The end of PDP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I thought the whole purpose of the PDP was that initially, Yammi was unsure as to the success of the FJR stateside. If such is the case, how many years does it take to convince them this is a marketable machine?

In any account, bring on the competition. It only makes everyone better. Choice is good.

Well, I thought the whole purpose of the PDP was that initially, Yammi was unsure as to the success of the FJR stateside. If such is the case, how many years does it take to convince them this is a marketable machine?In any account, bring on the competition. It only makes everyone better. Choice is good.
+1...It will be interesting to see if Yamaha finally 'gets it' that the FJR is a success...maybe if the Kawi is truly readily available, that will turn the table....I'm not so sure. When I was shopping a couple of years ago, not a single Houston Kawi dealer had a ZZR1200 to look at..they all had Concours, though..in addition, Yamaha didn't seem to care that Honda had ST1300s on-the-floor, ready to roll.

With the release of the new Concours based on the ZX14 this weekend, I will make a prediciton that this will be the end of PDP.
When Big K has units sitting in a showroom that you can ride out on today, Yamaha is going to have a hard time finding buyers to put down money and wait 6 months.
It's an '08 model, so it's a ways off yet. Plus... and this is a sticky point... There's no affirmation that it will be released in the States, yet. The release info is only on the U.K. site. Don't know how much that matters just yet, but people have been screaming for the VTR and the TransAlp here for years and yet...

This could be the case with the tour 14 as well. I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yamaha seems to be shipping more '06 FJRs than necessary and there seem to be a lot more on showrooms than prior years. That's how I got mine - I refused to do a PDP. Maybe their ramp-up efforts have paid off and the bike is gaining decent public awareness now. Or maybe a lot of people have given up and backed out their PDPs. I don't honestly know. But the FJR made its way to my garage even tho' I could have bought the ST1300 at any point in the last two years while I pined away for the FJR - so there will always be people who want one or the other.

In addition, I continue to think the new 14 will be somewhere in the $15k range, thus pricing itself out of some peoples' grasps - especially prior/current Connie owners - tho' offering a NON-ABS version of it might create several price points (like the earlier FJRs).

Personally I think Kawasaki should have created a new identity for the ZX-14 and the Touring version of it, rather than hanging on the old Ninja and Concours names. The industry needs more standout moves, if not standout bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FUKKIN RADIATOR!!!!!

34697Untitled-1.jpg

Looks like the stories of legs catching on fire won't be limited to Boss Hoss's anymores..... :blink:

It's an '08 model, so it's a ways off yet.
I got my '05 FJR in September '04, others who got into the PDP before I did got them in early summer of '04. If Kawa operates in the same fashion, you'd see these being delivered in 9 months or less.

It's an '08 model, so it's a ways off yet. Plus... and this is a sticky point... There's no affirmation that it will be released in the States, yet.
Well, no, Kawasaki did, in fact, release the news that it's a 2008 model being released in the 2007 calendar year.... similar to the way Yamaha released the 2003 FJR in 2002.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of "official" word on from the Kawa USA web site; their shit is woefully outdated.

I don't know how far this horsepower thing will go (I'm sounding old eh?). I rode the Kawasaki ZZR 1200 a few years ago and it was amost unrideable due to the power. It was always ON! You had to be concentrating on the throttle all the time. 160 hp will do that I guess.

Yesterday I was out riding in the rain on my 06 FJR and the rear wheel kept breaking loose. That Kawi would have been a real handful. The new Concours has 20 hp more!

I can't imagine trying to ride 700 miles and having to pay attention to my right hand every minute.

I find the FJR probably has more than enough for the real world.

Let's hope Kawi doesn't label it Ninja as it would make it uninsurable too. (at least here in Canada)

Some of us don't have a problem with the PDP. I personally see the FJR as a bike I will own for a long time and put a lot of miles on (although nowhere near as much as some), so waiting wasn't that big a deal. What was a big deal was that because of the PDP program I got it for $2000 under sticker. Its been said many times on this board, because of the PDP program dealers will come down on the price. One of the big selling points for the Feej has always been that it does x,y and z well and for a remarkably good price.

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FUKKIN RADIATOR
<snip>

Looks like the stories of legs catching on fire won't be limited to Boss Hoss's anymores.....
:blink:

Well, from the stories on the ZZR board, they have to do something about the engine heat. (And FJR owners thought they were the only people complaining about engine heat) Still, that radiator has to be vented and the convected heat directed away from the rider.

But its very interesting. Competition, its a good thing!

Aaannndddd, dang that thing is sexy with its clothing stripped off.

I don't know how far this horsepower thing will go (I'm sounding old eh?). I rode the Kawasaki ZZR 1200 a few years ago and it was amost unrideable due to the power. It was always ON! You had to be concentrating on the throttle all the time. 160 hp will do that I guess.

From the posts on the other boards/forums/sites, the 1400 is supposed to be more rideable than the 1200. Evidently they changed the mapping or increased the size of the processor.

Let's hope Kawi doesn't label it Ninja as it would make it uninsurable too. (at least here in Canada)

I'm betting that's why they are calling it the Concours (GTR 1400). Yamaha got "clever" putting an "R" in the name, highlighting it for the insurance companies. Then called it a SUPERsport turing bike. Sheesh, thanks for nothing.

As for this being the end of PDP, I guess it really doesn't matter for those of us who already have an FJR.

I'm glad the new Concours is for real though. When I first saw the pictures posted, I thought it was just another concept bike.

What constitutes success in North America? I'm not sure. It looks like Yamaha sold about 3000 FJRs in the US and another 300 in Canada this year - Did I read something about 47 units in Australia???

Interesting to note that Kawasaki made and sold 1900 of the 2005 model Concours (the last year we have numbers for) and didn't resort to PDP or even mentioning that the machine exists.

Given all the press we're going to see on the new Concours 14, Yamaha will see that 28% share that was mentioned be eroded significantly - at least the first year if they price the machine close to the FJR

I don't know how far this horsepower thing will go (I'm sounding old eh?). I rode the Kawasaki ZZR 1200 a few years ago and it was amost unrideable due to the power. It was always ON! You had to be concentrating on the throttle all the time. 160 hp will do that I guess.Yesterday I was out riding in the rain on my 06 FJR and the rear wheel kept breaking loose. That Kawi would have been a real handful. The new Concours has 20 hp more!

I can't imagine trying to ride 700 miles and having to pay attention to my right hand every minute.

I find the FJR probably has more than enough for the real world.

Actually, you make some good points regarding hp. I'm more concerned about heft.

What constitutes success in North America? I'm not sure. It looks like Yamaha sold about 3000 FJRs in the US and another 300 in Canada this year - Did I read something about 47 units in Australia???
Interesting to note that Kawasaki made and sold 1900 of the 2005 model Concours (the last year we have numbers for) and didn't resort to PDP or even mentioning that the machine exists.

Given all the press we're going to see on the new Concours 14, Yamaha will see that 28% share that was mentioned be eroded significantly - at least the first year if they price the machine close to the FJR
Bear with me: This discussion reminds me of the Kawai family back in the 1890's developing pianos competing with Torakusu Yamaha both in Japan. They must have really been competing because today you will find some of the same quality integrated parts used in both pianos that are not used in any other piano manufacturer's pianos. Those two manufacturers are in the top three of finest pianos made based on attention to detail. Sure don't want to debate that here but can honestly say that my preference of piano is Yamaha based on feel and sound. With that said, I would imagine that Yamaha is leading the way with their PDP program (demand then supply). Also, Kawasaki is most likely playing catch up with their sport turing bike and probably duplicating some ideas from Yamaha. All in all, we have a manufacturer (Nippon Gakki Co., Ltd.) striving for perfection and the finest motorcycle.

It's an '08 model, so it's a ways off yet. Plus... and this is a sticky point... There's no affirmation that it will be released in the States, yet. The release info is only on the U.K. site. Don't know how much that matters just yet, but people have been screaming for the VTR and the TransAlp here for years and yet...
Maybe not. A source I trust says it will be in the Cycle World shows this fall and in dealerships in 1Q07!

I welcome the competition! Nothing like a good competitor to make all products better! Here is a side comparison shot to show the 2 together. Maybe we will get our RED :yahoo:

253798429_b418367273_o.jpg