Texas Registration of a D & H - bought FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
Next week (!!!) I will be flying to Cullman to meet Jerold and Renaa and all the folks at D&H Cycle. And pick up a 2016 FJR1300ES.

With that statement out of the way, what I am asking for is anyone who lives in Texas, and has bought their FJR from D&H in Alabama.

What did you do with all the required paperwork, specifically with the Texas DMV?

D&H is sending me a bill of sale, a certificate of origin, a title. I spoke with the DMV and the very nice lady really did not answer all my questions. She says that I need to have the bike physically in Texas and have the VIN inspected to get the metal license plates.

Problem with that is, I'm not going to Alabama and riding it back to Texas - at least not for a while. I'm taking it to Key West. Then to Caribou, Maine. Then back through as many states as I can touch. I won't be back in Texas until...well, at least 4 weeks.

Can someone give me specific step-by-step instructions on exactly what needs to be done to be legal? I will be skirting into Canada during the trip. Not sure how much the border patrol will like paper plates...

Why did you choose to got out of state to buy? The dealer I bought mine from cut me a similar deal to the ones listed on CycleTrader.

I got the Statement of Origin from D&H along with the bill of sale and title.

When I got home I had 30 days to register it with the state. When doing so I brought my SoO, BoS, insurance confirmation, vehicle inspection paperwork, and photo ID to the County Substation near me (DPS place that issues DLs will work too). Ride the bike there and they will crawl around to confirm the vin plate. (Be nice when you show them that's it's easily seen up near the left side of the triple clamp. The engine markings are harder to see on the back of the engine facing the rear tire.)

You will then pay registration fees and sales tax based on purchase price (TX taxes are paid, not AL).

https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/car-registration.php (Registering a vehicle in TX)

If you don't want to pay a delinquency fine, then plan to be back before the 30 day window ends. In the interim be sure to keep a copy of the proof of insurance, BoS, SoO, and title (copy only) with you all the time. Expect to be pulled over all the time for failure to display tags and anticipate being turned back at the Canadian border for the same reason. It may never happen but if you expect it, you won't be angry or defensive. If it does happen, take your lumps, accept any citations with the expectation of mailing (certified mail, return receipt) your compliance documents (title, inspection, registration (copies)) to every court where you are ordered to appear.

Why did you choose to got out of state to buy? The dealer I bought mine from cut me a similar deal to the ones listed on CycleTrader.

D&H has been nationally recognized as the leader in pricing of both bikes and YES contracts since the FJR came out in pre-order only (Priority Delivery Program) back in 2002. Matching Cycle Trader is nothing compared to trying to match D&H.

Here's one thread started back in 2006 and still going.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/7282-cullman-al-dh-cycle/

Here's a google search of this forum for D&H

https://www.google.com/search?q=d%26h+site%3Afjrforum.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

And here's how to do your own custom Google searches of this forum

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/15908-seaching-the-forum-using-google/

[FJR-Forum Admins: Teaching people to fish since dirt was invented.]

Last edited by a moderator:
The temporary plate should be OK for the period that it is valid, although I'm not sure how this will fly at the border.

Usually it's pretty straightforward for 49 states. Texas included.

Bill of sale. Certificate of Origin. Evidence of sales tax paid. Bike's VIN. Mileage. It's not that complicated.

if you're worried about it, take a day or two and make your look clockwise instead of counter clockwise. Go home first and then start your adventure.

NTXFJR: I went to my local dealer and he told me that the new 2016 FJR is going to be a 'very popular bike', and that they may sell them for 'just a bit more' than the list price. I'm saving at least $1500, even after the air fare...

I've experienced buying a new motorcycle out of state and not getting it into Colorado and registered before the temporary tags expired--I didn't know the problems I'd have until it was expired. It was a very difficult process to resolve, and there was a definite potential for the bike to be permanently illegal (unregistered) if it weren't for a specific DMV clerk's efforts.

I'd strongly suggest that you amend your travel plans to ensure the bike gets back to TX and registered/plated before the tags expire.

I bought my '15 out of state. No one looked at the vin. They were happy to take my taxes and fees and issue me a plate, registration and title. All I needed was the BoS and the application for registration and title.

... I spoke with the DMV and the very nice lady really did not answer all my questions. She says that I need to have the bike physically in Texas and have the VIN inspected to get the metal license plates...
Call and try again, odds are good you won't get the same person. Explain to them exactly what you intend to do. If you still don't understand everything or feel questions remain unanswered, thank the person you are talking to and ask them to transfer you to someone higher up. Someone there knows all the answers. You may not like the answers but at least you know.

You should have little trouble leaving the US at the Canadian border but you may have one really bad experience trying to get back INTO the US.

Thank your lucky stars you don't live in the commiewealth of Massachusetts. You will need to notify your insurance company that you plan on going into Kanukistan. I believe you will also need a proof of statement to carry with you for insurance while in Canaduh, Eh. I bought my bike at D&H also and drove it home from Alabama.

I believe I had to do it illegally and take my chances since there was no other way possible. I was insured for the bike but there was no way I was able to get a plate or transfer to the new bike. So I just slapped the plate on anyway and hoped for the best. Yes I also saved a ton of money compared to pricing in the northeast.

Dave

Has anyone tried to slip a 49 state FJR past the CA MVD? Where in the VIN or labeling is a CA bike listed as a CA bike? I wonder of anyone there would even know there is a difference, and if it's even an issue.

It doesn't look good for the hometown team!

After I leave D&H with the bike, I'm going to the Florida Keys for a 6-day class. Scheduled and set in stone.

From there, it makes little logistical sense to go all the way back to Texas and then try the trip to Maine. And, I really have my heart set on that.

I will be getting the VIN, bill of sale, cert. of origin and title in the mail tomorrow (I hope). I'll take what I have and go see a state official and hope for the best.

If anyone else that is from Texas and has dealt specifically with the Texas DMV has any other input or ideas to help, I really would love to hear them.

To tell you the truth there aint a whole lot up in Maine except for the coastline. Your better off in eastern TN, NC or WV.

Good luck with the trip, If you need an oil change on the way through PM me.

Dave

Has anyone tried to slip a 49 state FJR past the CA MVD? Where in the VIN or labeling is a CA bike listed as a CA bike? I wonder of anyone there would even know there is a difference, and if it's even an issue.
**HIJACK** Won't work HRZ, Cal DMV is a ruthless bureaucracy and WILL check paperwork and emissions certification. If When you're caught, the VIN will be blacklisted and vehicle never be able to be registered in Cali.

--G

Edit..Dash got me thinking. HRZ you referring to California or our friends to the north?

The VINs are recorded only in the country where the bike was imported. Some manufacturers ship European spec bikes to Canada with kilometre speedos and other minor adjustments, such as, no BBQ Canister, location of signal lights and reflectors. Canadian VINs do not show up in the USA computer systems unless it is imported and officially added to the system. Usually, the warranty does to cross the border. Same situation importing a bike from the USA to Canada.

So, California is a different country, isn't it? JSNS!

Dash

Ok...On topic:

OP, stop worrying about your plate. Every drive-off temporary tag I have ever seen is a 30 day tag. It takes that long just for a state's MVD to get off their ass and get stuff sent out. Unless you're gonna be gone more than 30 days from the date of purchase, you should be fine.

Now...Off topic, sort of:

I was talking about taking a 49 state bike with say, 100 miles from say, New Mexico to California and registering the dammed thing. I was NOT talking about moving between countries. I'm wondering what specifically about a CA model the MVD people in CA look for. Do they know there is a carbon canister under the fairing? Is there a certain code they look for? I'm almost betting not, especially with a MC. Hell, I can buy a car anywhere in the country and register it in CA, right? I wonder if CA doesn't just have everyone paranoid about stuff they can't really verify, and that doesn't really matter. Just thinking out loud, sort of...I have no idea what the real answer is.

Ok, so the problem is twofold for him.

1. In Texas, they stopped issuing inspection stickers and started using computers. You can't register your bike unless there's a current inspection in the computer database. Used to be you could do them separate but not anymore.

2. Also, you can't just register anywhere, it has to be in the county you live in. Otherwise I'd recommend to pop across the border, get inspection and registration done and haul butt back.

That said, I have been able to get a 30 day temp tag pretty easily from Texas in the past. I bought a used bike that had been registered last out of state. That required a new inspection at the time including the sheet the inspector gives you to give to the state. I asked the folks at the license office how I could legally ride it to an inspection location and they told me to buy a 30 day temp tag. I did and all was good.

I say, get your paperwork, then go down and talk to them but don't get the temp tag until right before you leave for the trip if there's some delay. Postpone Canada for another trip and have fun.

I bought my '15 out of state. No one looked at the vin. They were happy to take my taxes and fees and issue me a plate, registration and title. All I needed was the BoS and the application for registration and title.
Yeah. That ain't happening in TX though.

Good luck if you're inflexible on your travel plans. Charging ahead in spite of other's specific, in-state experience should include girding your loins for hassles once you get around to doing it.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I didn't get a temp tag from D&H which was the reason I had to carry copies of the paperwork with me all the time until I got a TX tag.

The computerized inspection issue is a very new issue (only months old) and it is required prior to getting a tag.

<snip> Now...Off topic, sort of:
I was talking about taking a 49 state bike with say, 100 miles from say, New Mexico to California and registering the dammed thing. I was NOT talking about moving between countries. I'm wondering what specifically about a CA model the MVD people in CA look for. Do they know there is a carbon canister under the fairing? Is there a certain code they look for? I'm almost betting not, especially with a MC. Hell, I can buy a car anywhere in the country and register it in CA, right? I wonder if CA doesn't just have everyone paranoid about stuff they can't really verify, and that doesn't really matter. Just thinking out loud, sort of...I have no idea what the real answer is.
LINK to CA DMV answering your questions. Like it or not...bottom line is if you're a Cali resident you're in a captive market unless the vehicle has CA emissions.

--G