Tech Day XII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little green princess is going to get plenty of love at FODS and NAFO...

...but I do think the DRZ flipped me the bird when I walked past it this morning!
Well you rode her hard and put her away wet. What do you think was going to happen. Next time you have the DRZ out in the dirt I would not be surprised if she bucks you off onto your head.

I did fail to throw out a shout out to Mr. and Mrs. Bust for hosting. It was quite a spread and very generous to open your home to a bunch of hooligans.

As a side note, My MPG went from 41 to 43 after the work we did.

Thanks again. I also made it home safe and the bike is unpacked and waiting for me to pay her some more attention.

Thanks to Barry and Sheila for hosting us hooligans again! Thanks to Ray for helping me do my first valve check at 36k miles and as usual Ginger didn't need anything other than to be put back together. Thanks to Andy for taking the lead on the organizing.

However, you Michigan peeps can keep your cold and rain! We left when it was 45º and drizzling but when we arrived in Indy it was sunny and almost 80º.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made to it Lexington, KY about 7 pm to stay with the inlaws. Glad to see that rain and 46 degrees in my mirrors as I left the frozen north. A big thanks to The Busts for their hospitality.and as always it was nice to see old friends and meet new ones. Hope my meager attempt at future south east tech/wreck sessions are as successful.

Thanks to Barry and his wife for hosting (and for the food and that pulled pork)!

Even though didn't need anything done on the bike this year, was great to meet some of the riders in the area and see the display of mechanical skills in action.

Ride Safe.

Don

It's a wrap for Tech Day XII.

After enjoying some oat sodas with friends at home on Friday evening, Sooze and I arrived at Tech Day at a 'casual' time. There were quite a few bikes there, and several were torn down. WAY down. As has been said, extrememarine made a 180-mile round-trip (plus 90 more to get back home) to get parts for DesignFlaw's bike. Talk aboot above and beyond...

All in all, LOTS of work got done this go-round. It was great to see the same number of bikes getting ridden home as got ridden in.

Since 2015 was an epic low-mileage-riding year for me, my bike didn't need squat but I wired up heated gloves so that others could learn from my mistakes and laugh at my lack of mechanical ability. Some are made to teach, others to teach by (bad) example. I know where I land in that spectrum.

It was terrific seeing some new faces and also terrific seeing familiar ones. Yes, even Bust's ugly-ass melon. But thanks to Barry and Sheila for once again opening up their house to us all.

Amazingly enough, my heated glove wiring job was actually successful and those heated gloves were VERY nice to have upon leaving Owosso, with temperatures in the 40's and the skies pissing rain. The skies kept pissing until sometime just north of Toledo. Eventually things warmed up and I was roasting by the time I got home.

Talks were had for the next Tech Day. It looks like Sooze and I will be hosting Tech Day XIII. That'll prolly happen October-ish. More to come later...

Oh, yeah - 40-ounce margarita, you say? Bring it, bitches.

I'll for sure at least swing up for the one in the fall. Maybe by then I'll have decided on an exhaust and can have them put on while there. or maybe a PC...or maybe something else fun....

A few more photos from Tech Day.

Joe stayed away from the moonshine this time and got some wiring done on Big Blue. Meanwhile Tim was doing some wiring on Crumpadump's bike....

DSC_0018-L.jpg

We had the Canadian flag waving on the flagpost beside the plastic Chevy Biscayne....

DSC_0020-L.jpg

Some more FJR's. Most people were inside helping themselves to the pulled pork. In case you were wondering the hole in the hedge is the Owosso - Mexico border crossing....

DSC_0021-L.jpg

Timmy is still working on NOT letting the smoke out on Crumpadump's wiring....

DSC_0019-L.jpg

Hey Ray, I don't see any pie on that plate. Meanwhile some jackass was trying to photobomb you...

DSC_0026-L.jpg

DSC_0028-L.jpg

The usual cat herding exercise....

Tech%20Day_rev1-L.jpg

As things were wrapping up we took a final break to celebrate another successful Owosso Tech day....

IMG_3172-L.jpg

The guy with the red nose in the foreground is me after numerous Seeman Honey Brown's....

IMG_3177-L.jpg

Someone else will have to come along and name all the other hooligans around the table. I'm old and forgetful.

I had the Burrito Texarono and a sensibly sized 24 oz margarita....

IMG_3181-L.jpg

Andy had the insensibly sized 40 oz magarita that was bigger than his head that has been swelled up by being slapped with a bookcase...

IMG_3180-L.jpg

After dinner we retired back to Bust's for Hockey Saturday Night in Owosso...

IMG_3183-L.jpg

We let Bust be the ref and he proceeded to give everybody a game misconduct. Good thing too because we still had a few small things to finish up on Timmy's bike.

Home last night after a 30 second border crossing and a 5 hour drive in a warm dry RAM. I think all those hooligans musta wore me out... well, it seems we did get a mountain of stuff done...... slept like a baby and got up late this morning. Thanks to all for helping out every which way you could and getting everything buttoned back up. Even with letting Andy help, I don't think we wrecked anything. I had a great time and hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did, meeting new folks and carousing with familiar faces. Watch out for those margueritas, they have lasting effects......... Thanks Sheila and Bust for the awesome job of hosting. Bring on the next one!

The travelling Antiques Road Show is planning to stop in VA next just to sample more of the local roads and beverages and to watch people break stuff. After that, the ARSes will be in WNY for a full-blown wreck session.

So apparently there was some discussion while I was on my parts run - centered around what vehicle I would return with - Car, DRZ, or FJR.

This, after my failed attempt to talk FJRFarrier into following and returning in the car.

Would I return on the DRZ (definity not an option), Would I return in the car (would have been the sensible thing to do), Would I return on the FJR...

One thing was certain, I was not about to give little miss FJRFarrier any chance to talk trash about how I wimped out and drove the car back...

You, sir, are most welcome!

FJR also stands for "Freakin' Jetski Rider"...

One thing was certain, I was not about to give little miss FJRFarrier any chance to talk trash about how I wimped out and drove the car back...
But gave the rest of a chance to talk about how dumb it was to come back on a bike.
fool.gif

Thank you Wayne.

So apparently there was some discussion while I was on my parts run - centered around what vehicle I would return with - Car, DRZ, or FJR.
This, after my failed attempt to talk FJRFarrier into following and returning in the car.

Would I return on the DRZ (definity not an option), Would I return in the car (would have been the sensible thing to do), Would I return on the FJR...

I was thinking you were going to bring the one back. At the same time I was hoping you would bring the other back. I won't tell you which is which. ;)

Met enough nice/fun people at this that I may now have to attend my first EOM. Been on a FJR since 2003 and have never been to one. Hopefully you all aren't just sucking me in with your one day of good behavior.....

Met enough nice/fun people at this that I may now have to attend my first EOM. Been on a FJR since 2003 and have never been to one. Hopefully you all aren't just sucking me in with your one day of good behavior.....
There is a ramble down in SE Ohio in (a little over) a week. Marietta. Ya know, if you can't wait until September to surround yourself with more awesome people. :)

I would have loved to do that. I just found that thread a couple of weeks ago and already have that weekend booked with something else. That is a perfect distance away for a ride.

I will definitely be more aware of these things in the future.