TBS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morgan Carbtune is the nuts
How about an early April tech day some Sat at your place? :D I could use a quick TBS "under supervision" of course. ;) I've never done one and am at 63K km. BTW I can throw the yamaha steering nut spanner in the party for anyone wanting/needing to adjust the steering although I haven't used it myself. (Should of checked when I had my forks off for the new Wilber springs but forgot...)

Note that each heavy red line division on the Morgan is equal to one block on the Toxic Tune™ The Motion Pro offers much better scale resolution over the Morgan.

carb20sticks20sm.jpg

two things on the issue.....

Airport Security does not like the look of the Morgan Carbtune in your carry-on luggage when they run it through the X-ray machine. Don't ask how I know.

When I checked the synch, I promptly lost one of the little springy clips into the nether regions. Is this something I should go out of my way to replace? I wasn't terribly concerned because my other bike (the Bandit1200) didn't even have any clips on it at all. Even w/o the clips, the caps were pretty hard to get off. But could a healthy backfire pop the cap off? Would you believe that those little clippies are over $2 each from Yamaha?

Thanks guy, I think I see a Morgan in my future except I like the idea the MP has a finer scale. What to do, hmmmm.

Thanks guy, I think I see a Morgan in my future except I like the idea the MP has a finer scale.  What to do, hmmmm.
@prshguy - I wouldn't worry about the scale markings. The actual levels don't matter a bit. All that matters are that all 4 columns are level with each other, and you could probably determine that even with no scale markings at all. FWIW, I'm on a tight budget but I plan to go with the Morgan. I had the mercury stix years ago and always worried that I'd slip and dump the mercury out. :bigeyes: :)

Motion Pro! No reason to fear the mecury. Just be careful!

I don't get it...we get on a two-wheel conveyance in all kinds of weather amongst ass-hat cage drivers doing anything expect watching out for us, but then we worry about fumbling a shot glass of mecury. :D

Hey, it's your money. Spend it like you wish.

I don't get it...we get on a two-wheel conveyance in all kinds of weather amongst ass-hat cage drivers doing anything expect watching out for us, but then we worry about fumbling a shot glass of mecury.
+1

I am seriously considering getting one of the MotionPro adapters from SportbikeEffects.

https://www.sportbikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8509

A quick read of the description says I need the 6mm adapter for Yamaha's. But then there is a note saying Throttle bodies don't need the adaptor but that I should check with the service manual.

Well, I'm at work and dont have access to the manual. So.... For the FJR application do I require the adapters? And even if I dont would it maybe be a good idea to order them anyways in case I want to use the tool on another bike?

And if I do get the motion pro, what does the "Deluxe" offer that the "Economy" doesn't. It looks like the econo is sheet steel body while the deluxe is plastic. Is this a big deal?

- Colin

PS. Now that I've typed this I'm thinking order the 6mm adapters anyways. But I would still like to know if they are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if I do get the motion pro, what does the "Deluxe" offer that the "Economy" doesn't. It looks like the econo is sheet steel body while the deluxe is plastic. Is this a big deal?
The Economy has a sheet steel backing with the mercury tubes sort of floating in front of the backing. The 4 mercury tubes are clamped at the top and bottom of the stick. You have to buy adapters if you want to tune some other brand motorcycle.

The Deluxe has the mercury tubes protected and supported inside the plastic housing. IMO, the Deluxe is easier to read with the scale on the front. The Deluxe comes with the adapters that will let you sync other machines.

A quick read of the description says I need the 6mm adapter for Yamaha's. But then there is a note saying Throttle bodies don't need the adaptor but that I should check with the service manual.
No adapters needed for the FJR.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished my TBS yesterday.......took me 45min.....and that was just to clean up the MERCURY SPILL!!!!! 911 :eek: It's a good thing I keep the original container that the mercury was sent in. I only spilled a few drops onto the packing blanket I had on the ground..then some of those got in between the layers of the blanket...now I got a real mess. Got it all back into the container then taped it close real good and will keep it till I throw this Motion Pro away.

The reason it spilled was the little hose in back of the mercury resevoir for venting had shrunk over time and was not seating good. I have now put silicone around the hose and fitting. I would suggest that anyone else using this thing to do the same.

For the record, and in spite of my earlier post in favor of the Morgan, I ended up getting the Motion Pro Economy unit from www.mawonline.com. The unit is pretty basic, but it does the job. I'm concerned about mercury spills and am extra careful when handling the unit, especially after seeing the previous post, but it's not enough to lose sleep over. I'm happy. ;)

Come on you guys :lol: We all played with mercury when we were in school why the hell we so worried about it now, we ain't dead yet :lol: Plus we're eating a little now and then.

I just can't see why yer all knotted up over a little spill. how many of you guys wear gloves when changing oil? or pumpin' gas, an our wives use a nasty hazmat to remove nail polish. yeesh <_<

Give me the mercury unit anyday. Gauges have to be calibrated, Slide Tubes need cleaning and moving parts, Fluids and slack tubes just make more sense to me.

:jester: