The best farkle you ever had?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if many people would call it a farkle, as the bike needs something there, but the thing was nearly unrideable when I bought it new back in late '06 with it's stock windshield. The first time I turned it into a headwind, nothing I could do to that stock windshield made any difference. I nearly took the bike back to the dealer.
That weekend I rode to Sacramento to get a CalSci extra tall windshield. Once changed out, I haven't looked back since.

I've put a lot of things on my 2 FJRs through the years, but this essential item kept me on the platform.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif
Brodie, what you didn't mention, and is a VERY salient point, is that you're like 9'6" or so, hence your dissatisfaction with the stock barn door. Gotta keep things in the correct context for the n00bs, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing to mention is that you never find a RDL seat for sale...that tells you something.
I tried a long time ago a RDL low (a model that apparently they do not make anymore) and it was hard as a board so I returned it. My guess is that they did not do well with the 'low' and consequently do not make it anymore. I ask for one for the FJR and they do not have it.

The problem with the Russell seat is that you are then, sitting about three floors above your normal sitting position. Their seat is pretty high. If that does not bother you, they are the best seat in the house...they have some kind of spring around the edge. And by the way, these springs wear down with time and you have to have them refurbished if you do a lot of travelling (iron butt sitting)...that is, according to my friend who does a LOT of travelling on his Russell. I never had a Russell, do this is a hearsay...
Interesting… I bought my RDL USED about 5 years ago and have put close to 180k on the seat. I have no idea how many miles the seat had on it at the time of purchase, but I only condition the leather

and the seat is just now showing minor sag on the "Wings". RDL is 2nd to none and the seat was not even made for me. I wonder how nice a RDL custom for me would feel (?)

I am noting the amount of stuff that people have to install on these cycles in order to make them touring-worthy.
It seems to me that between the FJR, the C14, the ST owners alone there is a market for a straightup touring model...I wonder why there are many dedicated touring cycles on the market. Well, maybe I am overestimating the demand.

But I have spent a lot of money trying to take the 'sport' out of my sport-touring bikes
Oh... you are wrong. Oh so wrong. Very few, if any, of these favorite farkles take the sport out of these ST bikes. They just improve the comfort somewhat. When you twist the thing on the right the sport reveals itself to you right away.

You couldn't make a bike that has all the farkles already because no two riders want or need the same ones. Farkles are customizations that make the bike work for that particular rider, and no two riders are quite the same.

There are true touring models available. Most here would want little to do with them as they are relatively boring in comparison to the Fun Joy Ride's we all have.
^ Again! I gotta agree with Mr. Fred. While some farkles are common to most of us, most owners always have that one or two farkles that make it 'their ride'. The only one farkle that I have heard that (somewhat) takes away any sport in the bike has been the RDL seat with the wing. Looks wise and ride wise as it does alter both. But the comfort gained by the RDL is worth the trade-off (to some again).

Customize to your liking.

I am noting the amount of stuff that people have to install on these cycles in order to make them touring-worthy.
It seems to me that between the FJR, the C14, the ST owners alone there is a market for a straightup touring model...I wonder why there are many dedicated touring cycles on the market. Well, maybe I am overestimating the demand.

But I have spent a lot of money trying to take the 'sport' out of my sport-touring bikes
The FJR does what it is supposed to do as it comes from the factory. The farkles we add satisfy our individual needs and wants. My perfect ST bike is not your perfect ST bike, so no factory could mass produce one.

The same is true for any vehicle. Didn't you add a small farkle or two to your bicycles when you were young? I did.
%24T2eC16FHJHgE9n0yDjO9BQl0LlY7kw~~60_1.JPG

FWIW, I believe that only the "heavy weight" Russells have springs in the wings.

Yes, the wings do tend to flatten down some over time, but the seat still works as intended for Day Long comfort.

I don't know if many people would call it a farkle, as the bike needs something there, but the thing was nearly unrideable when I bought it new back in late '06 with it's stock windshield. The first time I turned it into a headwind, nothing I could do to that stock windshield made any difference. I nearly took the bike back to the dealer.
That weekend I rode to Sacramento to get a CalSci extra tall windshield. Once changed out, I haven't looked back since.

I've put a lot of things on my 2 FJRs through the years, but this essential item kept me on the platform.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif
Brodie, what you didn't mention, and is a VERY salient point, is that you're like 9'6" or so, hence your dissatisfaction with the stock barn door. Gotta keep things in the correct context for the n00bs, right?
I'm 5'11" 32 inch inseam and the stock windshield instilled some turbulence and LOTS of windnoise, and like Brodie, I'd argue it's nearly unrideable. Adding the spacers helped a bunch.

FWIW, I believe that only the "heavy weight" Russells have springs in the wings.
Yes, the wings do tend to flatten down some over time, but the seat still works as intended for Day Long comfort.
They all have a flat metal spring running across the seat, between the wings.

The heavy duty seats have a stiffer spring.

One thing is true ... If you buy a bike with a Russell already fitted, don't expect it to be a low-mileage example.

Did some digging and I guess you are right about the springs. I'm surprised that I could not dig up a picture of one anywhere.
"When I married my "Mrs Right", I didn't realize her first name was "Always""

Oh... you are wrong. Oh so wrong. Very few, if any, of these favorite farkles take the sport out of these ST bikes. They just improve the comfort somewhat. When you twist the thing on the right the sport reveals itself to you right away.

You couldn't make a bike that has all the farkles already because no two riders want or need the same ones. Farkles are customizations that make the bike work for that particular rider, and no two riders are quite the same.

There are true touring models available. Most here would want little to do with them as they are relatively boring in comparison to the Fun Joy Ride's we all have.

I suppose so! ...you are right in that it is a matter of perspective. I tend to look at these ST cycles from the touring point of view. In that sense, the FJR has been one of my least favorites ergonomics, while at the same time, its the best machine I owned.

You are right, in that there are a lot of folks attracted to the FJR precisely for its "sports" riding traits...though I do, and have taken issue with that connotation in the word 'sport' the way its used around here.

For the sake of conversation, I suggest 'sports' riding is done on a track. I gather from riding with friends into 'sports' riding, that what they mean by that is riding way over the speed limit on public byways with curves. An endeavor that has prompted many loss of young lives in the area where I live--and I presume elsewhere.

I am curious by which models you think are full-dedicated-touring bikes...and I hope you don't steer me toward the HD electra line...and no naked presumptive touring models either...a touring bike must have a fairing

The Wing is about the only one I can think of, and yet, people hot-rod these things around Deals like if it was a sports bike. The rest of ST models seem to posses the compromise: not fully touring, not fully sports.

My speculation is that, against my point of view, these mixture sport-tour bikes do have a market providing people with a way to sort of speed around the country side while carrying an overload, or just simply speed around without the bags.

Last time I posted on this issue, a guy wrote about his experience with the FJR on the track. Of course, he is a dedicate sport-riding fan with full gear and the works. In my view, he was doing what I consider to be 'sport' riding with an FJR in the track.

At the same time, the FJR is not a good bike to maximize one's lap-time on a track. Everyone talks about the nimbleness of the FJR in transitions, but the FJR would be too heavy of a steering motorcycle for the track, the Concour is even worse.

...hey, I sure hope I don't have to reach for the flame suit...I am just conversing here. I am always willing to learn and change my views.

And don't get me wrong...hey, I owned an FJR and have put a lot of money in it already. But I am just not emotionally attached to any motorcycles.

After all, every cycle has its con n pros.

We are heading into the weeds here, but briefly ... Honda ST1100 and 1300, Most of the BMWs, especially the K-Series.

One thing that makes the FJR a great touring bike is simply how easy it is to ride. Easy simply means less stress, more miles.

It seems to me that between the FJR, the C14, the ST owners alone there is a market for a straight up touring model...I wonder why there are many dedicated touring cycles on the market. Well, maybe I am overestimating the demand.

First, it sounds like your mixing "touring" and "long distance" riding, which, IMHO, are two different things: touring is more hop on & ride off, where long-distance is more see, log, find, route, avoid, plan, overnight, have everything at your fingertips riding.

That said, the FJR's stock seat and foot pegs were (obvious) compromises toward the sport side, but the power that's arguably "more than necessary" for solo riding makes 2-up riding for larger riders and pillions, or completely loaded up a breeze.

The other thing to mention is that you never find a RDL seat for sale...that tells you something.
I actually bought a Russell posted here last month. I bought it as a trial before proceeding with a new custom seat (which I will now be getting!)
If we take "saddle" out of one's farkle list, that leaves everything else that makes the experience easier, safer, more fun, more navigable, more endurable, more comfortable or just give the rider peace of mind.

All that being said, so far my list would be:

1. Helibar Risers (saves my back every minute I ride)
  2. Justin's LED aux lights - LR4 & LR64 ("see & be seen")
    Runners up:
  3. PDM60 & DEUTSCH DT modular connectors
  4. HID Headlight kit
  5. RAM mounts
  6. Garauld's Hiway pegs
  7. Datek-like mirror mounted voltmeter
  8. Power access (SAE, Cig & USB)
    Coming soon
  9. Android tablet (NAV, weather & entertainment)

My best "farkle" was a pristine, low mileage '03 motor I put in my '04 back in '09. 47,000 trouble-free, tbs-free and valve-adjust-free miles later. Whatta peach!

I suppose so! ...you are right in that it is a matter of perspective. I tend to look at these ST cycles from the touring point of view. In that sense, the FJR has been one of my least favorites ergonomics, while at the same time, its the best machine I owned.

You are right, in that there are a lot of folks attracted to the FJR precisely for its "sports" riding traits...though I do, and have taken issue with that connotation in the word 'sport' the way its used around here.

For the sake of conversation, I suggest 'sports' riding is done on a track. I gather from riding with friends into 'sports' riding, that what they mean by that is riding way over the speed limit on public byways with curves. An endeavor that has prompted many loss of young lives in the area where I live--and I presume elsewhere.

I am curious by which models you think are full-dedicated-touring bikes...and I hope you don't steer me toward the HD electra line...and no naked presumptive touring models either...a touring bike must have a fairing

The Wing is about the only one I can think of, and yet, people hot-rod these things around Deals like if it was a sports bike. The rest of ST models seem to posses the compromise: not fully touring, not fully sports.

My speculation is that, against my point of view, these mixture sport-tour bikes do have a market providing people with a way to sort of speed around the country side while carrying an overload, or just simply speed around without the bags.

Last time I posted on this issue, a guy wrote about his experience with the FJR on the track. Of course, he is a dedicate sport-riding fan with full gear and the works. In my view, he was doing what I consider to be 'sport' riding with an FJR in the track.

At the same time, the FJR is not a good bike to maximize one's lap-time on a track. Everyone talks about the nimbleness of the FJR in transitions, but the FJR would be too heavy of a steering motorcycle for the track, the Concour is even worse.

...hey, I sure hope I don't have to reach for the flame suit...I am just conversing here. I am always willing to learn and change my views.

And don't get me wrong...hey, I owned an FJR and have put a lot of money in it already. But I am just not emotionally attached to any motorcycles.

After all, every cycle has its con n pros.
Holy fuck dude!
"Sport" in its literal sense MAY mean a track oriented bike and "tour" may mean an IBR, cross country-in-a-weekend dedicated machine, but the two words put together suggest some compromises must be made.

Holy? intercourse? Wow!

Describe to me: What does the "compromise" in riding means as one would apply the label sports-touring to a motorcycle ride? I just want to understand it...is that so wrong?

And someone who tours/travels a lot on a bike may not necessarily be of the steel arses clang. I mean, one could travel on a bike all day long and at a leisure pace.

No flames please! I am shy.

Ok, I start with taking issue with your definition of the term "sport" in regards to motorcycles. Why does this have to mean either a "track bike" or something a young person is going to lose their life doing on public roadways? Why can't you accept that "sport" means seeking and riding twisty, curvy, challenging roads?

Phil,

its not that I don't accept anything. I accept anything anyone does or thinks as long as its does harm others. I am just conversing about what exactly do we mean by "sports" riding. If you think sports riding is moderately riding above the speed limit in a reasonable way for your parameter of skills, then ok.

Dudes i know around here, sports riding is speeding through public byways with curves. I am suggesting, perhaps challenging myself and other to be clear of what they mean by sport-riding. Cause I thought the only sport practiced on a motorcycle was racing--in the track (now you watch someone post people playing soccer on a motorcycle)

I guess if I don't accept something is motorcycle made so that they don't commit in design to fit the touring style. God knows there are plenty of 'sports' models around.

I accept your point of view...honest

Where is Bust when we need him. This is about where he would say "My balls itch " :) :) :)
I can testify. Bust's nutz itch so much.....my nutz itched all the way to the OP making it NEPRT themself. I wonder when the FJR is ever going to be a true sPoRT-Touring-Luxury-Hooligan bike. Oy.