The Most Dangerous Method of Commuting...? Don't tell Fang!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Source: American Journal of Epidemiology, July 15, 2007

Single Most Dangerous Way to Commute

The single most dangerous way to commute to work or even make a quick trip to the store is by motorcycle. Bicycling and walking aren't all that safe, either.

That's the word from researchers at the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, who analyzed data from the 1999 to 2003 National Household Travel Survey and determined that a motorcyclist is 58 times more likely to be fatally injured on a trip than are occupants of passenger vehicles.

Reuters reports that bicyclists and pedestrians are 2.3 and 1.5 times more likely, respectively, to experience a fatal injury than those who ride in passenger vehicles.

The safest mode of transportation appears to be the bus--as long as you don't count the fact that most people have to walk to the bus stop and in so doing increase their risk of fatal injury as a pedestrian.

"Measures that prevent crashes and injuries for pedestrians and bicyclists are needed, especially given the recent focus on increasing physical activity through active travel," the researchers report in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

It's a vicious catch-22. We're fat because we don't walk, but if we walk in cities and towns, we risk fatal injuries.

Other findings:

* Overall, there were more than 42,000 fatal traffic injuries and just over 3 million nonfatal traffic injuries each year during the study period.

* The most injuries, both fatal and nonfatal, involved passengers of cars, vans, light trucks and other types of passenger vehicles.

* The most fatalities occurred among motorcyclists.

* Bus riders accounted for the fewest number of injuries.

* People ages 15 to 24 have the highest risk of fatal injury.

* Seniors 65 years and older have a high risk of fatal injury, particularly when they walk or ride the bus.

* Men are more likely to have a fatal injury than women.

Pardon my ignorance (which would be the second time today!), but why is the CDC analyzing traffic stats? Are people carrying around glass ampules of smallpox in their pockets?

I disagree with this research! If I had to ride a Marta Bus here in ATL I would die much sooner, because I would kill myself!! :eek:

I'll take my chances....

JW

I disagree with this research! If I had to ride a Marta Bus here in ATL I would die much sooner, because I would kill myself!! :eek:
I'll take my chances....

JW
If you ride the bus in some of the local Bay Area cities, the other riders will save you the trouble of killing yourself by doing it for you.

Damnit if my relatives must be on every CDC and any other gov't distribution lists for these studies cause I get pummeled with them all the time.

I commute 55 miles per day....my issue is that there are only 3 stop lights in that commute, 45 miles of it is on the interstate and 8 miles are on a road that not one single person lives on to pull out in front of me (only danger is an animal) but its almost straight as an arrow. For the remaining miles it is pretty much bumper to bumper traffic and my headlgiht modulators let everyone know who is moving at 10mph with me know that I am there.

Pardon my ignorance (which would be the second time today!), but why is the CDC analyzing traffic stats? Are people carrying around glass ampules of smallpox in their pockets?
Must be one of those "we got money left at the end of the year.... SPEND!" kinda things. Practically anything is fair game when you gotta empty the coffers the last two months of the fiscal year.

Why doesn't the CDC use some of that money to come up with stats on the epidemic of stupidity among cagers?

"...determined that a motorcyclist is 58 times more likely to be fatally injured on a trip than are occupants of passenger vehicles."

That's because the cagers killed the bikers while talking on the f*&%ing cell phones!

Bob

Statistics have shown that bus riders in Southern California are more economically disadvantaged and tend to speak less English than motorcyclists in the same area. I'll stick to my bikes, thank you.

Jill

Source: data made up on the spot, based on casual observation.

Who cares about statistics, polls and the CDC? The reality is we all will die. Might as well enjoy every day as if it were the last one!

Source: American Journal of Epidemiology, July 15, 2007
Single Most Dangerous Way to Commute

The single most dangerous way to commute to work or even make a quick trip to the store is by motorcycle. Bicycling and walking aren't all that safe, either.

That's the word from researchers at the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, who analyzed data from the 1999 to 2003 National Household Travel Survey and determined that a motorcyclist is 58 times more likely to be fatally injured on a trip than are occupants of passenger vehicles.

Reuters reports that bicyclists and pedestrians are 2.3 and 1.5 times more likely, respectively, to experience a fatal injury than those who ride in passenger vehicles.

The safest mode of transportation appears to be the bus--as long as you don't count the fact that most people have to walk to the bus stop and in so doing increase their risk of fatal injury as a pedestrian.

"Measures that prevent crashes and injuries for pedestrians and bicyclists are needed, especially given the recent focus on increasing physical activity through active travel," the researchers report in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

It's a vicious catch-22. We're fat because we don't walk, but if we walk in cities and towns, we risk fatal injuries.

Other findings:

* Overall, there were more than 42,000 fatal traffic injuries and just over 3 million nonfatal traffic injuries each year during the study period.

* The most injuries, both fatal and nonfatal, involved passengers of cars, vans, light trucks and other types of passenger vehicles.

* The most fatalities occurred among motorcyclists.

* Bus riders accounted for the fewest number of injuries.

* People ages 15 to 24 have the highest risk of fatal injury.

* Seniors 65 years and older have a high risk of fatal injury, particularly when they walk or ride the bus.

* Men are more likely to have a fatal injury than women.
THESE STATISTICS ARE VERY INTERESTING, ESPECIALLY THE ONE CONCERNING PEOPLE 65 WALKING, ETC. I GUESS THAT'S WHY I CELEBRATED MY 65TH LAST WEEK BY RUNNING MY NEW FJR AT 125 ON I-40 FOR A FEW MILES. KEEPS THE ADRENALINE PUMPING, YOU KNOW.

We need capt. amerika to chime in on this one.....just wouldn't be right with out him.

That's why it's good to drive a Kenworth everwhere you go. But I have way more fun on a motorcycle. You can tell by the amount of bugs in my teeth from smiling. PM. <>< :D

The data is probably manipulated to force the masses into pubic transportation.(I did not miss spell)

I wonder which biker pissed off the CDC.

So is the new definition of disease, a motorcycle.

Bob