The end of PDP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like Kawi is trying to get into a game that has already passed them by.... the aerodynamic treatment is fugly!! and what does it look like without the bags-thats why I ride an FJR vs. the ST. Let the war begin :ph34r:

looks like Kawi is trying to get into a game that has already passed them by.... the aerodynamic treatment is fugly!! and what does it look like without the bags-thats why I ride an FJR vs. the ST. Let the war begin :ph34r:
+1. I have to agree. And I don't want to say what I think that muffler looks like.....PM. <>< :eek:

looks like Kawi is trying to get into a game that has already passed them by....
Anything like when the minivan game passed Honda by? And then they simply redefined the species with the Odyssey?

Oh wait...we're talking about Kawasaki and motorcycles....hmmmm, 1984 comes to mind and Kawasaki not only redefines, but reinvents the sport bike. Remember the GPZ900R?

How about when Kawasaki pretty much reinvented the performance motorcycle in the late 60s with the H1, ten years after the British Nortons, Manxs and BSAs had pretty much set the standard for fast, light bikes.

Jump ahead to '73 and Kaw trumps Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Harley...hell, the whole world...with the Z1.

Shall I continue? The KZ1000S that won the Superbike wars at the beginning of the 80s...the ZL Eliminators that pretty much set the standards for Jap cruisers...even the monstrous and hideous KZ1300 Voyager that simply out-beasted the Goldwing.

I think you're being WAY too premature on counting Kawasaki out of the game. They might just wind up owning the game for a couple of years. They have a tendency to do that...steal the show, sit on their laurels and watch the world Hayabusa right past them.

But they always seem to come back though -- don't they? :)

BTW, I'll be keeping my FJR. At least 'til the display shows 6 figures on the odo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me, or is that seat, tank and fairing styling looking like a Beemer?

I think they are going for the GT market, maybe the police market.

I will certainly look forward to giving one a test ride in the spring.

I welcome the competition! Nothing like a good competitor to make all products better! Here is a side comparison shot to show the 2 together. Maybe we will get our RED :yahoo:
253798429_b418367273_o.jpg
Thanks for that comparo. For me, it reflects the appearnce of bulk and ugliness of the Kawa. Beauty is in the I of the beholder :D

I really like the FJR but it should have been designed to be in a class by itself. OOps!

Now we FJRers will have to invent some performance enhancements to keep up with the ZX14 sport tourers.

Lets start big bore kits and cylinder head jobs to spank that intruder into submission. Any one interested?.

Then, if that doesn't work, sell our FJRs and get KAWs to teach MAMAYAHA a lesson.

Looks are generally not too high up on my list when choosing a bike; however, the gills, bags, and giant muffler all detract from the Kaw for me. I do like the way the seat and tank look. I'll definately sit on one when I get a chance and see how it fits me.

I really like the FJR but it should have been designed to be in a class by itself. OOps!Now we FJRers will have to invent some performance enhancements to keep up with the ZX14 sport tourers.

Lets start big bore kits and cylinder head jobs to spank that intruder into submission. Any one interested?.

Then, if that doesn't work, sell our FJRs and get KAWs to teach MAMAYAHA a lesson.
I've owned a lot of bikes - and it's taken me a lot of time, money and angst to find what's right for me since re-entering the riding world in '03 after a ~5 year hiatus. The FJR is far and away the "nicest" bike I've owned, across all my bikes; fit and finish is nice, build quality is good, attention to certain detail is top-notch, etc. And I've never really been much of a Yamaha guy. I owned a Radian a bunch of years back that, on hindsight, just worked, never broke and didn't cost me much over the years I had it. It just did its job. No repairs beyond typical maintenance - ever.

The Kawasakis I've had have all been status-quo down to sub-par in that regard. Fast, run well, do their job well enough, but not quality-built machines, and always seemed to need that little extra bit of work, tweaking or attention. I did put 30k miles on a KZ440LTD, and believe me, that bike was USED UP when I sold it. Had a GPz750-T that didn't prove reliable at all. It went really fast and that was about the only thing it did well. It was in the shop as much as it was on the road. I like the looks of the ZX-14 and the new GTR, and I'm sure they kick ass on the street. But no way am I giving up the easy-to-feel quality of my FJR any time soon for one.

$.02/YMMV

I really like the FJR but it should have been designed to be in a class by itself. OOps!Now we FJRers will have to invent some performance enhancements to keep up with the ZX14 sport tourers.

This strikes me as a bit silly, but common. There are people who avoid the Honda CBR1000 because it is down on power from the Suzuki GSXR1000 (or whatever it is) . . can you really tell a dime's worth of difference between the two? I seriously doubt it. I would think only the most skilled of riders would wring 100% out of each bike and be able to tell the difference. The rest is just pen*s envy.

If I were interested in all-out performance I would have chosen another bike in the first place. I'm sure there are 600cc sport-bikes out there with better power-to-weight ratios than the FJR.

Maybe that picture isn't the final one. But it's still ugly. Chornbe already mentioned the quality--I've owned a Kawasaki. I paid under 6,000 for that one, and the quality was OK . . not anything close to Honda or Yamaha, though. There's no way I'm dropping 13-large on one. I don't care if they drop a V-6 into it.

BTW, I'll be keeping my FJR. At least 'til the display shows 6 figures on the odo.
Er, you'll be dead before that happens, so leave me the cash for the Kawi in your will, OK? ;)
????

I figure I'll be hitting 100k around mid 2009. Between my Kaw and FJR, I'm doing about 50k a year, 25k each, so with my FJR currently at 37k, less than 3 years and it'll tick over.

That is if the wobble doesn't get me killed. :)

Er, you'll be dead before that happens, so leave me the cash for the Kawi in your will, OK? ;)
Hopefully there wasn't a large turnout at the WFO this year. Otherwise it may use up all available bandwidth on the forum with that icon.

wfo5_rallyshirt.jpg

As said before I really like the FJR but I am dismayed at the lack of after market performance parts like whats available for the BUSA. Yes I know this FJR is a "tourer" but a litttle more sport in it will help the more sporty minded without the added cost of a second a machine. Pleease get something started!!!!!!!!!

As said before I really like the FJR but I am dismayed at the lack of after market performance parts like whats available for the BUSA. Yes I know this FJR is a "tourer" but a litttle more sport in it will help the more sporty minded without the added cost of a second a machine. Pleease get something started!!!!!!!!!
This is America. This is the land of opportunity. As I used to tell people in the church who said, "Someone ought to start this program/ministry/outreach!" GUESS WHO?!? :unsure:

We'll be waiting to hear about your solutions and offering to we who are your consumers. :rolleyes:

BTW, I kinda like the looks of the "New" Connie. To me it is a marraige of the ZZR1400 (except the grills actually serve a purpose and the BMW RT (tank/fairing around the cockpit area). The muffler can be dealt with by the aftermarket.

We'll wait to see Yamaha's answer next year.

There has been a vote on the island and you're elected.

You are to start an aftermarket company immediately! We all want more products for the FJR. We'll all pay you a fair price, but not too much for your goodies and they'll have to be absolutely bullet proof because we demand it.

Your first task is an engine mod to increase it 20 bhp and only cost $300. And it should only take 5 minutes to install and not void the warranty. You have one week. You better get something started!!!!!!!!

:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 95 connie for ten years liked it a lot. After farkling it I like it better! I thought it looked cool to. I hope the new one rides great because it sure is ugly. Makes me feel better I bought my FJR. I went for a 600 mile ride though everything highways canyons everything this weekend. I can say after owning about 30 bikes I love this ride with little farkling.

I owned them both connie and have an 05 fjr. The connie was bullet proof had good performance but that awful buzzzzzz. The fjr has performance and fits my need and style of riding. The new connie as said before looks like a BMW. Would I entertain the idea of buying a new bike you bet and even test ride it would I buy it? No! like what I have. What I think it looks like is an old connie with round corners and still be underpowered. and those awful air over hydraulic front forks, no no no.

lets wait a couple of years till alll the bugs are worked out and see then :p

It would be nice to see the PDP crap go away.

Give us two DIFFERENT colors and stock 'em up.

As for this new Kawi, I think it was made for the Power Rangers.

Huh? Performance? Uhm... what, exactly, do you think the FJR is missing, considering its intent and design? The rear suspension is a little wallowy, granted, but what exactly is it you're missing? Serious question.

It would be nice to see the PDP crap go away.

*nods* I'd have had one two years ago if they were more readily available without the PDP crap. I only bought this one because it was in the showroom.

Yeah, color choices would be cool. I drool when I go in to the Harley dealers - not at the bikes, tho' I do like me some Road King and some Street Glide love.... but because of the rich tapestry of colors they offer. Their Black Cherry is gorgeous. The new flat electric blue - yeah. The metallic slate - nice.

Yeah.