Texas vacation ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1catquak

Reaction score
I'm planning a ride for the last week of April and the first week of May and was wondering about weather. My plan is to start in Wisconsin and go South, maybe thru Texas hill country and then continue over to the Grand Canyon, four corners area.

What should I expect for weather in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona?

When are flowers in bloom around the Texas hill country?

Thanks in advance.

No one can tell you what the weather will be like that far in advance. Watch all the weather sources (not just the predictions, but the radar and other raw data) and watch it for weeks prior to your departure. This will give you a reasonable feel of current trends as the date approaches.

The bluebonnets tend to bloom around March or April but we've been in a 6 month drought around here. On top of this, we've already had 80 degree days and much of the flora has been given a false start followed by cold snaps that hit them hard. This year's bloom probably won't be very vivid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly what you were asking, but a couple friends and I were in the Taos area last year, the second week of April. We ran into a little bit of cold and windy weather, but had some good weather as well. The roads were clear and dry but often had snow on the shoulders. The Denver area had just got around two feet of snow and a 200 mile stretch of I-25 was closed, but one of the guys, from up that way, made it down a couple days later. Still, the trip was great, as was the area. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Rode the FJR from North Central Texas to Arizona and Utah last Spring, later part of April. Ran into everything including sleet, snow and hail. Had a wonderful time!

Full story and pics Here.

don't let these guys scare you. In central Texas we have some of the best year round riding conditions. April and May should be better than average. It can ran for several days in a row, but that's pretty uncommon down here. Come on down, I think you'll find it a bit warm coming from Wisconsin :)

In NM and AZ altitude is important -- it varies alot in both states. You'll be safe in April and May at low altitudes but can be possible to find cold snowy roads on high mountain passes (more possible, earlier). Most areas haven't had much precip this winter, tho.

Thanks for the replys.

I picked this time of the year so that I could avoid the crowds on family vacation and the extreme heat.

Any advice for Texas hill country roads?

All good advice,,,but not quite what I was looking for.

How about naming some of the good roads. I'm looking for good scenery, few cars and some twists.

I'm planning on making my first trip down there in March. When I get back I'll share any info that might be useful. I know I've met a couple of the guys here that have spent some time down there and probably have lots of great suggestions. Here are a couple of maps of the area and the routes I'm currently looking into.

overview:

hill_country_overview.gif

and what may be part of day 1:

hill_country_day1.gif

The route above by TexasFJR is right on the money. There is even a hotel in Leakey that only allows motorcyclists and bicyclists (The D'Rose Inn).

Don't forget to try Ranch Road 170 between Terlingua and Presidio. Possibly the best road in Tx for motorcycling. Lots of twists, elevation changes, and Mexico a stone's throw away.

DEFINITELY do not over-ride your site line or it WILL bite you. There are some places where there's are serious turns right after cresting a hill. It's easy to be in negative G's right when you need major traction.

While in Lajitas, be sure to stop and buy the Mayor a beer. He loves 'em and will let you take a picture with him and the beer you bought him.

Be careful near Marfa. The Marfa Lights are cool, but the area is highly patrolled and strictly enforced.

Hwy 16 is good and others such as 337 from Medina to Vanderpool. Then 377 from Vanderpool to Leakey has some great curves and views. Careful of the blind curves though. Just west of there is FM 335, FM336, and FM337. These are basically paved ranch roads and are a little more narrow, so take care. They are fun and scenic roads. Sometimes there is construction on them in spots, but they are all worth riding. Also of note 39, 470, and 1050.

GP