• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

"The Last" Soltek HID Light Thread!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well !!!!

It would seem that the USPS delivered my brackets not 10 minutes ago !!!

I know what I'm gonna be doing tonight !!!

Thanks, Ian !!

Well !!!!

Thanks, Ian !!
KaitsDad - when you get them installed, some pics please? Especially of the external wiring to the lamps.. that would be cool. Tx!

Well !!!!

Thanks, Ian !!
KaitsDad - when you get them installed, some pics please? Especially of the external wiring to the lamps.. that would be cool. Tx!
Gunny

Pics of the install and wiring would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that the USPS delivered my brackets not 10 minutes ago !!! I know what I'm gonna be doing tonight !!!

Thanks, Ian !!
Mine were waiting for me, including the missing cover, at the post office today at lunchtime.

Double thanks, Ian.

dougc

Package waiting for me when I got home, light brackets and missing rock/water guard :yahoo: :yahoo:

Ian I never had any doubts you'd come through, no really :p

Thanks for all your efforts on this deal sounds like it really put you through the ringer.

I propose we get all the Soltek group buy bikes together for one bright, massive headlight shot in the middle of the night. Can you imagine the candlepower? Think the space shuttle could see it from space?

206304235-L.jpg

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

I'll do an install write-up later tonight - I have to run to the store and get some fodder for the livestock.

My brackets came in the mail today. Hope to install this weekend. As soon as I get back from Eureka, Ca. Nice drive with fall colors and all. Would have been much more fun on the Feejer!!

206304235-L.jpg
:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: I'll do an install write-up later tonight - I have to run to the store and get some fodder for the livestock.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! :clapping:

Did you get a chance to aim those HID bad boyz? The angle of the camera makes them look like the are pointing at either side of the road.

Did you get a chance to aim those HID bad boyz? The angle of the camera makes them look like the are pointing at either side of the road.
Not yet. Still have to complete some wiring. I was just finding out that the 15 amp fuse I had in place wasn't up the task of establishing the arc.

But I now have peeling paint on the back wall of the garage .....

I had my eyes closed when I took that one.

Well !!!!

Thanks, Ian !!
Gunny

Pics of the install and wiring would be great.

John T, DCarver, to what extent do you want detail? Do you need wiring instructions? etc.,? Or just some pics to see how I did it?

John T, DCarver, to what extent do you want detail? Do you need wiring instructions? etc.,? Or just some pics to see how I did it?
I am interested in the wiring.

Thank you,

Ian - Thank you for the work you did on this GB. The brackets are great, I can't see them ever bending due to the weight of the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in seeing the wiring, switch selection and location, wiring to the lights themselves.

I don't have a bike to look at right now, hard to visualize.

For example, did you run power from batter to power block, power block under seat or in nose, relay location, then wiring back up to front, if so what side of bike, then are the wires to lights channeled via new holes in nose, under the nose or??

I don't need words, just pix, like a penthouse magazine! :rolleyes:

Got my brackets and missing rockguard yesterday. Wired and mounted the lights last night. Insane amount of light! Somewhere on the forum I read about the Autoswitch (CycleGadgets about $20) and had it waiting. It works great. Autoswitch plus relay allows you to used your stock hi/low beam switch to operate the lights. No extra switches, it is very, very small and instructions and diagrams are great. The following is the description from CycleGadgets I cut and pasted.

The Autoswitch is a gadget that defines what Cycle Gadgets is all about - a simple, practical, and unique accessory! Autoswitch allows you to control fog or driving lights without adding an ugly aftermarket switch to your bike. This is an excellent complement to the PIAA or Motolights auxiliary driving lights we offer, or any other driving/fog lamps on motorcycles OR cars.

There are three types of Autoswitch - a "Positive Trigger" version that works on most bikes, a "Negative Trigger" version for non-CanBUS BMWs with a turn-signal cancel button, and a CanBUS BMW version (R1200GS, R1200RT, R1200ST, K1200GT 2006+, K1200R, and K1200S).

To operate the Autoswitch, simply flash your high-beam in a specific sequence, or if you have a BMW press the turn-signal cancel button. The sequence and duration for these actions depends upon the version of the Autoswitch you install.

The Autoswitch includes a pre-wired LED that can be positioned in an unobtrusive place to remind you when the lights are on. If this feature is not desired, the line can be clipped or bundled up in an out-of-the-way location. The switch module is very small; I fit mine inside the fuse box on my R1100RT with no problems at all.

I used this one:

Model AS-5P - High Beam, Single Press. This version installs on virtually any motorcycle or car, and ties into the high beam circuit. Activate lights by flashing high-beams for a minimum of 0.8 seconds and a maximum of 1.8 seconds. The LED status indicator flashes during that interval to tell you when you can go back to low beam.

Works great!

Received my brackets and second lense cover today! :yahoo:

Very nice work Ian, :clapping: Thanks,

Now I know what I'll be doing this Saturday :yess:

No shit, I damn near had a deer strike tonight, riding the Ultra. 8 feet at 57 mph. I'm thinking those lights are going on the Ultra for as long as the feejer is down. This forest rat thing is getting old very fast and taking 80% of the fun out of riding right now. I need more light or more firepower or both. Or my truck. :angry:

I'd be interested in seeing the wiring, switch selection and location, wiring to the lights themselves.I don't have a bike to look at right now, hard to visualize.

For example, did you run power from batter to power block, power block under seat or in nose, relay location, then wiring back up to front, if so what side of bike, then are the wires to lights channeled via new holes in nose, under the nose or??

I don't need words, just pix, like a penthouse magazine! :rolleyes:

OK - well, here goes. Although, I'm not sure installation should be posted in a Group Buy thread - Note to Admin - if you want me to move this section to technical, just let me know. Thanks.

I installed a Blue Sea quite some time ago. I re-wired all of my farkles this past Feb, and in anticipation of the Soltek GB, I installed the necessary wire runs "In the wood" as it were, to accomodate the Solteks when they became available.

130955330-L.jpg

What you're looking at here is the end of the wires that run from the Blue Sea under the seat, up along the left side of the bike (inward of the frame,) and egress out of the air space behind the steering head. These are installed in high temp wire loom. I installed two 14awg runs, and three 20awg runs (only needed two).

Subsequent to doing this, I installed a set of Hella FF50's on Garauld's brackets, using the Soltek wires. I had previously installed the FF50's, but didn't know enough to modify the automotive wiring harness that comes with the lights - and ended up with a huge bundle of wires stuffed here and there. I cut everything to size, soldered, shrink wrapped, and Molexed most of the connections. So - installing the Solteks was relatively easy, as I already had the wiring in place.

OK - next step -

Here's the Soltek installation instructions:

206301748-L.jpg

No pictures. Me like pictures. Me not happy.

(However, there is some very valuable information about amperage draw - 10 amps per light on startup - smoothing out to 3.5 amps once the arc is established. Fuse accordingly! DAMHIK) :blink:

So - I remembered the Hella instructions -

206469301-L.jpg

This is exactly how the Solteks wire up. Just make the appropriate adjustments in wire length, and instead of hooking up to the battery (you could, and it would work fine) hook up to your distribution box. You can fuse at the Blue Sea, or in the case of the Hellas, the provided relay has a fuse integrated into it. Kinda cool, unless the relay fails. Carry a spare.

I simply changed out the terminations on the Hella harness already in place, and changed the connector on each light to a Molex.

206303281-L.jpg

I used .093' diameter connectors as gauges used are 14 to 16 -

206303399-L.jpg

I use colored shrink tubing to designate what's what - I find it very handy to have bright colors at 3:25 AM along the side of the ET highway in Nevada - much easier to deal with if I have to trouble shoot something.

I connect the connectors - and shrink wrap them together - (obviously testing first!)

206303593-L.jpg

Which results in a pretty solid connection. Do the same thing for the other side.

The wires dress behind the panels - up over the mirrors, they enter through the panel at the factory provided notch in the panel -

206454920-L.jpg

83318467-L.jpg

When I installed the Hellas the first time, I Dremeled out a matching notch in the cowling - and the wires have a smooth edged opening to ingress behind the panels. the red shrink wrap is entirely behind the panel - all you see is the black wire from the light.

I just finished figuring out the Auto Switch install - so I'll be finalizing the wiring on that this weekend, and doing the final dress-in. Then put everything back together.

Ready to get S P A N K'ed.

So - DCarver, John T, I hope that helps ya'all !

My install took me 2 hours. Nice job, Katesdad, your report is well done. I can't wait until dark to try these HID bad boys out.

Thank You Hal!

I need a pair of AMP crimper's like you have to ensure a good crimp.

Dremelin'g out the black cowling is a great idea. I was wondering about the wire route to lights.

I am wondering about the running of wire to a distribution center under the seat just to return forward again. I'm pretty much out of room already on the left side. Right side for power, running by ignition coils shouldn't be a problem, so maybe the right side would work.

After the deer strike, I'm thinking there maybe room somewhere, and still be accessible after all is back together, in the front cowling area.

Maybe I'll have the first 'quick access' panel with dzus fasteners on the front, for easy access to front side wiring.. :unsure: