understand the level of improvement that a periodic TBS can mean regarding performance and want to be set-up to do it myself. I'd appreciate any opinions on which device to buy and where it might be purchased least expensively. You folks have given me tons of great info and this will just be some more. All my recent purchases (riding gear, tires, tank protection, hand-guards and tank bag) have been premised on your input. I am sure this purchase will be no different. Thanks for your help! :clap:

That time has come. I need to purchase a set of tubes to do my 'first' TBS. I know I've seen this mentioned before, but wanted 'fresh' information before I took the plunge and purchased the tool. I understand the level of improvement that a periodic TBS can mean regarding performance and want to be set-up to do it myself. I'd appreciate any opinions on which device to buy and where it might be purchased least expensively. You folks have given me tons of great info and this will just be some more. All my recent purchases (riding gear, tires, tank protection, hand-guards and tank bag) have been premised on your input. I am sure this purchase will be no different. Thanks for your help! :clap:
It took me a second to figure out what the hell you were talking about, but I'm going to assume you're looking to do a throttle body sync and want to buy a set of synchronizers. Here's hoping I'm right, because I'm a really slow typist. :D

I just did my first TB sync on the FJR about two weeks ago (I've only had the bike about two months now). Now that I've done it once, I see no reason to ever put it off, because it was ridiculously simple. It sounds to me like you've read up on the procedure and understand how it's done, you just want to know where to buy the tool. The short answer is...it doesn't really matter. Any simple set of mercury synchronizers will do the job. I have the basic Motion Pro synchronizers that I've used for years, and they do the job just fine. The FJR may be a high tech bike, but the basic laws of physics haven't changed...gravity still works, mercury is still heavy, and vacuum still sucks. :p Do a little online searching at the biggies like Chaparal or MAW, then check some of the vendors affiliated with the forum here like Sportbikeeffects.com (support those who support you!) and decide where you want to buy.

The whole job took me a whopping 20 minutes, and I'm sure I could do it faster next time, so fear not...it's easier than it sounds and it doesn't sound that hard.

May the force be with you. :assasin:

I wanted to avoid mercury so, Morgan Carbtune for me. I read some articles comparing their accuracy and they sounded good. IIRC I bought them direct.

I received my Morgan Carbtune today. I bought directly from Morgan in Belfast. The tool is top quality. It costs about 100 bucks with the exchange rate, shipping included. Buy direct from Morgan. I ordered mine online on 11/29. It came in todays mail, 12/3. Others have bought from some middle man shops and paid just as much and had to wait longer to get it.

I thought motion pro also, but for the little amount of difference in price-60 bucks, no mercury to mess with, the tool can be stored horizontal in your tool box, not hung on the wall to keep the merc from spilling, this is a no brainer. You can get it cheaper if you don't buy the pouch, but it is pretty cool also. The tool and hoses, fittings fit well inside it, and it is well padded to to protect your investment. Check their site before you buy anything else. This is the shit.

click me

:D Thanks you guys. I 'm sorry that my initial post didn't say TB sync. I thought everyone would know what I was talking about. Most everyone here uses acronyms, so I figured I'd get on board. I regret any confusion this may have caused. Great information and I will weigh the mercury concerns (and the storage implications) with the more expensive options. Thanks again! :)

FWIW, I knew exactly what you meant when I saw the title of your post. I work with acronyms so much that people from the outside think we are talking in code around the office :lol: . Anyway, I bought the Carbtune for the same reasons the others responders have given, no mercury to spill and simple to store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motion Pro here. I store the unit in a closet in the garage. Little chance of spillage, unless I fumble while doing the TBS.

Back in the day when I handled nuclear weapons (no, really) I didn't drop one, so I figure I can deal with a couple of tablespoons of mercury. :D

I, rather than support businesses than employ the downtrodden in mercury poisoned sweatshops at a non-living wage, built my own using all organic and/or natural mineral deposits found locally. It takes only two hours to warm to operating temperature, and the 7 people I employ to operate it have full Union benefits and retirement guaranteed. You kapitalists just keep destroying the planet and exploiting the worker class, you'll get yours!! Da!!

loom5.jpg

All will do the job, but I think the Morgan is worth the extra for ease of use, ease of storage, and not having a device that will eventually put mercury into the environment.

- Mark

Update. I used my Morgan today. VERY easy to use . VERY easy to read te gauge. I am so glad I spent the extra few bucks to get this. I usually price shop stuff, but sometimes with tools, the extra money is well spent. And it stores in my toolbox. Takes up less space than a small socket and ratchet set.

Ride safe- and don't spill anything.

I, rather than support businesses than employ the downtrodden in mercury poisoned sweatshops at a non-living wage, built my own using all organic and/or natural mineral deposits found locally. It takes only two hours to warm to operating temperature, and the 7 people I employ to operate it have full Union benefits and retirement guaranteed. You kapitalists just keep destroying the planet and exploiting the worker class, you'll get yours!! Da!!
loom5.jpg
What the hell IS that thing?

I like the mercury sticks...the mercury gives me something to play with when I'm bored..

Hey mg, by the look of your pics here, don't you mean meat stick? :dribble:

It took me a second to figure out what the hell you were talking about, but I'm going to assume you're looking to do a throttle body sync and want to buy a set of synchronizers. Here's hoping I'm right, because I'm a really slow typist. :D

I just did my first TB sync on the FJR about two weeks ago (I've only had the bike about two months now). Now that I've done it once, I see no reason to ever put it off, because it was ridiculously simple. It sounds to me like you've read up on the procedure and understand how it's done, you just want to know where to buy the tool. The short answer is...it doesn't really matter. Any simple set of mercury synchronizers will do the job. I have the basic Motion Pro synchronizers that I've used for years, and they do the job just fine. The FJR may be a high tech bike, but the basic laws of physics haven't changed...gravity still works, mercury is still heavy, and vacuum still sucks. :p Do a little online searching at the biggies like Chaparal or MAW, then check some of the vendors affiliated with the forum here like Sportbikeeffects.com (support those who support you!) and decide where you want to buy.

The whole job took me a whopping 20 minutes, and I'm sure I could do it faster next time, so fear not...it's easier than it sounds and it doesn't sound that hard.

May the force be with you. :assasin:
You made it sound so easy that I just put in my order for a Morgan Carbtune with the pouch. I am looking forward to getting the 06 and starting some of my own maintenance.

Just did my TB sync tonight and I'm getting frustrated with the MotionPro guage. I'm getting bubbles in the glass column as I'm running the engine so I have to turn it off or else finesse the throttle a few times to get the separated mercury to join together. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I'm interested in the Morgan instrument discussed in this thread, and went to their homepage. It looks kind of like a miniature MotionPro setup, what exactly is in the colums? Is it more mercury, hence the same problem, or some other type of fluid or ?, and is it durable?

The Morgan does not use mercury. Instead it has precision stainless steel rods that slide up and down in the tubes. No muss, no fuss, as stated by others. I found one on Ebay in new condition for about $60. Worth looking there if price is a concern.

Bubbles in the mercury was mentioned several times in another thread on this topic, so you're not the only one. Morgan solves this for you.

I use the Motion Pro, took about 20min first time, and probably can do it in 10 mins next time, without removing the plastic side covers (just unbolt and swing out of the way) and leave the T-Bar. My next idea is to combine and relocate the tbs lines together, so it will be easier to remove the rubber caps and install the sync tool, without trying to fit my fingers between the all those hoses.

I like the cheap murcury carbstix from Cycle Gear. Easy to use.

Besides, I only use free-range mercury harvested by hand by workers paid a living wage with health benefits and a non-smoking workplace....

Besides, just think--the more mercury mined and captured in carb-stix, the less heavy-metal in the earth poisoning Mother Gaia.

Latest posts