Tech Day XII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...if your roomie hadn't shared that you two have the honeymoon suite for Friday night
whistle.gif
...JSNS
dumbdumber6.jpg

Man, I'm going to get banned from Tech Days.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI...I will be bringing a set of LR4 LED lights (got them from LED Rider Garage Sale), Wynpro Gen 2 mounting brackets (never used), and a Skene controller (never used)...bought for my 06, and never installed. I don't think I'll need them on the 16...so I think $180 is fair

FYI...I will be bringing a set of LR4 LED lights (got them from LED Rider Garage Sale), Wynpro Gen 2 mounting brackets (never used), and a Skene controller (never used)...bought for my 06, and never installed. I don't think I'll need them on the 16...so I think $180 is fair
And I will have a Wynpro Bigfoot for a Gen 3. It was installed and I found out I scrape it when riding hard so I uninstalled it!

So Ray & I are coming into Owosso and it looks like the Geek has already left his mark on Owosso....

IMG_3170.jpg

We made sure to make a stop for supplies....

IMG_3171-M.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...... Almond Joys bars, only in America.

The helos were flying overhead as we rolled into the Bust's abode....

DSC_0001-L.jpg

Bust had been busy arming up to repel the Great White North Liberation Army.....

DSC_0003-L.jpg

Wayne rolled in with a set of forks off his DRZ. It seems that when you put the seals in upside down the forks tend to pump the fork oil out rather than keep the oil in.....

https://vimeo.com/164796002

to be cont'd

We had just completed the correct assembly of Wayne's forks when Timmy arrived. We had asked those people doing valve checks to try and make it Friday night to give the bikes a chance to cool down before the actual Tech Day. We started the disassembly as more hooligans starting arriving for the Friday night preliminaries. Bust has holding court while Wayne and Griff were trying to ignore him....

DSC_0009-L.jpg

We admonished Timmy on his hodgepodge wiring job...

DSC_0005-L.jpg

While most of the attendees were finding their way to the beer fridge Ray and Cav47 were one of the few actually trying to accomplish something....

DSC_0006-L.jpg

Actually Ray was working, Cav47 was watching while shovelling pizza into his pie hole.

Meanwhile Timmy was telling some fish story about how big it was but even the dog didn't believe him....

DSC_0016-L.jpg

(to be cont'd)

Made it home safe...fucking rained the whole way (250 miles). Despite that...I had a great time, again. Thanks for all that helped. And a special thanks to Ray, for the gifts (cigars & color matched key blanks).

Now I guess I'll need to clean it up for SEO in a couple of weeks...

Tech day is wrapped up for almost everyone. The amount of stuff done today was staggering. Timmy is finishing his wiring after replacing some stuff on his throttle.

Billy and Ray babysat me though a huge amount of stuff. My bike was in bay one for the last 2 days pretty much.

My list included

Valve check and shim. Had to do one intake. We shimmed 5 total to put them all back into the middle of the specs. 2 intake and 3 exhaust were near the spec, so Billy held my hand to fix it.

Throttle body sync

Spark Plugs

CCT

Coolant Flush

Cruise Control Trouble Shoot

Heated gear lead was fixed by Tim.

And a few other things.

Griff was the Gen 1 wizard. He was super helpful in putting back all the screws and miscellaneous fasteners back in. He also trouble shot a few other things.

I honestly and not sure what I am more amazed about...either the knowledge and ability of the folks here or their generosity in helping anyone do anything!! Truly grateful.

Wow. What an amazing time I had at my first tech day. We were able to rebuild my forks, do a throttle body sync and change my cct. A big thanks to all who helped me get my bike back to running order. Great food, great people and great stories!

Thanks again! Look forward to next time!

What great hosts Bust and his wife for once again putting on this event!

Can't say enough about the generosity of everyone who contributes to make these tech days such a success!

This year thanks to everyone who pitched in and helped get my CCT swapped out, coolant flushed, throttle bodies synched, and LR-4's returned to normal operating duty!

Another awesome Tech Day!!

Huge thanks to Barry and Sheila for opening up their home to all the riff-raff; To Ray and Bill for their help on all the various projects going on at once!

And the sweetest sound of the day was Tim's bike firing up and settling into the typical FJR idle after swapping out the fuel rail.

w

Rolled in about 12:15PM. Definitely time for new boots. High mode on the grips didn't work so I had to settle for low. A casualty of putting the bike back together I'm assuming. Fortunately, that's a wiring issue and that's right in my wheelhouse. Bike ran much better on the way home. Throttle response improved and the cruise control engaged much easier. Mileage may have improved a little. Had 35 MPG on the way there, 38 on the way back. Something may still be up there. I'm not really sure what I should be expecting with 51k on the clock, but I'm open to suggestions.

Even though I suffered from the "first bike apart, last one back together" curse in the dreaded right garage spot, I ended up with a better bike. I cleaned up moved my rats nest wiring to under the seat and I've got more to clean up there. That and the heated grips will give me something to do at Tech Day 2017.

A big thanks to Wayne for taking a 3 hour detour to get a new fuel rail. It was an awesome testament to the generosity and spirit of Tech Day. Also thanks to Ray & Bill for helping verify that nothing is wrong with my valves or CCT. But without that, I never would have stumbled on to the fuel pressure regulator problem. The hospitality of our hosts, Bust & Ms, Bust, as well as Nick and Cory's help putting the bike back together is also appreciated.

I'm truly impressed with the amount of knowledge and skill that is available. All I can bring is a soldering iron and gratitude. I do believe that every bike that was touched left in better working order than when it started.

Timmy's bike was interesting. The pressure relief valve on the fuel rail appeared to be defective. Wayne made a 3 hour round trip back to his place to bring back a complete throttle body assembly that he had salvaged from Darth Vader. We swapped out the fuel rail and injectors but when we fired the bike up it was running very rough.

While plugging in the test lines on my Vacuumate we found a number on vacuum leaks including a missing vacuum plug on #1 cylinder. Once we fixed the leaks and did a quick TBS the bike idled much better.

Thanks to Bust and especially Sheila for their hospitality in hosting this event and to Andy and Sooze for their input in making things go smoothly.

Ray once again worked too hard and made me feel like a slacker. We may have to institute a policy about working on bikes till midnight however since it was cutting into Happy Hour and we didn't have time to make our usual crank phone call to Zilla.

Just a heads up for the ones who saw me struggle a little with my bike at a stand still. I made it back home without incident.

I had a great time this weekend and learned a lot. Thanks for the opportunity to get in on this.

What a great day yesterday. Thanks to the amazing hosts, the knowledgeable mechanics, and the awesome friends that I met.

This bike, and accompanying friends, have taught me many lessons. Some that I am still learning on the fly. (Aka- FJR and beach sand don't mix). With that being said, the next time that I think it's a great idea to follow Wayne 90 miles in the blasted rain, and at 11:30 at night.... Someone please smack me upside the head.

I don't mind riding in rain. I don't mind riding after dark. But riding after dark in the rain sucks some major cojones. :)

A few thoughts on this...

riding after dark in the rain sucks some major cojones.
She said those exact words over the Sena about 10 minutes after we got on I-75 last night.

the next time that I think it's a great idea to follow Wayne 90 miles in the blasted rain, and at 11:30 at night.... Someone please smack me upside the head
Next time, Wayne is going to either a) get a hotel room or
cool.png
sleep on the garage floor... BUT, I did offer two outs for this - first was the "ride home @ 3p to get the throttle body and return in the car" option, and the second was, "we should just turn around and find somewhere to stay".

I don't mind riding in rain. I don't mind riding after dark
This was just a training session for our first IBR, adding one more layer to the challenge...

And in the end of it all, there was no sweeter sound than Tim's blue bass boat firing up and ending up at a normal idle after some final yamafitter massaging. Makes that 90 mile endurance run on the DRZ all that much sweeter (but I do think the DRZ flipped me the bird when I walked past it this morning!).

Home safe

Just pulled into the garage and unpacked.

I babied the bike back to the hotel last night. (why do you ask? Well seeing the bike so torn apart that you could actually see into its Soul makes a non mechanic like me super nervous). I know Billy and Ray(and others) were watchin me the while time so I didn't mess anything up but I am still astonished it ran again. Then as the day wore on, I felt better and better about giving her more throttle.

I can definitely tell there is more power and smoother across the rev spectrum. Before when I was passing, I had to either roll into it or wait for the rush of power after cracking the throttle open. There is no wait for the crack of the whip. Feels like it did 37K miles ago.

Another reason the people on this forum are some of the best I have ever met!!

Mr and Mrs bust are the first rate kind of people this world needs to look up to. Thanks again.

...but I do think the DRZ flipped me the bird when I walked past it this morning!
Well you rode her hard and put her away wet. What do you think was going to happen. Next time you have the DRZ out in the dirt I would not be surprised if she bucks you off onto your head.

Rolled into Beautiful Downtown Bowmanville slightly before 18:30. I had an all news Torontard radio station on and the Toronto traffic on the 401 had gone into full retard mode so I took out a mortgage on the house to pay the toll to use the 407 Toll Road.

I'm a bit bummed that the bike maintenance went into overtime since I had brought the hockey gear being Saturday night and all. It just isn't a Saturday night without some hockey and since the Maple Laughs are already on the golf course I was figuring on having our own game. Sheila was up for it.

https://vimeo.com/164935005