The good news is that I am alive ....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAZ 1

Reaction score
WELLllllll,

the good news is that I am still alive,

hurtin,

but alive.

the bad news is that there was an accident on the Malahat last night,

involving three or four cars, a truck, and a motorcycle.

I was the VERY LUCKY guy on the motorcycle.

the FJR was not so lucky.

Southbound on on the HAT, about 9:00 pm, the two cars in front of me hit ??something slippery?? The first car spun out completely, ended up in the North bound lane backwards, facing North. The second car hit the brakes, fishtailed all over the South bound lane, and came to rest in front of me.

I was third in line to hit the Sh!t, and because I'd seen what was happening to the two cars in front of me, I figured there was oil or ice on the road, so I was very gentle with the brakes.

NOTHING!!!

Brakes didn't work worth sh!t!!!

My bike started fishtailing, went over on the left side, and I hit face first on the right side.

I skidded several feet, coming to a stop when my helmet hit the back tire of the stopped car in front of me.

NOT GOOD!!!

I immediately decided that I didn't want to be laying there on the road when the following traffic came up,

so I rolled into the ditch.

I was there a few seconds when another car came by, couldn't stop in time, and plowed into my motorcycle, spinning it around a bit more. A few seconds later, a truck came up at speed, couldn't stop, and drove right over myFJR.

The good news is that am pretty much OK,

a ride in the ambulance down to emergency,

DR says only a FEW BENT RIBS AND STRAINED CARTELEDGE IN MY CHEST.

The nurse said she wanted to insert a magnetic probe in my rectum, to search for those horse shoes she was sure were up there.

The VERRRY Expensive BMY Ralley 2 jacket, boots, and my ZOX rflip face helmet all did their jobs admirably.

BUT THE FJR IS A TOTAL WRITE OFF.

I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT MY LUCK TODAY ....

A FEW SECONDS EITHER WAY, AND I WOULD BE WRITING THIS FROM THE MORGUE.

Tomorrow I'll deal with ICBC,

who I'm sure will attempt to insert a different type of rectal probe,

but hey.

I'm alive, and I'm walkin',

TTFN

Keep the Shiny Side Up,

LAZ 1

Wow. Glad you are OK. Good thing that you had the presence of mind to get away from the bike even after hitting your head.

Any idea what was on the road and how it got there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how unimportant the fate of our bikes become while in the middle of a short few seconds while our bodies are being tossed around like rag dolls, expecting at any moment a several thousand pound vehicle to come rolling over the top of us crushing our bones. And then things just happen that prevent any breakage to our bodies as we slide, tumble and roll between the split second of carnage that somehow allow us to escape almost completely unscathed.

By the description of your unavoidable crash, you definitely had someone looking after you. Sorry to hear about your bike, but more importantly, losing your bike is a small price to pay for retaining the ability to walk, talk & breathe. Whatever you did, you performed it perfectly during those few hundredths of a second!

Holy Shit!!! Well done! I thought of the car backing up to get out of the way when you said whee your head was resting. Good job on the Ditch Dive.

Where are you?

You are one lucky guy! But on the other hand, you had a hand in creating your "luck"......slowing down, anticipating and especially rolling out of harms way. Without your presence of mind, you'd probably be without one today. Well done!

By the way, I didn't get the horseshoe reference and too lazy to look up "ICBC"

WOW! Glad to herer you are still among us and relatively no worse for the wear.

Drove through there this morning on the way home. Certianly glad it rained a whole bunch last night and while we rode through there this morning. The rain probably made sure the snot was washed off.

Wow. Glad you are OK. Good thing that you had the presence of mind to get away from the bike even after hitting your head.
Any idea what was on the road and how it got there?
+1, Gunny! Just so glad to hear that you are OK, LAZ 1; Thank God!
A big PLUS TWO !! Jeez, that could have been a whole different outcome !

Last edited by a moderator:
That's about as close as you can get to the other dark side without actually going there. A combination of good skills and some luck got you through and thankfully you're not too banged up considering the circumstances. Hope you'll be able to get back on a bike soon.

Wow, LAZ, sorry you had to go through that. Good thing you kept your wits about you and made the smart play!! Hope your war wounds aren't serious and that your soreness will heal up soon..... gotta get ya back ridin'!!

HOLY CRAP!

Screw the horse shoe, go buy a lottery ticket! Glad to hear that your ok (for the most part)

Heal up fast and good luck with the INS co.

Greg

Scary stuff. Glad you are in one piece. You are going to be sore & hurting for awhile. When you get a chance let us know if the slick substance has been identified. Pics of the bike & gear would be appreciated too, but no hurry on that, sounds like you need some R&R right now.

Glad you are still with us! :clapping:

If i had to guess, I would say that a semi or something spilled some diesel fuel... That is some of the slickest stuff on the road when wet.

Heal quickly!