The Coast and GG Bridge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingshot

Reaction score
Ok, childhood dreams being realized -- seeing the Pacific coast line and GGbridge

The plan is to travel 101 from its beginning in Washington south pick up 1 and head to San Fran. From San Fran, I will head east to Yosemite and then east to St. George, UT with my end location is Santa Fe, NM.

I read the suggestions from Warpdrv's thread and yes,I am keeping tabs on Tyler's thread going east.

Was hoping for additional suggestions from the natives

Wingshot,

The 101 started in Washington? Thought it started in L.A. and ran north...

Anyway, its a great ride! Free Air Conditioning until you hit Garberville and then again when you hit highway 1 at the coast.. 1 can be a pain around Mendocino due to the high content of Greater Gay Area drivers lollygagging at snails pace, Morons who have a tendancy to stop in the road to gaze a vista etc.

DO WATCH FOR ELK south of Crescent City (Northern Calif, the real Northern Calif)!! Ask Brodie, the Elk seem to enjoy a FJR ennma..

FWFE

I read the suggestions from Warpdrv's thread and yes,I am keeping tabs on Tyler's thread going east.
Coming south from Oregon on 1 and 101 be wary of Elk crossing Hwy 101 south of Crescent City.

Fog really IS a huge problem for visibility along the coast sometimes.

If you like to hike(?), try Fern Canyon near Trinidad; https://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476

Try to plan a stop at the Samoa Cook House in Arcata for breakfast or lunch.

Another place to hike = Rhododendron State Park near Salt Point; https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=448

If you like Swimming Holes; https://www.weekendsherpa.com/issues/swimming-holes-in-northern-california-university-f/

Note: Problem is, you gotta park to see some of these things along the coast.

There are lots of side tracks mentioned in write-ups on this Forum such as Highways 96, 299,36,20,128

You only pay a toll $6.00 when heading south into San Francisco on the Golden Gate Bridge. You Do Not pay going North out of the city.

Keep the rubber side down, & best

@FarWestFastEddie... you are most likely correct since LA is older than Olympia, but it is my story so I get to tell it like I want... :big_boss: LOL

@Khunajawdge .. being an elk hunter :elf: I will most likely not see any, but thanks for the heads up & thanks for the additional ideas.

I would gladly pay the $6 to cross the GG if they gave me a receipt.

@Khunajawdge .. being an elk hunter :elf: I will most likely not see any, but thanks for the heads up & thanks for the additional ideas.
wing, that only works when you're hunting them. As soon as you put the rifle away and hop on a motorcycle, they come out of the wood work! Works for Deer, too. I got 2 at once and the season had just finished! :lol:

After Yosemite be sure to ride Hwy 120 EAST of hwy 395 to Benton Hot springs. Trust me, it's a great road for a motorcycle. At Benton you can go north on 6 to get to Nevada and south to Tonapah.

@FarWestFastEddie... you are most likely correct since LA is older than Olympia, but it is my story so I get to tell it like I want... :big_boss: LOL

I would gladly pay the $6 to cross the GG if they gave me a receipt.
Wingshot, It is your story, and I am sticking to that!!!!

On Highway 101 just south of Smith River, less than 10 miles into Calif from Oregon is a small Elk herd, sometimes visiable, However, just south of Klamath and again north of Orick is two huge herds of Roosevelt Elk, and I would easily bet you a cold one, you will see LOTS of elk right on the highway.

To correct my humble fishing friend George, Samoa Cook House is in Samoa, not Arcata, and its a Lumber Camp Dining Hall now used as a restaurant with family style dining, and a vintage logging museum on site. If you eat there, you will leave overly stuffed. They do not have a menu, each day the breakfast/lunch/dinner is different. Homemade bread is tops! and being from here, everywhere I travel, its the one thing out of towners will remember, that and the HUGE redwood trees, oh, and the fog...

Feel free to hollar when you get to this part of your trip, I will be more than happy to collect that cold one on the Elk bet!!

I may be wrong, but I think the golden Gate bridge is free for motorcycles. some of the bay area folks could confirm this. seems it ties up traffic with bikers trying to dig out wallets for the toll.

FWFE

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, but I think the golden Gate bridge is free for motorcycles. some of the bay area folks could confirm this. seems it ties up traffic with bikers trying to dig out wallets for the toll.

FWFE
You lost that bet!
It's what now, $4 for a bike or is it $6 with the new toll increase on the GG? I know it $2 more than the other bridges.

FWFE
You lost that bet!
It's what now, $4 for a bike or is it $6 with the new toll increase on the GG? I know it $2 more than the other bridges.
I think it is $4 but I have a fastrak and just fly through and don't pay any attention to the bill....

FWFE
You lost that bet!
I think it is $4 but I have a fastrak and just fly through and don't pay any attention to the bill....
Same here on Fastrak, even though I live 3.5-4 hours south of there

Feel free to hollar when you get to this part of your trip, I will be more than happy to collect that cold one on the Elk bet!!
Regardless of elk outcome, will give you a shout when I get near there; likely Sunday night or Monday am - Sept. 4 or 5.

The default way to Yosemite from the Bay Area is Highway 120 ("Yosemite Highway"). We prefer taking Hwy 132, which runs a little farther south through Modesto. So find your way to Modesto, then continue on 132 to Coulterville (at intersection of Highway 49), then continue out of Coulterville on J132, which intersects 120 up at Buck Meadows. Then 120 to Yosemite.

Fun path to Yosemite

Here are the great twisty parts of the ride:

• Hwy 132 the last few miles before it intersects with Hwy 49 at Coulterville. Holy cow! :yahoo:
  • Route J132 to Buck Meadows, but especially the first few miles out of Coulterville, with the brand new asphalt and striping. :yahoo:
  • The last few miles of Hwy 120 just before you reach the park entrance. Big, positively cambered, sweepers. Oh baby! (Even better when you're leaving the park heading downhill.) :yahoo:

P.S. When y'all gonna be in San Fran? Depending on date and time, might be able to show you a local sight or two. I love riding through San Francisco and if possible timing-wise could show you a few things.

Should be reaching San Fran on Sunday Sept. 4th. I will PM you my contact information. Always interested in seeing the local sites.