The best farkle you ever had?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are heading into the weeds here, but briefly ... Honda ST1100 and 1300, Most of the BMWs, especially the K-Series.
One thing that makes the FJR a great touring bike is simply how easy it is to ride. Easy simply means less stress, more miles.
And it's bulletproof!

Disclaimer, it may not actually stop a bullet, but most FJR owners I know would dive in front of the bike to take the bullet themselves!

Phil,its not that I don't accept anything. I accept anything anyone does or thinks as long as its does harm others. I am just conversing about what exactly do we mean by "sports" riding. If you think sports riding is moderately riding above the speed limit in a reasonable way for your parameter of skills, then ok.

Dudes i know around here, sports riding is speeding through public byways with curves. I am suggesting, perhaps challenging myself and other to be clear of what they mean by sport-riding. Cause I thought the only sport practiced on a motorcycle was racing--in the track (now you watch someone post people playing soccer on a motorcycle)

I guess if I don't accept something is motorcycle made so that they don't commit in design to fit the touring style. God knows there are plenty of 'sports' models around.

I accept your point of view...honest
I guess I just don't understand what you're getting at here. Do you honestly expect to have a manufacturer to produce a bike that is track oriented and touring comfortable? These are two completely different missions with characteristics very different from each other. The fact that you try to join them into one bike demands that compromises must be made. You can have an ST bike more oriented toward one side or the other, but you really can't have both...not in a pure sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
What we got here is failia' to communicate...

I am not expecting manufacturers to do anything. I suspect they do market whatever is profitable.

My point is, if there is any point, is simply noting that sports-touring bike are a compromise and thus, neither fully sports, not fully touring. It would be nice if there was a full touring bike for those of us who donot practice the 'sports' mode. Rather than buy a bike like an FJR and pour 2500 worth of farkle in order to make it commuter friendly. My ideal would be more like a Goldwing ergonomics and FJR torque, a good fairing, a well thought out set up to travel: higway pegs, GPS, big shield, comfy seat, great luggage space, lights, rack, a superhorn etc.

While in the conversation, I also noted that I am not sure what people mean when they say 'sport' riding, cause my reference of that means 'on the track' and with a sports bike, not a bucket on two wheels like sports touring models. You might get offended that the FJR is not a bucket on two wheels, but it is if you would pit it against sports bike of the sort it would be a bucket on the track. I don't believe the C14, the ST, the FJR, the TT, nor the GL are good bikes to improve your time on a track. But what I do see and experience is that all the people around me who own sport-touring bike that claim they are going 'sports' riding, are basically driving fast around curves on public byways. Is that what is meant by sports riding?

And I 'll also point out that riding at much higher speed than the posted limit--as most of us do on these bikes on 'twisties--is a dangerous thing. One never knows if there 'll be a stalled car, a oil puddle, a rock, or some unexpected pedestrian, jogger, dog, etc when riding on public byways like a racer wannabe. Of course, riding skills vary.

No one has to agree with me. Just my thoughts for the sake of conversation.

Everyone can improve their time on a track, regardless of what they are riding. You would no more compare the lap times of an Indycar to an F1 car, than you would compare an R1 to an FJR. What would be the point?

You appear to be getting hung-up on terminology. "Sports" or "Tourer" simply mean what we expect them to mean, rather than fit a fixed definition you want to put them into. When a bike is described as "leaning sports", that conjures an image that allows us to relate to the bike, not wonder how fast (or slow) it might be on the track.

You might be over-thinking it.

Performance of a sport bike, mixed with comfort of a touring bike..... obviously there will be some compromises with anything that will mix the two.

It's not a transformer..... giving you one or the other at the push of a button....

Old people like us - or at least me, can't ride a R1 anymore, (wrists / back say Nay Nay) but I love the power, just in a more comfortable riding position.

The FJR or many of the ST bikes will always be a compromise, leaning one way or the other - nothing stops you from buying more then one bike, this is 'Murica lest we forget !!!

Didn't take long for this thread to go to crap!!!!
fool.gif

What we got here is failia' to communicate...
I am not expecting manufacturers to do anything. I suspect they do market whatever is profitable.

My point is, if there is any point, is simply noting that sports-touring bike are a compromise and thus, neither fully sports, not fully touring. It would be nice if there was a full touring bike for those of us who donot practice the 'sports' mode. Rather than buy a bike like an FJR and pour 2500 worth of farkle in order to make it commuter friendly. My ideal would be more like a Goldwing ergonomics and FJR torque, a good fairing, a well thought out set up to travel: higway pegs, GPS, big shield, comfy seat, great luggage space, lights, rack, a superhorn etc.
If a GoldWing isn't 'touring' enough for you then I don't think anything on two wheels will do it. Your point about even the Wing not being perfect for your desires is really what the rest of us have been saying. No matter what you buy you will have to modify it to make it perfect for you.

The only example I can think of that was actually perfect for me when I bought it is my Miata. In 2013 Mazda came out with a version called the Club, and it had exactly the options on it that I wanted and none that I didn't want. It was the car I had been thinking about buying for years, and when it came out I bought one. Still, I changed the shift knob and E-brake handle from leather to wood ones just to give it a little bit of personalization, so it too has farkles.
unknw.gif

Didn't take long for this thread to go to crap!!!!
fool.gif
That's what we do. It's much easier to tear down than to build ;) Actually, I thought this thread was doing rather well considering how open the topic is. We haven't even opened the zoo of animals or delved into deviant sex yet.....

well, its a fun conversation which will probably amount to the saliva we spend on it; cause the likelyhood is we all gonna be riding an electric bikes pretty soon, with one of those gyro gadgets that keeps the cycle upright...maybe with a little sun-roof to boots...maybe even a no-hands: you punch in the address and just sit back and enjoy the view. The bike 'll get you there.

By then we be wearing google glasses that allow you to see into the future, well, so you can reprogram the self-driving GPS if you see a traffic jam in the future of your current path...

That 'll be the touring version, of course

For the sake of conversation, I suggest 'sports' riding is done on a track. I gather from riding with friends into 'sports' riding, that what they mean by that is riding way over the speed limit on public byways with curves. An endeavor that has prompted many loss of young lives in the area where I live--and I presume elsewhere.

Dudes i know around here, sports riding is speeding through public byways with curves. . . . Cause I thought the only sport practiced on a motorcycle was racing--in the track . . . .

But what I do see and experience is that all the people around me who own sport-touring bike that claim they are going 'sports' riding, are basically driving fast around curves on public byways. Is that what is meant by sports riding?
Just out of curiosity, where on Earth is "around here" for you?

Threadjacking alert!!!

One whole page without a hint of the OP's topic.

I forgot to mention:

10. Stebel Nautilus