Tech Day?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add - if anyone is going to dive into the valves, you want the engine to be cold, so not to volunteer Ed or anything, but you'd want to get there Tuesday night and let the bike cool off. Plus, in case you need to swap shims and not be rushed, you'd want to give yourself as much time as possible, like all day. But that's just me - my bike needed 6 shims swapped out. Others have needed none.

If anyone is going to dive into this, I can either bring my shim kit with me or have it sent to Ed's.

Just say the word.

Wonder if Ed got scared off by the response to his offer? Seems that some folks are interested.

Anyway theres lots of time between now and then to solidify plans. If I don't manage to get it done before then, I would love to try to get a valve check done; even if its just a check without changing shims. (Check is well past due) Let me know if you think that this and CCT would be too ambitious. Not a problem if we try to confine the get together to minor mechanical stuff and drinking beer. Save opening up the engine for another time?

Ross

Everyone is still welcome to hang out here on Wednesday before NERDS for a Tech-Day (or Beer drinkin day, depending on your motivation).

I have the Steering head socket and the goofy-looking "hook" tool to tighten the steering head nut. I also have a torque wrench and a home-made TBS vacuum balancer that works pretty damn well I must say...

Anyone who wants to have tires shipped here for swappin' at NERDS is welcome. PM me and I'll give you the address.

Fred, I have a pickup we can use for haulin stuff so you don't have to drive your vehicle all the way up here just for that.

BTW, there's a gas station/convenience store right next to the hotel so we don't have to carry anything very far.

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll betcha if you bribed yamafitter, he would come by to coach you on the CCT, etc. I am planning to be there Wednesday too, but just don't know yet what time. With the Geek there, it would feel like half the Michigan Tech Day all over again.... is Dolly coming?

Ed, can you PM your addy so I can plug you into my GPS?

My thoughts are that a CCT replacement is not too invasive (if done right). We could definitely knock one (or more) of those out.

I would not want to take on a valve clearance check and adjust on the day before NERDS rides begin.

At least not on MY bike... ;) Personally I prefer to do that sort of thing at home, where I have all of my own tools, and can take my time.

Agree with Fred. You want an extra day just in case something goes wrong.... although, the full deal including shim changes will eat up about 6 hours, taking your time. Risk item is coolant leaks/o-rings. For safety, take the right side fairing and engine cover off so you know where you are at with timing marks, etc.

Point taken on the valve check. I'm pretty sure I could manage it on my own but there is a great deal of comfort doing it under the direction of someone who KNOWS what they are doing. Perhaps I could manage a CCT and a TBS.

For those interested, the NERDS "Tech-Day" is on for Wednesday, August 17th. I'll be hosting it at my house in Waterbury, VT starting around 10am. PM me for directions.

Come and fiddle with your bike while others sit around and tell you what you're doing wrong, or just hang out and watch (and learn) how to do some of the basic maintenance things that you've read about but were afraid to try on your own.

Some suggestions (so far) for Tech Day activities:

1. Tire change
  2. TBS
  3. CCT replacement
  4. Valve check
  5. Steering head check / re-torque
  6. Fork Seal replacement

Anything else people want to see/do?

Ed.

For those interested, the NERDS "Tech-Day" is on for Wednesday, August 17th. I'll be hosting it at my house in Waterbury, VT starting around 10am. PM me for directions.

Come and fiddle with your bike while others sit around and tell you what you're doing wrong, or just hang out and watch (and learn) how to do some of the basic maintenance things that you've read about but were afraid to try on your own.

Some suggestions (so far) for Tech Day activities:

1. Tire change
  2. TBS
  3. CCT replacement
  4. Valve check
  5. Steering head check / re-torque
  6. Fork Seal replacement

Anything else people want to see/do?

Ed.
I would be interested in 2, 3, and 4. Unfortunately, I don't know what time I could be there. Not early enough unless I come at least partway a day earlier - you are over 8 hours from where I live. Valves are way overdue for a check but might have to wait awhile longer.

Ross

Just to re-iterate, if anyone is going to check their valves, I'm offering up my shim kit. PM me so I can make sure I get it from that weirdo up in Michigan.

Latest posts