Tecno Globe ''Koso Appolo'' Heated Grips With Embedded Controller On The Left Grip!+(Photos)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this post since the beginning and was hooked immediately. The ordering is rather simple as I found several dealers carrying them nearby in Southern CA. Google search - Koso & Apollo & AM111030 or any mix of those. $110 for some to wait on shipping, $126 for pick-up locally.

- My main concern was handlebar diameter. Recently ordered a cheap pair of BMW grips and had two 1" grips - useless. After a few e-mails and research, the AM111030 are 7/8" left and 1" right. When searching online, some distributors have a picture of the product showing dimensions.

- I've had them on for a day, I'm not impressed with the supplied grip glue on the throttle tube. After day one the glue did not hold. So today I doubled up the glue and we shall see the outcome tomorrow. My first time using grip glue and I likely need a bettter product than the 'super glue' supplied. I probably need to look into softening the throttle tube 'pull' springs anyway.

- As for the length, they could be 5mm longer in order to match up with the stock handlebar end weights. The product does come with flat plastic caps that sit in the lip of the grip material at the end of the handlebar (not great, but covers for now). My thoughts, and about to start my research along with any suggestions - can the bar end weights be extended/adjusted on an FJR? Shouldn't I be able to loosen the bolt and wiggle the 'plug' or nut portion inside the handle bar to bring it closer to the end of the handlebar? It seems the stock end weights create a ~5mm gap between the handlebar end itself and the edge of the weight when tightened down.

Thats my experience so far. Should the glue hold,,,, I will be riding tomorrow and testing the heat output (subjectively). Really, its new grips and likely an improvement over 5 yr old stock grips.

I've been following this post since the beginning and was hooked immediately. The ordering is rather simple as I found several dealers carrying them nearby in Southern CA. Google search - Koso & Apollo & AM111030 or any mix of those. $110 for some to wait on shipping, $126 for pick-up locally. - My main concern was handlebar diameter. Recently ordered a cheap pair of BMW grips and had two 1" grips - useless. After a few e-mails and research, the AM111030 are 7/8" left and 1" right. When searching online, some distributors have a picture of the product showing dimensions. - I've had them on for a day, I'm not impressed with the supplied grip glue on the throttle tube. After day one the glue did not hold. So today I doubled up the glue and we shall see the outcome tomorrow. My first time using grip glue and I likely need a bettter product than the 'super glue' supplied. I probably need to look into softening the throttle tube 'pull' springs anyway. - As for the length, they could be 5mm longer in order to match up with the stock handlebar end weights. The product does come with flat plastic caps that sit in the lip of the grip material at the end of the handlebar (not great, but covers for now). My thoughts, and about to start my research along with any suggestions - can the bar end weights be extended/adjusted on an FJR? Shouldn't I be able to loosen the bolt and wiggle the 'plug' or nut portion inside the handle bar to bring it closer to the end of the handlebar? It seems the stock end weights create a ~5mm gap between the handlebar end itself and the edge of the weight when tightened down. Thats my experience so far. Should the glue hold,,,, I will be riding tomorrow and testing the heat output (subjectively). Really, its new grips and likely an improvement over 5 yr old stock grips.
Thanks for the details!

In my photos from the black fjr where i have posted,i see that the grips fit perfect with the end weights and no clearances there between the end weights and the switches,i can't see a problem there...This is a 2001-2002 European fjr/2003 US fjr.Perhaps they have changed something there on the newer models,i don't know..Anyway,

We waiting for your impressions and some photos if it is easy for you..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hot Grips" brand recommends 2 part epoxy for the install.JB Weld. Only problem I ever had was when I used a Canyon Dancer for a tie down point, glue "broke" free. Was able to scrape old epoxy out of the grip and re-do. Been holding 9 yrs now.

Ok, after a day of riding and trying different temperatures, I'm sold, they will be staying on. The heat output is great, no complaints. Turn it on, give it a couple minutes and if you have it on the hottest setting, it will be too hot.

The (super) glue appears to be holding. I still don't have faith in it and next chance I get I'll be buying some real grip glue to replace.

as for the end length I'm still confused and pondering possible options. Some pics -

Those are the end weights that came with the bike, unknown if stock or how previous owner came up with them. But that is them completely tightened with about 5mm of distance from handlebar end to back edge of end weight. I did some fiddling last night and couldn't seem to loosen the inner 'plug' and move the end weight nut inward. Any ideas on a fix? Anybody know if it's possible to move the internal mount or just buy a new set of flush weights??

That is the plastic cap included with the Koso Apollo grips. It fits. It's cheap. The lip of the grip material holds the plastic cap on.

These are the bar ends or end weights I got with the bike. Nothing special, they appear to be stock. Maybe time to purchase the HVMP brand unless I can find a way to move the inner mount/plug.

All in all, great grips with heat control being included in the grip itself. I would definately recommend!

as for the end length I'm still confused and pondering possible options. Some pics -
Just a thought but that looks like roughly the right amount of space needed for a V-strom hand guard. Might make those grips feel even warmer too.

Thanks for the report ''SMW2891'' !
smile.png

It is strange why has too much clearance between the grip and the bar weights.In the black fjr there isn't any clearance!But, i see that you have a Gen2 fjr as Ablumny has a Gen 2 and i see also in his fjr the same clearance like yours.I am pretty sure that there are some differences between the Gen1 and Gen2 on the handlebar and for this reason there is the clearance.So not so strange..Yes,the bar weights where i see in the photo these are the OEM.You could install foam or neoprene washers between the grips and the bar weights in the clearance for a better look.

As the first year with these grips on the ride comes to an end, I thought I'd share some thoughts for anyone considering adding them this winter.
Pros:

• VERY effective - although I cannot compare it to other offerings. I rarely used the lowest setting (maybe with thinner gloves?) 40% helps with light chill, 60%is enough for cold without rain or excess wind, 80% works great for cold and damp, 100% feels so good in cold rain (like the overnight stretch of the Void rally in October.
  • Good value - very happy spending $129 (+15 s&h) on a nicely integrated system. Simple installation with minimal space requirements for the inline controller.
  • Works with Throttlemeister throttle-lock bar ends (with only a slight adjustment, not much more than the normal routine tightening due to O-ring slippage.)
Cons:

• The connector between the the two grips is made with very brittle plastic, the lock tab snapped off the very first time I disconnected it. Wound up using small zip ties to keep them together.
  • The grip itself is firm with barely any cushioning. I'll be adding Grip Buddies (not puppies - which tear and absorb water) in a few weeks.
  • The button seems to require VERY deliberate presses - seemingly more so over the past year - with no tactile feedback (like a detent or click). While this may be to avoid accidental presses, it's an unneeded distraction, especially in cold, dark, rainy conditions.
Also, it may be of interest that:

• I mounted the left (control) side rotated slightly down to avoid accidental pressing across the horn or high beam switches, while still leaving the indicator visible.
  • I'll be adding Suzuki guards (a la Dale's guide: https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=30) this winter. I'll bo my best to report on issues or workarounds with that project.