Thank you, DesignFlaw06!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
Some of you may know that my topbox has an “organizer” in it. I've enclosed the term in quotation marks because it’s a really homemade thing, created out of cut-up SlimJim boxes and duct tape. It holds wallet, house keys, pens, aspirin and ibuprofen, miniature LED flashlight, air pressure gauge, a spare FJR key, a case with balaclava, blah, blah, blah, and other stuff that should be kept handy.

46620643465_68b51478ef_z.jpg

47483459292_e42ae4567f_c.jpg

Note duct tape binding SlimJim boxes together and holding the entire contraption to the topbox wall. The duct taped boxes worked well for a couple of years, then the cardboard began falling apart. So, I made a new one, with a sturdier box for wallet and keys. The 'improved' one is pictured. As you can see, it's still in pretty good shape, but I realized it probably wouldn't last through the summer.

... and then I got an idea! DesignFlaw06 has a 3-D printer. Could he make one for me? Of course he could!

After a few email exchanges, we got our concept ironed out and my questions answered. The material is the same as used in FJRiders license plate frames: sturdy, durable, and resistant to most anything your motorbike will experience.

DesignFlaw06 offered a few suggestions for an improved version. They were all great, so he began spinning his tiny plastic filaments like Spiderman building a shield.

Here’s the final product. It has several slots that make it possible to adjust the size of each compartment. I’ve gotten it settled in now, and experimented with how the stuff will fit into each compartment.

46620639665_71070b22fc_c.jpg

46812476144_127152d5ba_c.jpg

46812475974_0c55d9166d_c.jpg

The green stuff has been there since I got the box from Petey. It's contoured padding cut carefully and glued to the topbox bottom, because I CANNOT STAND RATTLES.

And last, here’s what everything looks like as I arrive at work each morning:

46620639215_c3aaa13569_c.jpg

I’m VERY satisfied with the product, and with the suggestions Tim offered.

If you have something you’ve been thinking about doing to your bike, drop him a PM and see what he can do for you. It helps that he’s a motorbike rider and understands how the product will be used. It also helps that he knows how to work his special magic with plastics.

Thank you again, DesignFlaw06!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I do like an attractive cardboard/duct tape kluge like your original carrier, the new version is clearly superior. It's always best to start with something free and disposable to determine whether or not you want to even make a finished product. The beauty is that you already knew the finished final product would fulfill your needs.

Nice job and all well and good except, where's your theme?
smile.png
Mine is Star Wars, courtesy of the local Dollar Store.

Bags are velcroed to the sides of the topcase. Started off a couple years ago as a trial to see what worked, ended up being good-enough.

d3d535335d7239ec1d26f48f9821c2ee-full.jpg

Creative storage is always interesting. A few bikes back, I did this with my 84 GL1200's trunk.
Wing-O-Dor
Wow. That made me consider how little thought I've given to maintaining proper humidity in my topcase for some of the delicate things I keep in there. What IS the correct humidity for fig bars and wagon wheels anyway?

Bounce posted: Creative storage is always interesting. A few bikes back, I did this with my 84 GL1200's trunk.
Wing-O-Dor
Damn! That thing should also keep your bubble gum cigars from getting brittle!
coolsmiley02.gif

<seriously> Great job!

Last edited by a moderator: