the fjr does more than i thought

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfilms

Reaction score
i have a 2013 fjr.

i am the second owner.

on saturday, i went from nyc up into connecticut via the merrit parkway/rt15.

plenty of afternoon traffic.

the wonderfully torqueness of the fjr made changing lanes and weaving through the traffic so easy.

i visited some cousins up near westport ct.

i stayed into the early evening.

google maps suggested the best route back to nyc was 95 south.

interstate 95 for those who don't know is the north-south interstate that connects maine to florida.

in some places it is just fine.

but near urban areas it is a royal PITA to be avoided at all costs.

saturday night i took the hour ride back to nyc via 95 south.

the road was filled with trucks, families and plenty of folks just doing the best they could not to die or kill me.

again the fjr, often thought to be a great motorcycle for the wide open spaces, performed perfectly in this crowded but moving (50-60mph) traffic environment.

i have had the fjr for approx four months.

i have put on about 3k miles.

i remain a BIG fan.

thumbs up.

rob

Yeah, the FJR will eat up those highway miles pretty easily but those roads you took on a weekend?? Ouch! You gotta embrace the motorcycling shortcut. Next time you visit your cousins take 22 up towards Chappaqua, loop over to the Ridgefield area somehow and drop down on them somewhere from the north.
smile.png
In any case glad the bike is working out for you and that you're enjoying it.

If I could only ride my fjr as well as that guy is riding that pig. Except he has no control where it is heading.

I hear ya, robfilms. My FJR takes me into midtown Atlanta almost every morning.

Of course, she also took me to SFO last weekend, and provided a spirited ride across Mount Cheaha on the way home. Listen to the BigOgre; he might be making a great suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had mine for only 3 months, and it is my daily driver. 20 miles to work one way on Interstate I-25 can be a pain, but wind, rain or sun, the FJR handles it all with ease. I can ride down to 45 degrees and not be freezing too much.

I have had mine for only 3 months, and it is my daily driver. 20 miles to work one way on Interstate I-25 can be a pain, but wind, rain or sun, the FJR handles it all with ease. I can ride down to 45 degrees and not be freezing too much.
How about during Chinooks, with those 90 MPH cross-winds
bike.gif

bike.gif
Can't be any worse than trying to ride through Bend on 97 and then fight your way up to Redmond. Grrrrrrr.....

Yup...even after owning mine for a little over three years, the FJR continues to amaze me. It's an incredibly competent motorcycle that impresses me every time I ride it...besides, I was born "in a hurry," and the FJR "hurries" well.

Last edited by a moderator:
bike.gif
Can't be any worse than trying to ride through Bend on 97 and then fight your way up to Redmond. Grrrrrrr.....

You must have gone on third street.It's a clusterfuck. I was told that at 10 am they let everybody out of the senior centers and give them a car.
smile.png
rolleyes.gif
If you stay on the parkway there is only 4 lights in 15 miles and traffic moves right along

Hi Ray, I was headed for US20 and I tried to use 27th street and got totally effed up in the round abouts. Then on my way back from Burns I took a wrong turn off 27th and ended up down town. I agree if you're staying on 97 headed north it isn't too bad. To make matters worse I was riding my clunky hard to shift BMW wishing I was on the FJR instead. Had to keep shutting it down at over-crowded intersections to keep from scorching the plastic. Grrrrrrr.... But what are you going to do since all roads go through Bend?

Well when you left Burns you could have turned south on 395 and just past Wagon Tire turn west through Christmas Valley and on to 97 one mile south of Lapine. Almost as fast cause there is very little if any enforcement but riding that slow ass BMW you couldn't use that advantage.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

bike.gif

At least you can get some great craft brewed beer at both end of that ride.

If I could only ride my fjr as well as that guy is riding that pig. Except he has no control where it is heading.
I'd hate to tell you what I thought he was going to do to that pig at first.

Sure it could. Make that ride the day after a solar eclipse crosses 97 a few miles north of Bend.

The FJR will do ANYTHING you want to do on it. Trust me. I've ridden every State , except Alaska. Every Province in Canada. The entire BAJA peninsula Mexico. From highway to single track to sand beach !. I've ran race slicks , car tires , knobbies , and touring tires. If you are brave enough to try it... the bike will do it.

Well when you left Burns you could have turned south on 395 and just past Wagon Tire turn west through Christmas Valley and on to 97 one mile south of Lapine. Almost as fast cause there is very little if any enforcement but riding that slow ass BMW you couldn't use that advantage.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Banghead!! You are right! I forget about Xmas Valley.

Did a 4 day / 1600 mile romp around Northern California the week after Labor Day. Got within a couple miles of the Delta fire before being turned around- good thing I don't have an itinerary when I go for trips.

I will say that Matole Rd (Lost Coast- Honeydew / Petrolia) is *NOT* FJR friendly. I may go back some day and try to find my fillings.

I went up into Connecticut, Vermont this summer from North Carolina. Stayed clear of DC and NYC. I-95 is horrible with traffic. FJR was great, especially once I got on the back roads. Brought new in 2016 and just turned 41,000 miles on it after 2 1/2 years. Really love this bike, but starting to get heavy off the kickstand for this 67 yo.