The Trip Home

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty kilometers west of Lillooet I spotted a bridge crossing the creek that looked interesting...
Interesting?!?!?!

I have an entirely different adjective tht isn't printable. About an hour past Whistler, pouting rain, 20 kph for a 90 degree left turn, what-the-heck.....a wooden bridge! exskibum fishtailed and made it, I lost the front and slid into a ditch, Nightshine barely kept his bike up and missed me.

No permanent damage but to my bruised ego. Everything works an we kept traveling down the road to Kamloops, then to Sumwapta Falls through Banff an we're now in Waterton Lakes with wifi that works.

Did I tell you how much I hate BC's wooden bridges, especially with no warning signs.
Bummer, I got lucky and there was no rain once I got past Whistler. Having been on the Duffy Lake Road before I had some idea of what to expect and knew where to have fun and where to back off.

Today I stopped short of my planned destination. I'm in Regina (insert your own joke here) Saskatchewan tonight after a damp and cold day. Today was a tour of the Tim Horton's of the Prairies since I don't think I passed one without pulling in to get a coffee to warm up. One must have a fully loaded Tim Horton's card if one is going to cross Canada at this time of year. Most of the time it stayed in the single digits © (upper 40's F) and was damp and finally my original knee that I have left couldn't take it anymore and needed some lubrication of Fourty Creek Premium Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey. My artifical knee was done in Ontario and apparently has the proper amount of antifreeze since it is not giving me any grief about the abuse I am giving it.

The camera stayed packed away today since once you've seen one grain elevator you've pretty much seen them all. Also, it was just too wet to bother.

Tomorrow looks much better in the forecast and maybe I can get back on track.

Later...

Yah...it's cold and wet out dere!

It was 3 degrees when we rode throught Jasper an cloudy through Banff. Sunny for lunch then rained half th way to Waterton. It's supposed to be cold tomorrow when we cross into the U.S. and try to see Glacier. It's supposed to snow Friday but I should be heded across Nevada to home.

It's all Barb's fault. And she & Ty have been enjoying sunshine on the island! :angry2:

J/K....who could be angry with the two of them! :nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
i got back yesterday after my border to border and 1500 bun burner.my report soon.someone send canada some fkn sunshine.wtf.
Damn.....you're STILL whining !! :p
:rofl:

Can't say how many times over the radio on Friday's ride that Bill said he's never coming back to Canada.

You're always welcome Bill. Hopefully next time we can arrange better weather for you! :-D

i got back yesterday after my border to border and 1500 bun burner.my report soon.someone send canada some fkn sunshine.wtf.
Vancouver Island used to be covered by a Rain Forest. How do you think the trees got to be so big? Did you think someone was watering them?

While the following was from the West Coast of New Zealand, I think it is also appropriate for explaining Vancouver Island...

508976471_ZCELf-XL.jpg

And she & Ty have been enjoying sunshine on the island! :angry2: \\
Um, not really... sunny when I arrived last Wednesday... sunny this morning before I left dammit... I needed a coupla more days! <_<
I thought you two carried sunshine where ever you went. :dntknw:

Maybe its just the way I've always experienced it you two "Little Miss Sunshines"? :unsure:

1009645156_sHksM-L.jpg

I saw the sun today :yahoo:

I spent the day sitting there and twisting that (actually pushing that button on the cruise control). After 12 hours and almost 1100 km we covered the ground between Regina SK and Grand Rapids MN.

My dad was raised on the prairies and then he worked for John Deere for 35 years. His idea of a vacation was to pack us kids into the car and drive from the Niagara area to Roblin Manitoba so we could help out on my uncle's farm during haying season. Some vacation. There was some fun when we got to drive the tractors. When I rode past the John Deere dealer in Grand Forks ND I just wish I had a chance to play with this toy...

1009563018_LQV2D-L.jpg

Then there was the[SIZE=18pt]REALLY BIG[/SIZE] tractor...

1009562606_ZuazF-L.jpg

Tomorrow will be a nice short day with a stop at Aerostich to check out a few items and then stop at St Ignace MI. On Friday it will be a nice short ride to Bust-A-Nut's abode for a pit stop where I will report on Dolly's slide into disgrace.

Dependent on the number of Crown Royals consumed we will then make our way home either Saturday or Sunday and hen prep the bike for NAFO leaving on Tuesday.

Later...

Hi there from the Mackinaw Straits.

Today we actually got to ride in the sun for a while :yahoo:

Made another stop at Aerostich to pick up a few more items. Fortunately the bike is pretty full of other stuff so I couldn't buy too much. I made a quick stop at the beach in Ashland to check on Lake Superior...

1010646908_vgEpq-L.jpg

I can report that it was too cold for swimming (and I've swam in the Artic Ocean).

I have checked in with Bust-A-Nut to make sure the Crown Royal will be properly decanted on my arrival tomorrow.

The plan is to hang around for the Saturday tech section since a number of the other FJR Forum members plan to drop in to kick around a bunch of tires. By Saturday afternoon it will be time for me to complete this trip.

Yes I have told Bill it would be properly decanted....

[SIZE=8pt]Little does he know, I will have dispensed with the crown and filled 'er back up with $2.00 swill[/SIZE]

and have also swept out the breeding shed for his lodging pleasure. Since Dollys abrupt departure it doesn't get much use. :cray:

:jester:

Yes I have told Bill it would be properly decanted....[SIZE=8pt]Little does he know, I will have dispensed with the crown and filled 'er back up with $2.00 swill[/SIZE]

and have also swept out the breeding shed for his lodging pleasure. Since Dollys abrupt departure it doesn't get much use. :cray:

:jester:
When we would catch a cold as little kids my mother would give us a shot of Crown Royal before putting us to bed. Therefore since the age of four I can tell the good stuff from the swill. As a side note Maritimers (Atlantic Provinces) were bottle fed screech as babies. (Google Newfoundland Rum). This may explain some of MEM's recent behavior at WCR...

1005382675_N29oe-L.jpg

As to the sleeping arrangements, I used to sleep inside nuclear reactors waiting on the operators to run tests which may explain a few of my "quirks". As long as the bedding is not glowing a nice shade of blue I'm happy.

... Maritimers (Atlantic Provinces) were bottle fed screech as babies. (Google Newfoundland Rum). This may explain some of MEM's recent behavior at WCR...
Um....<clearing throat> .... exqueeze me? MEM's behaviour at WCR?

Bill .... don't forget about your prosthetic knees. I can kick your a** and then run like hell.

Which I may have to do next week ..... :rolleyes:

... Maritimers (Atlantic Provinces) were bottle fed screech as babies. (Google Newfoundland Rum). This may explain some of MEM's recent behavior at WCR...
Um....<clearing throat> .... exqueeze me? MEM's behaviour at WCR?

Bill .... don't forget about your prosthetic knees. I can kick your a** and then run like hell.

Which I may have to do next week ..... :rolleyes:
This is exactly the kind of behavior I am talking about :nhl_crach: