The problem with old bikes…

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollingsBob

CFR2022 Rally Chair, Certified JB Welder
Reaction score
For the last two years I haven’t ridden my other bike because I was working on it. Several months ago I put it back on the road, and was immediately unimpressed. A 68yr old bike doesn't have the suspension or the power of the FJR. So, my Vincent has gone to a Vincent restoration expert for a few months..he has already started going through it with a fine toothed comb, looking for deficiencies to correct. Tomorrow I will order new carbs and a new alternator..New tires, tubes and an assortment of small bits were ordered last week. Later this week I’ll call my investment advisor and get some money transferred out of my investments to pay for all of this. My wife says we are merely transferring our investments - yes I know I married the right woman!

Attachments

• 700B6F42-04B2-4989-9CF8-91B70F8E94C8.jpeg
    700B6F42-04B2-4989-9CF8-91B70F8E94C8.jpeg
    718.7 KB · Views: 31
Like a heritage home, I can appreciate a vintage piece of machinery without having the slightest desire to own (and maintain) one. Good luck with it!
and just like a heritage home, occasionally it needs upkeep, which costs money. I hope that it will give me pleasure for a few more years, if not, then I will recoup my investment..

Very nice Vincent.

We easily get spoiled by the capabilities of our FJRs. I suppose there are many modern motorcycles which have the same effect. Still, I appreciate vintage machines, historic homes, and many other things from the past. A lot of people must agree with that. Just look at the prices people are paying for 'muscle' cars which have a lot less muscle than a modern equivalent.

Last edited:
Always wanted a Vincent, still do but now I jones more for a Godet/Egli Vincent with a electric starter!

By the way, I'm glad you still have it. In Nakusp I remember you saying you were going to sell. It would be tough to sell a family heirloom.

By the way, I'm glad you still have it. In Nakusp I remember you saying you were going to sell. It would be tough to sell a family heirloom.
..and I still might. The idea behind having it being seen by a restoration person is that upon its return I will either fall back in love with it, or sell it. Either way, the work done will either make it more pleasant to ride, or more valuable to sell..

Always wanted a Vincent, still do but now I jones more for a Godet/Egli Vincent with a electric starter!
Oh, you mean like this…1330cc, 5 speed. Now owned by Ryan Reynolds. It was loaned to me for a day a few years ago after my Rapide broke down..

Attachments

• 5246DDF0-7F9F-4BBD-B2B2-097DEF31F689.jpeg
    5246DDF0-7F9F-4BBD-B2B2-097DEF31F689.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
I know what you are saying.
12998456_10154147253214628_125371891972662186_n.jpg

And it's worth way more than my FJR.

Well after we drug it home from the Black Homestead and you helped me get a Handy lift cheap, I told you you could use the lift.
I suppose I should come and get it, it won't be cheap as I always spend to much and since you have two of those motors it would be really expensive as I'm seeing a Nickel Plated Street tracker Version. Maybe we could get Hudson's help and get his Rickman buddy to build a frame!

Oh, you mean like this…1330cc, 5 speed. Now owned by Ryan Reynolds. It was loaned to me for a day a few years ago after my Rapide broke down..
Yes, that is what real wood is made of. Quoting an old departed friend "JSNS".

Nope, that’s an XR-1000. In production for 2 years.
Really? The twin carbs facing backward had me fooled. I thought the XR-1000 did the "compromise" of a single carb like most H-D V-twins.
The XR-1000 wasn't well-received, as I remember. H-D cut out too much of the performance of the race bike, was the beef.