The six dollar man

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking my first mile walk today through a nearby park. Guess where a dog with a knee-high face bites someone who just had a knee replaced. That's right, on the backside of the left knee and 3 inches from the incision. What a joy. Now I get to take a 10-day course of antibiotics to try to head off an infection that could necessitate two additional surgeries and a year of rehab.

I was massively pissed off. I still am.

The dog owner stepped up to the plate in a big way. Before the dog bit me, I saw the owner training it on an extended leash. The dog apparently broke free from the long lead and went after me. As I heard it approach, I heard the owner calling it at the same time. I turned and showed myself to the dog, arms out, palms open, bent slightly forward. The dog (I thought) recognized me as no threat and turned to return to the owner. I turned and walked away with the owner still calling the dog and didn't think anything of it. My back was turned when the dog was coming after me again. He bit the inside of my knee and ran. I was furious. The owner asked if she could return the dog to her car and then talk to me. She accepted full responsibility for the attack and any medical costs. She gave me all of her personal information and photographed my knee.

The dog is a red heeler. Apparently I look and smell like an Australian steer. Less than two months ago I was in the very same spot with my three-year-old grandson. I love dogs but if my grandson had been the one bitten I think I would have strangled the dog with its own leash. I wasn't carrying. I was in a city park adjacent to a school.

FWIW, Heelers, blue and red are fuckers! I've been bitten 3x at work. EVERY time has been a Heeler or some kind of Heeler mix. They are super wired and love to bite, even though at heart, they are chichenshits. You were good until you turned your back on that POS. NEVER turn your back on a dog you don't know and trust.

I hope your knee gets better!

I had my 5-week check up today. I got cleared for everything except the unicycle. The surgeon thought the dog bite was pretty inocuous and well healed (but not well heeled).

I took a short hour or so ride today. I had already forgotten how nice having a new shock (thanks escapeFJRtist) and properly sprung forks (thanks PNW spring meet) was. What a delight to ride. I was hesitant to put left foot down first at stops unless it was really slow and controlled. I haven't done any PT to exercise the muscles used in up-shifting and that felt odd but it wasn't particularly difficult. I'm working with a left leg that is slightly longer and much straighter so odd isn't surprising. The worst part was lightly bumping the new knee into the fairing. Ouch. It's been babied for a long time and didn't like those occasional light bumps.

No excessive swelling at the end of the ride but a pretty sore upper quad. There are some muscles that are apparently still atrophied...or I'm just a sissy.

Today starts the sixth week since surgery for me. My physical therapist had already excused me from my Friday appointments a couple of weeks ago. She discharged me completely today. I don't have to go back anymore, I can just do the PT exercise schedule I've been doing at home. She said I was the Superman of knee replacement rehab. Too bad...I used to respect her.

I spent the last two days climbing up and down ladders prepping and painting. Saturday I went to low tide, walked over fields of rocks carrying a large pack, and carried my grandson part of the way. On Sunday I went to low tide by myself and walked a mile and a half in the sand. A little swelling and a sore quad was the result.

I've taken the FJR on several short rides now with no incidents. Next week I think I'll ride Chuckanut Drive with my neighbor. Maybe I'm back.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, the dog survived but it will forever have a very bad taste in its mouth.

I went for a four-hour ride today with no issues at all. I spent quite a bit of time on the stock pegs with the knee bent rather than the highway pegs. There are still some comfort limitations in that position but it's too early to really tell. My default position was on the highway pegs before (even in town) to avoid pain and fatigue in the left knee. Perhaps that is a problem of the past, now.

I had my second knee (the right) replaced October 18, 2021 so about 10 days ago. I'm not pushing it so hard this time if you ask me. If you ask my wife you may get a different opinion. I came home and did at-home post-op exercises that were brutal the first three days. I did some distance walking in the aisles at Home Depot and Sprouts. I could also walk around my kitchen island 40 times to put in 1/4 mile here and there.

My first PT appointment was a week after surgery. I walked into the PT office with no walker or cane. She had me practice stepping up a short step doing weight transfer with the surgical leg. I took this as permission to go up a flight of stairs left-over-right when I got home. That hurt. But nothing that ice, elevation, and extra narcotics can't erase. This one is going pretty quickly like the left one did. Too bad about the nasty (slippery) weather or I'd be doing some outdoor walking. I'm hoping to be able to ride after 5 weeks like last time.