• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

"The Last" Soltek HID Light Thread!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anything made it through with out taking on water!
While it's true, that the rain was of biblical proportions, never ending, truly sucked moist ass cheese, and that there was not one single dry spot on my person..............

My PHIDs suffered abslutely ZERO water intrusion. And happily, and unexpectedly, my Garmin SP2730 never fogged up.

And while the covers surely can't hurt, and will undoubtedly help somewhat. I can't help but be pessimistic for the type of rain encountered during the IBR (and even less severe). Eventually, that wet sh*t gets everywhere! But I will defer to FJRobert as he has them in front of him and I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, they shouldn't leak at all. OK, maybe a little moisture if exposed to a pressure sprayer, but not from rain.

Toe - any new news?

From conversation with BD they didn't have a fix.

Definetly at this price should not leak at all. There are 2 small o-rings that seal the 4 allen cover in place but nothing to seal the allen screws. My covers were very loose and will be put back on tighter but not tight enough to dislodge the o-rings. A very little sealer in the right places (6 for me). . . should be no place for a leak to occur until they come up with a proper fix. The covers don't quite cover the edge of the ring to body so this o-ring may still leak if not seating properly. Running the covers should help & protect the glass.

WC

The email I sent you was for FJRTech, not Bin-O-Facts, my mistake . . .

I inspected my lights last night and discovered one the inner o-ring on one light was improperly placed during factory assembly.

Both lights don't seat the outer o-ring evenly with outer housing. I can much more o-ring at light top than bottom.

Both lights have easy water access via the power cables entering the housing.

Good thing I'm a Candy Butt Association rider, I head for the hotel at first rain drop..

Double post, but at a later time..

Baja Designs is FAST on their delivery. Ordered Tuesday the rock guards, arrived today!

And the DO cover the outer housing / front ring / outer o-ring seal completely.

I can see how these rock guards could prevent leakage past the outer o-ring and/or screws into the light assembly. Very tight fit, and in my case, they completely cover the red ring / o-ring / main housing interface.

Of course, the cover should not be needed at all given a properly designed and manufactured double o-ring system.

I treated both my o-rings with a good GE dielectric o-ring 'grease' (long ago outlawed by the feds, good luck on finding a replacement), ensured the outer red ring was seated as good as can be, installed the covers, and am ready to test. Matter of fact, it's supposed to rain this weekend - so I'll be temping a mounting arrangement and going for a ride as soon as the first rain drop hits our area.

Let me be clear here - Ian has done one helluva job getting this Group Buy together, and I'm sure it has been on RPITA to him - this is a BD issue, not an Ian issue. Hold the proper folks accountable, and make sure it isn't SkyWay.

-DC

Definetly nothing but BD problem and does not have anything to do with Ian.

Thanx dcarver but my one lense cover (only got one but another is coming) does NOT go on far enough on to make good water seal between body & ring. If I force it up on the "body" there are 4 contact points that keep it from sealing completely.

I think the dielectric I have would mostly run off with major heat, sounds like you have a heartier variety.

Did all BD lights suffer water intrusion on IBR or other torrential downpours ?

Were they running covers ?

Did they check o-rings or tightness of allens ?

Hope it gets resolved but I cannot take the chance of failure while waiting for a solid answer about problem . . . .

My lights came to my home in Oregon today. Lucky me, I'm in Redding. Maybe my brackets will be there when I get home tomorrow. Hooyah! :yahoo:

Thanks Ian for getting this all done. I can't imagine the effort it took. I appreciate the effort.
Gunny!! Thanks Ian!!!!!! :yahoo:

My light's came in also.... No hurry on the brackets as it will take me months to get caught up with farkles. I've decided to stop riding when temps go south of 45 this year. should give me a couple months to "catch" up on maint. and farkling.

LC

So ya'll that aren't in a hurry don't mind if Ian sends me your set should they be done first? I'm ready and dark riding already..! :rolleyes:

Just finished up my Autoswitch & wiring for the BD lights. C'mon brackets ! Also swapped my old sliders out for a set of Ians, changed oil, tbs, & ready to put fairing back together. . . .

Just finished up my Auto switch & wiring for the BUD lights. Carmon brackets ! Also swapped my old sliders out for a set of Ian's, changed oil, tbs, & ready to put fairing back together. . . .
Could/would you post some pix of your install, particular with wiring runs, auto switch location, etc? I hate making mistakes on my 'first install' and boy am I good at making install mistakes.. and if you are willing, maybe start a new thread for 'Installation of Solteks?', that way this won't be the 'last sleek thread' LIL :rolleyes:

EDITED - posted content here, should have been here.

So ya'll that aren't in a hurry don't mind if Ian sends me your set should they be done first? I'm ready and dark riding already..! :rolleyes:
Not a problem.....Make me last, Ian.

LC
Thanks LC, that was nice of you! I'm in complete darkness for the inbound work ride, ride on back 2 lane roads, full of deer and other critters.

Not a problem.....Make me last, Ian.

LC
Thanks LC, that was nice of you! I'm in complete darkness for the inbound work ride, ride on back 2 lane roads, full of deer and other critters.
Not good, those critters and deer!!!! I feel safer on the freeways....lane sharing!!

LC

Spoke to Ian this morning. He said the brackets are back from powder coat, and will soon (maybe tomorrow) be packed up and shipped out to all us patient customers.

I didn't want to get pushy, rumor has it he's packin' heat! :eek:

Spoke to Ian this morning. He said the brackets are back from powder coat, and will soon (maybe tomorrow) be packed up and shipped out to all us patient customers.
I didn't want to get pushy, rumor has it he's packin' heat! :eek:
WOOHOOO! I have to admit I'm now antsy to get them bad boyz installed. Tx Toe.. (and Ian too!)