The good news is that I am alive ....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got off the phone with the Shawnigan Lake RCMP constable who attended.

The RCMP does not anticipate any charges against the drivers or riders involved in the accident ....

the RCMP had to slow down on the way to the crash site because they hit the sh!t too!!!

They also walked around the site, and had trouble slipping even while on foot.

berst guess is that it was oil brought to the surface by the heat of the Summer, and the first few heavy rains of the Fall.

Three cars towed, one truck needed a new tire, my bike is now an exhibit at the wreckers, where all involved are shaking their heads that the bike looks so bad, and I walked away.

OH, WHAT A LUCKY MAN I AM!!!

If you are going over the HAT, be careful!!!!

LAZ 1

[;{)

Whooooo-boy!

I'm glad you had the presence of mind to roll off the roadway...and it's a good object lesson for the rest of us to file in our bag-of-tricks.

Fingers crossed and heartfelt thoughts for a good outcome for you.

The bike can be replaced, glad you're not hurt too badly. Roads were pretty sloppy this AM on the way out...good thing it rained all night to give them a good wash'n.

--G

I must have missed something. Where did this happen? What is ICBC? What is HAT? Acronyms unknown to me. Good you are alive, congrats.

Tremendously celebratory prayers of you being okay; I would imagine every onlooker that came upon the scene,

was looking for the white sheet covering you.....What a magnificent sign of Grace.

Quick thinking on your part saved your life and family a lot of misery.....heal as quickly.

Wow! Glad you're OK man. I went over the Malahat early this afternoon (Sunday) and while it was foggy and rainy, it was ok, but the traffic seemed to be less that I remember the last time I was over the Malahat.

BTW ICBC is the Insurance Corporation of BC - government run insurance monopoly in BC.

Again, glad you're mostly OK.

ian

berst guess is that it was oil brought to the surface by the heat of the Summer, and the first few heavy rains of the Fall.

LAZ 1

[;{)
I'm very happy that you are OK.

I have a question regarding the road conditions - was the pavement wet? Did you see any sheen to the slippery area of the road? and how well lit up was the road.

Thanks

Tremendously celebratory prayers of you being okay; I would imagine every onlooker that came upon the scene,was looking for the white sheet covering you.....What a magnificent sign of Grace.

Quick thinking on your part saved your life and family a lot of misery.....heal as quickly.
+1

Amazing...

LAZ 1,

Glad to hear you are alive and OK. I was glad to hear that you had the awareness to roll into the ditch. Great thinking! With those "bent" ribs and the cartlidge I'll bet it hurts only when you laugh. Or cough. Or sneeze. Or breathe...............

Oh Man, Larry.....

Kudos to your quick thinking. Your stop, drop and roll manuever was a bit of brilliance.

Good luck with ICBC. Don't forget your 5 gallon pail of lube, otherwise....yanno ;)

Always good to hear someone who makes it through a crash OK. Sucks about your bike, but the alternative is much worse.

Sorry to hear this, glad your OK, it's a good thing I read this after I'm back, on the way to the ferry we ran into some heavy fog and rain, if I read this before I would have been a wreck (no pun intended) riding to the ferry. get better soon and keep us posted.

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!! :dribble:

Sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad you made it out OK.

Did they figure out what was on the road?

Griff

Last edited by a moderator:
FOLLOW UP TO FALL DOWN on the Malahat Saturday evening, on my way home from WCR:

The crash is over,

but the real fun has just begun!!!

Insurance ...

why do we pay thos ehigh insurance rates,

when the insurance companies seem to almost always try to screw us out of a fair settlement?

1.] Because ICBC has no one to blame ... as in "SOMEONE HAS TO BE AT FAULT" ...

they are witholding my deductible [ $ 500 ] right off the top of any settlement.

However, the adjuster's comment was

" THEORETICALLY,

IF you had got the license # of the truck that spilled the oil,

why then ICBC would have someone to blame,

and THEN I would get the deductible covered by the blamee's insurance policy.

WTF???

Like I'm gonna be memorising license plates while I'm waggin' my tail between the rock face on the right, and the deep blue sea on the left.

ICBC seems to think that the innocent accident victim is working for them,

responsible for doing their detective work,

rather than that ICBC is working for the innocent accident victim.

2.] Because this accident is a "NO ONE CAN BE BLAMED" scenario,

along with witholding my deductible,

they are telling me that I have no one to sue for pain and suffering,

so no $$ there.

3. I had both collision and comprehensive coverage,

but ICBC is telling me that anything that wasn't bolted down to the bike is NOT covered.

SO no compensation for my BMW rally jacket or Santiago boots [ there goes $ 1500 down the tubes] or my kevlar gloves, or my ripped pants.

They WILL, however, reimburse me for a new helmet, up to a limit of $ 300, as long as I bring in my old helmet, and a receipt showing I bought a new helmet of the same type.

WHOOOOPEE!

How many of you have helmets worth less than $ 300??

4. When I insured my 2003 FJR, I gave it a declared value of $ 8500. Seemed about right to me. ICBC was glad to take my money basing their premium rates on this declared value,

BUT GUESS WHAT???

When it comes time to pay out, they are telling me that my FJR is worth ONLY what their adjuster says it is worth.

WHY THE HELL DO THEY HAVE A DECLARED VALUE, and willingly grab up any premium overpayments if the owner guesses too high, but then undercut the pay out by assessing it lower??

ICBC seems to think that the innocent accident victim is working for them,

responsible for doing their value assessments for them,

rather than that ICBC is working for the innocent accident victim.

5. Is it just me, am I the only one who feels like ICBC Insurance isn't much of a value received for money given??

Oh well,

I shouldn't complain about the shafting ICBC is trying to give me ...

at least i am still alive to feel the pain,

TTFN

LAZ 1

[;{)

Man, that really sucks! One way to get yourself part way out of ICBC's cold grip is to place the collision and comp with a private insurer. Megson Fitzpatrick in Victoria are great and I've heard Beacom is good too. These insurers have much better rates and service than ICBC. You're only obligated to place the liability portion of your insurance with ICBC.

Good to "see" you writing here. Truly one of my fears hitting/sliding on something you have no control over.

I second the lottery ticket.

It's good to hear the gear did it's job, and why I'm spending money on gear. I hope to never be in this situation, but if I ever find myself in it, I hope I wasn't too cheap with my gear. What's money worth with your head under a tire....um....

Hope you feel better soon. If you just wanted a new bike, I'm pretty sure there are easier ways to get one....lol. :)

I'm sorry about the insurance thing...yes, it usually sucks...lotsa experience here in Nawlins' dealing with hurricane and flood claims over the years

State Farm rocks, but they are expensive compared to others...in this instance, you get what you pay for in homeowners/flood coverage

that being said, I've had two comprehensive claims with AIG (premiums much lest than State Farm even with multi policy discounts) and had to negotiate hard before settling on a $$$ figure

I did my own research using the internet and NADA, Edmunds, and Kelly with many faxes and emails going back and forth. Negotiated a no cost to me rental car.

After 30 days of back and forth, I dug my heals in when I determined a fair settlement, and finally the adjuster told me after the fact he needed to move the claim file off his desk. I got what I wanted.

The rental was only covered for 30 days and they figure you will settle before the rental goes away and you don't have a vehicle to drive.

So now I know to go slow and keep screwing with them extending the time the claim is in process as long as necessary for them to relent.

Now I don't believe for a minute I was being unreasonable, but their figures stopped at 10% less than what I thought was fair (fair defined as a bit less than retail, but way over wholesale/trade in value), so I waited them out sending them paperwork to look at every day. Even kept sending them the same quote from a local dealership over and over.

I can be motivated to take them on, but realize I'm retired and have the time and energy.

Sure hope and pray this is resolved to your satisfaction. But face it, you are in a battle, a war, with your own insurance company, so hunker down, load up with ammo, and go at it to get what's fairly coming to you.

It does suck (I have an '04) that they look at replacement value, regardless what we think the vehicle is worth. I know I'm screwed, even in a no fault or other driver at fault accident as all my vehicles are old, but working fine with $$$ invested in repairs and maintenance. If totaled, I probably would be hard pressed to purchase another equal to any of them. I'm anal keeping them in great running condition.

I wish insurance covered actually replacing the vehicle with a bit of a better one. It doesn't make me whole on the basis of emotional toll, time taken, and effort taken to settle.

Best of luck and keep us appraised of the situation.

We are here to support you and you are encouraged to vent...venting is good for your mental health

bottom line too, keep up the attitude of thanksgiving that you are alive and no permanent damage to you physically...there are folks here that lost a limb, or lotsa skin, etc. who spent a year in recovery and never will be the same

and then those who are 6' down. Keep counting your blessings...it's a good thing.

best

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry, Larry, Larry..... DAMN!!!!

And we'd all such a good time at dinner.

SOooooooo very glad you're OK. The bike and the gear is STUFF. Don't sweat the small stuff

re: bike insurance, I found out about premiums and "replacement" value when I renewed this year. You can place whatever value you wish on the bike (and pay the premium) but the actual insured - or replacement - value is what the Blue Book says it is. There's a high value for 'clean' and a lower-range value for ...'not so clean'. I chose a value in between .

I was going to say "good luck with the insurance racket" but if you're half as lucky with that as you were with this get-off, you'll be rockin'

ps - hugs to Sharon and give Ben a kiss on the nose for me