The Kindness of Strangers Towards White-haired Guys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little story from a recent motorcycling trip I hope you'll enjoy.

https://pursuit.olbert.com/2021/08/the-kindness-of-strangers-towards-white-haired-guys/

- Mark
Nicely done.  You're a good writer :)

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago, and two nice ladies stopped to check on me.  I'd already gotten a young man to help me pick the bike up, but they stopped to be sure I was OK to ride home.  I explained that this wasn't my first such mishap and I'd do fine.  One of them gave me a concerned look and said "Maybe it's time to give up motorcycling."  😐  I told her "Not while I can still get a leg over one."

Thanx for the kind words, "Old Guy" :).

I am -- oddly -- relieved to hear that other, more experienced riders (I've only been doing this for about six years, and had an eight month layover in there as a result of cleverly going down in a way which broke all my right-side ribs) also drop their bikes occasionally. Makes me feel that I might not be as incompetent as I suspected I was... 😀

Mark,

It helps a lot if you can "flat-foot" the bike on each side at once.  The bike can be lowered, the seat can be lowered, or narrowed, and the feet can be raised (waffle-stompers).  Park where you can leave by going forward, never backward.  Extra care with a full gas tank.  You can make your own luck, here.  Make all of your luck GOOD.

Thanx infrared. I can flat foot the bike -- I lowered the seat when I bought it. And I was going forward. But the road was narrow, so I started out in too tight a turn and voila! Next time I'll do one more back-and-forth to point the bike a bit more in line with the centerline so the initial turn doesn't have to be so tight.

I thought that's what you meant. But I'd think >>any<< braking action with the wheel cut sharply would be problematic. Of course, one is less likely to hit the rear break when you're first taking off.

A long time ago I decided that I'd prefer to be embarrassed by doing a 6-point turn rather than by dropping it trying a U-turn (or fewer than 6 points)*. Particularly if there's no-one around to help pick the heavy lump up. And, yes, even if there's no-one around, I feel embarrassed.

So far, my riding companions haven't commented (at least within my earshot), even though most of them are far more skilled at tight turns than I am.

As for front or rear braking, it's more difficult to brake gently to a stop with the front brake. I think it's that relatively sudden stop that gives you less time to reduce the lean. But of course your foot wants to be hovering near the ground rather than over the rear brake lever.

My advice would be never to hurry, and always get the steering straight as you come to rest (even if it adds a couple more points to your turn!). Straight steering means the bike is better balanced for the stop, and, even if the surface is slippery, using the front brake won't inevitably lead to a drop. Though avoid the front brake if you can!

* This is, of course, is the one area where my YCC-S bike is at a disadvantage. Even my Gen 4, though better than the Gen 2, still makes tight turns more difficult.

Enjoyed the read, and I'm glad that it all worked out, which it usually does. I'm no "stranger" to the kindness of strangers, and the motorcycle reinforces this for me from time to time. I don't subscribe to the "world is coming to an end" theory. I choose to believe that the world is a good place where good people do good things for the right reasons.

Some time ago, I learned how to pivot the bike on the center stand. With one hand on the handlebar and the other on the rear rack grab bar, pull very slightly such that the bike resides only on the C/S pad closest to you. Then simply rotate the bike. On a public street, that might be a bit dangerous but - just wanted to offer it as an alternative.

Nice story, Mark! (and now I see it was 6 mos ago!)
Coincidently, I believe I was just on that same road this past Saturday morning around 8am. I’ve been trying to ride more these days since I’m no longer commuting. Thought I’d take small local loop and it had been years since I’d been on Bear Creek Rd up to Hwy 35. Should be easy!
From Hwy17, went up Bear Creek and come to sign that says Hwy 35/San Fran to the right… this is not a turn I was expecting. So I take it and it quickly becomes a narrow ONE lane road with VERY blind corners, (ie, 1st gear slow…). Fortunately, zero oncoming traffic but I keep going past houses and a few Christmas Tree farms and eventually reach the spot I was expecting… but it was where Black Road terminates with 35/Skyline (the road I should have taken).
So I head North on 35, down Hwy 9 through Saratoga and back home to South San Jose with little to no traffic for the good twisty parts.
Other recent rides were up to Alice's for an early AM breakfast, then out to the coast/Hwy1 and a Watsonville/Santa Cruz loop… all of which I’m sure you’ve done.
Cheers,
Mr. BR

Last edited:
35! Hwy 9 down to Saratoga! Holy crap did that bring back some memories to this 63 year old! Hahaha. I rode that area (quite) a few decades back. Lol I remember pulling in to four corners and having my RD 400 lock up because I'd burned a hole in a piston coming up from Santa Cruz. Man, did some fun/stupid stuff on those roads! Thanks for bringing those memories back.

Burns1