Texas Big Bend October 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to the group and my FJR. Not new to riding. Wanted to throw this out there to see if it sparks any interest. Have ridden the area 3 times in the past. I hear October is the best month. The dates I suggest are arrive Wednesday October 11th. Rice the area 3 days and head home Sunday the 15th. Each time I have been there we stayed in Alpine. Has some decent places to stay and eat.

I might have some interest in this. I will be riding mine down to Houston, by way of NW Arkansas the end of September.

And leaving it down in Houston for some riding in January 2018.....
punk.gif

I did a ride through last October, pretty nice weather then, a little warm. Hung with some locals out in front of the Bar in Terlingua. I'll keep watching this post and may join you. Get a National Park Pass, it was $20 bucks a day for scooters through the park. Lots and lots of Border Patrol down there, and be sure to have a full tank when you head into the park, one gas station and they take advantage of that fact! Frickin robbers!

Hi, I have been to the park many times and love the peace and quite there. Here are some tips for newbys. If you are 65 or older you will get a lifetime pass when you pay the initial park fee. There are 2 fuel stations at panther junction and rio grand village. Very nice lodge and restraunt in the basin also this is the coolest place to camp in the park. The best ride is to castalon canyon with many stops to take pictures. Lots of hiking if that your thing.

Monte

On August 28, 2017, the price of the Senior Pass increased for the first time since 1994.

"When was the last time the price increased for the Senior Pass?

The Senior Pass has been $10 since 1994.

How much did it increase?
The lifetime Senior Pass increased from $10 to $80."

So now over age 62 you have to pay $80 instead of $10, but it's still a lifetime pass, unless you lose it.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested October 2018. I have always wanted to ride there but I know it is a pretty big park so I would prefer to ride with someone who has been there and knows the best sections to ride and take photos plus the lodging.