The Ultimate FODS Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
After getting all hyped up about going to Moab in March with members of the AZBeemers and the FJR Forum, I was thinking of a Dual-Sport ride of a lifetime, riding the Great Western Trail. I've seen videos of this ride being done on Bicycles, ATV's and Motorcycles. There are groups that do it every year, some make it some do not.

The entire trip, 99% being off-road is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,265 miles in length. I just ordered a magazine that includes maps and GPS routes just to see what this trip would entail. There are three videos on YouTube, each of which are about 8 minutes long each that I have posted below. I believe this trip is about 13 days long, running along the mountain peaks following the Rocky mountains and several other mountain ranges. It also traces many famous trails that follow the Pony Express Riders and the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

My question is; would anyone be interested in riding this Ride of a Lifetime? It would take some planning, figuring cost, time, risks (if any), equipment, gas, lodging or camping locations and the decision maximum riders to participant.

If anyone "Might" be the least bit interested, post up here. If at least 6 riders are serious about this, I will do the research to determine the categories listed above and share with everyone. I believe once these many questions are answered, the numbers of interested riders could really grow.

Dual-Sport Canada to Mexico Pt.1

Last edited by a moderator:
If Joe will let me use his DRZ, I'm in...If course, I may just stop being a loser and buy my own Goddammed dirt bike by then. Either way, I've thought about this trip more than once.

AJ, I just might want to do this trip myself.

In that case you cannot use it. You will have to get your own.

So so sorry.

Joe

AJ, a good preemptive ride is the Paiute Trail in Utah. It covers 2500 miles of trails, about a third well maintained covering three mountain ranges with altitudes exceeding 11,000+ft. with either side of the 8' trail you're riding going down a couple thousand feet at really steep angles. These trails don't include the thousands of miles of non-maintained trails. The cool thing about the Paiute Trail is you can either camp or stay in hotels. The towns are just far enough apart where its a quick detour for gas, food and lodging. Lodging is cheap (usually between $45-60 per night) and camping is free. Although the Paiute Trail is originally set up around ATV's, it is open to any vehicles 50" in width or less. Its the kind of place where you can disappear for weeks if so desired, your vehicle does not have to be licensed so long as it has your respective state OHV sticker, so it can be ridden on any of their city streets. The Paiute trail also shares over a thousand miles of the Great Western Trail, whereas it can be ridden the full length of Utah, but not in the winter. This trail seldom gets crowded and when it does its only near the two largest cities Richfield and Marysvale and usually only during the Jamboree. I have been there numerous times, it is by far the greatest place on earth to ride anything off-road. Beautiful scenery, historic places, lakes, riding the mountain ridges at high elevations, friendly people, great food, wildlife. I look forward to taking my WR there for a few days. And its not far from Moab. At the intersection of where I-70 and I-15 meet is in the heart of Paiute country. The Paiute Trail has every type of riding anyone can ask for, mountains, deserts, plains, hills and valleys.

Joe has also been to the Paiute trail system also, although not sure if he has ridden his Suzuki there or not.

Check out the link below! Its called an ATV trail, that is because anything wider than 50" can't get on it. There are motorcycles also and side-by-sides under 50".

https://www.atvutah.com/

Check out these photographs! As far as the eye can see and beyond!

https://www.atvutah.com/photos/photo.htm

AJ, I just might want to do this trip myself.In that case you cannot use it. You will have to get your own.

So so sorry.

Joe
Tucson Joe, You and I HAVE to go on this ride to make sure these dumb loser bastards don't kill themselves in the dirt. If it wasn't for you and I, yamafitter-QTip-rushes-Chris would still be vulture chow down in Mexico's Copper Canyon! Big-D if this is for 2014 I'm so in, I'll talk to Cliff at Sierra Vista Yamaha and score a new WR450F with the street legal package (only fags ride KTM's!).

(only fags ride KTM's!).

I'd be interested in 2014 with my 690r. Oh boy it used to be just Yamafitter afraid of the orange! Don't worry Mr BeemerDon I would never rooster tail you too bad
smile.png

(only fags ride KTM's!).
I'd be interested in 2014 with my 690r. Oh boy it used to be just Yamafitter afraid of the orange! Don't worry Mr BeemerDon I would never rooster tail you too bad
smile.png
Stop it Mr Bill, I'll have you know that Yamafitter is the smartest Canadian that I have ever met; Oh wait a minute folks, that is not a very good rationale now is it!

Ah fuk.. nevermind.

I misread....

I thought it said FAGS.....

Can't really blame me what with AJ, Beemerdons, Joe, and big D responding..

I am glad to be getting some interest. This would be a nice ride, even for dumb people. It would be good even for AJ, even if Bust rode bitch. After I get back home from watching my little girl try on her wedding dress for its final fit, I will start researching this ride.