The best tire pressure guage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't ask Scab....

I recently picked up a pretty decent one at Harbor Freight that hooks to the compressor and even bleeds pressure, with a nice big dial face for about five bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My .99 cent pencil gauge reads the same as my $25 Snap On gauge, plus it's easier to get onto the bikes valve stem.

I've used this one https://www.roadgear.com/productinfo/index....SubtopicOrder=1 for quite a few years now and and am very happy with it. Motorcycle Consumer News did a test a couple years back and rated it one of the best.
I have the same gauge and used it about four years before the "lifetime" lithium battery died. Should have sent it back (I bet they would have replaced it) but no... I thought I could get a battery local. Once you take it apart you kinda screw up. Worked fine but I always seemed to have trouble seating it correctly. It's the only tire gauge I've had problems with and I have a coffee can full of them.

Currently use an Accugauge with a hose. Works very well and is inexpensive.

You can't beat the Roadgear for size and weight. Just what you need on a road trip.(if the batt. holds up) :unsure:

Sears has a nice digital one for around fifteen bucks. I also have one like Toe has with a clip on chuck thats great at home.

I bought this air chuck/guage combo:
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92360

I've checked it against three different guages and they all read the same pressure.

A word of caution about this gauge, mine read pressure correctly for the first week, now it reads 45 psi when there is 35 psi in the tire. Still inflates fine, just have to use a separate gage for any critical tire pressures. I don't consider constantly flat lawnmower tires critical, just stop every two laps or so and top it off. . . but all the cars and bikes get checked with a small digital gage.

David

Gauges read differently. The most accurate on MCN some years ago was the pencil gauge. Acugauge dial and digital also was very accurate. I have both, a dial gauge from JC Whitney and a digital from Kragen. All but the JC Whitney read within .5-1 lb of each other. The JC Whitney read 4-5 lbs low.

Don't ask Scab....
+1

I bought this one two years ago and it has matched every other decent gauge within 1 psi. Monkey Grip digital gauge at Advance Auto Parts

I will add that IMO it's not as critical which gauge you use at home. It's the one you carry on the bike that matters the most. MAKE SURE it automatically compensates for altitude before reading pressure. You are much more likely to get a bad reading while on the road if not.

Latest posts