The WHY NOT 2023 is a reality!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Lets do this!
I figured I will start a clean post with just the facts.

Dates - 09-07-2023 thru 09-10-2023

Lodging - The Oregon Trail Motel and Restaurant, 211 Bridge St, Baker City, OR 97814 P# 541-523-5844 Manager is Mark Linderman but mention the Why Not M/C group and you should get the rates below from anyone that answers. For a Motel and Greasy spoon they have awesome reviews! https://tinyurl.com/4zc65d49
I worked with the manager and came up with the following rates;
Singles (1 bed):
3 upstairs
8 downstairs
All singles have been taken!
Double (2 beds):
11 upstairs
10 downstairs
We are offering 2 rates for this group. The rates are below.
No breakfast rates:

1 person 1 bed: $56.15 a night
2 people 1 bed: $61.77 a night
2 people 2 beds: $73.00 a night
With breakfast rates:
1 person 1 bed: $61.77 a night
2 people 1 bed: $67.38 a night
2 people 2 beds: $84.23 a night

Saturday Night Prime Rib Dinner - (Provided by the restaurant) and served at The Elks Lodge - 1896 2nd St. Baker City OR 97814. The cost is 32.00 Per Person which includes, Prime Rib a side, soup or salad, and a dessert. At the lodge dinner comes with coffee or water BUT you would have access to the bar there for all drink types. I will take payments for the dinner cause its a PIA that I don't want to burden the Restaurant with it given all the late adds and cancels. Wayne of FJRiders.com is going to assist with the Registration/Dinner site which will be up early July, once up I will update this and the registration thread.

THOUGHTS
If there is a concern that they do not have enough rooms there is also the Bridge Street Inn directly across the street whom I have not engaged. This place appears to have nicer rooms and the rates to match that - about $100 a night. We will cross that bridge if we book all the existing rooms...

I have also asked the Restaurant if they would be willing to run a Friday night Reuben Special if they do not already have one on the menu :cool:

This area is rife with phenomenal riding and we plan to head out from Bend Thursday am with a mid afternoon arrival.

I am looking forward to seeing old friends and hoping to meet some new ones!

JP

Fun Fact About Baker City -----> I am going to have to check out this 80+ oz. gold nugget, discovered in 1913 it has been on display daily at the US Bank for over 50 years!

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/baker_city/#.ZACiq1lvG4k

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/great-salt-lick

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-armstrong-nugget

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sumpter-valley-gold-dredge

Attachments​

• Locale.png
    Locale.png
    408.6 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• 1677801827801.gif
    1677801827801.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, well, well, this initial outpouring of support for this event is warming the cockles of our hearts! Let's keep this momentum going folks!

There are the committeds and then there are the fencesitters. I am offering at N/C conversion therapy for this affliction. Here we go;
The commiteds are pillars, they love the smell of leather and ballistic fibers, respect of the flag and nation is at the forefront , others look upon them with admiration, jealous of their youthful exuberance and constant smile. The commiteds were not born with these sought after traits, no, no, no. Miles of saddle time AND attendance at great rallies ingrained these features into the core of the very fibers they are made of. We all strive to be a commited!
Fencesitters on the other hand fear commitment, it could have been that GF or BF in the 9th grade that announced they were dumping them via sign language by kissing your best friend in front of you. Lack of commitment is not a crime, rather it is a show of hope! Straddling that fence with one foot in a bucket of cold water while the other is in a hot tub full of bikini clad women (or speedo'd men - ew) Whatever it is that led you to the pickets rejoice as their is still hope! You wanna walk with your head held high? You want that chiseled square chin? You wanna drag that knee? You wanna pop that champagne and spray it all over the first place loser in the game of life then make the change and make it now - be Commited!

Disclalimer - The views of JP do not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Similarities to actual people are mere coincidence and are in no way intended to denigrate or offend. No animals or feelings were intentionally hurt writing this post. That being said...

COMMITEDS
1. Auburn + 1 - COMMITED!
2. PhatAir4Me +1 - COMMITED!
3. AdamK - Book a room to make your place on the list permenant! - COMMITED!
4. Panman - Misc ramblings coming out of your radio! Squelch it and book a room sir! - COMMITED!
5. Eddie Rascal - Leaving it to Beaver! - COMMITED!
6. SkooterG - What happened! - COMMITED!
7. Bugnatr + Buddy - I knew you could do it! - COMMITED!
8. FJRWalker - You voted in the primaries - Step up to the ballot box now! - COMMITED!
9. Rocnsanman - WTF does that handle mean? - Skip the answer by booking now! - COMMITED?
10. Squad51 - Leaving the set of EMERGENCY to make an appearance! - COMMITED!
11. Niehart - Didja see the effin pies they make at the restaurant??? - COMMITED!
12. EscapeFJRrtist - Hop skip and a jump for you, just don't jump on the wrong side of the fence! - COMMITED!
13. Robert - I don't thinkg we met but we will be stocked to make the acquaintance! - COMMITED!
14. Oface - JSNS - COMMITED!
15. wjbertrand - Yup he's gonna make a stand! - COMMITED!
16. Harper - No Valley PTA but I got dinner and reuben fixed! Whatcha got?? Book it now sir!- COMMITED!
17. BigJohnSD - Wouldn't have been the same without ya! - COMMITED!
18. Sacramento Mike - Here he comes straight from the State Capitol! - COMMITED!
19. WingShot - Coming to the party! - COMMITED!
20. Dale_I - COMMITED!
21. Archer - COMMITED!
22. n2osx +1 - COMMITED!
23. saread +1 - Glad you read this thread and will be there! - COMMITED!
24. JREW - COMMITED!
25. NorCalFJR - He made it work! -COMMITED!
26. Ignacio - Looking forward to meeting! - COMMITED!
27. Hair - Coming to the party! - COMMITED!
28. Jeff B. - Riding with Hair - COMMITED!
29. Brodie - Dragging Robert along! - COMMITED!

Last edited:
JP you called me out but I'm not really feeling the guilt or the shame yet. See if you can get Mel to do this part for you, you're too weak. Oh, I'll book alright but you'll have to work harder than that to make me feel like a worm. I'll also have to get my Ohlins shock back and installed...it's been off since mid December.

The chow appeal, however, is a terribly strong motivator.

JP you called me out but I'm not really feeling the guilt or the shame yet. See if you can get Mel to do this part for you, you're too weak. Oh, I'll book alright but you'll have to work harder than that to make me feel like a worm. I'll also have to get my Ohlins shock back and installed...it's been off since mid December.

The chow appeal, however, is a terribly strong motivator.
Harper,

Not sure if it was the transmission or the reception however I read in the news this morning about some monstrous solar flares. Perhaps the transmission was corrupt as it was an attempt at humor and with no intention of making anyone feel subterranean. Rather a call to arms so that we may all gather as friends.

I am weak! Apparently much weaker than the Jack Pine someone planted in my line at 7200' on a 40+° sidehill Friday! Although I ruptured my MCL I was too weak to stand up and say I gotta go and finished out the day. Too weak to say no when my buddy said dude we gotta go hit "the secret spot" on Sunday and I went. Perhaps if I would have had the results of the MRI and not just a bowling ball for a knee I could have shaken the weakness... woulda, coulda, shoulda.

All this to say I have had a lot of time on the couch this week hence my long winded apparently not so encouraging post.

I look forward to you getting that shock rebuilt and seeing you in September friend.

p.s Mel just got home and said to say hi!

JP

Last edited:
Was out that way last summer. Stayed in Lewiston, Idaho. While at the hotel guys were in the parking lot kicking tires and asked me where I was headed. I guess down to Walla Walla and then over to Boise. Ever been to Hell's Canyon? Never heard of it. So off I go toward Hell's Canyon and man what a ride. Smokey as hell and couldn't see much of it but talk about twistie roads. Was on the road for 9 hours and had gone about 250 miles. The road along the river (Snake?) toward Boise was as crooked as Hell's Canyon road. Got some wear on the edge of the tires for once. Looks like Baker City is in that general area?

Probably some great roads and obviously some folks who know them well.
Last gathering I made was Toas. That's been awhile.

Was out that way last summer. Stayed in Lewiston, Idaho. While at the hotel guys were in the parking lot kicking tires and asked me where I was headed. I guess down to Walla Walla and then over to Boise. Ever been to Hell's Canyon? Never heard of it. So off I go toward Hell's Canyon and man what a ride. Smokey as hell and couldn't see much of it but talk about twistie roads. Was on the road for 9 hours and had gone about 250 miles. The road along the river (Snake?) toward Boise was as crooked as Hell's Canyon road. Got some wear on the edge of the tires for once. Looks like Baker City is in that general area?

If you did not make the "Spiral Highway" out of Lewiston it is a bucket list ride albeit short... make sure to read the sign at the top.

Yes the Snake River/Hells Canyon is nearby and we will find lotsa twisties sure to remove any nibs on your tires!

Look forward to making your acquaintance!

JP and Mel

I did the run up to Hells Canyon visitor center as part of a SS1000 last September. Oh, and it was in the rain. But you're right, the road and views are awesome.

It's a long day for me. Just getting to LaPine from Sac is a long day for me, and I see Baker is a couple hundred more, so it's iffy. Still, with only 3 of your list "commited" so far, I guess I can join the uncommitted majority and see what I can do as it gets closer. Fun area and nice hotel rates are a big plus. And of course all you yahoos. Thanks for setting it all up, JP and Mel. If I ever make a decision, I'll post it up.

Well, well, well, this initial outpouring of support for this event is warming the cockles of our hearts! Let's keep this momentum going folks!

There are the committeds and then there are the fencesitters. I am offering at N/C conversion therapy for this affliction. Here we go;
The commiteds are pillars, they love the smell of leather and ballistic fibers, respect of the flag and nation is at the forefront , others look upon them with admiration, jealous of their youthful exuberance and constant smile. The commiteds were not born with these sought after traits, no, no, no. Miles of saddle time AND attendance at great rallies ingrained these features into the core of the very fibers they are made of. We all strive to be a commited!
Fencesitters on the other hand fear commitment, it could have been that GF or BF in the 9th grade that announced they were dumping them via sign language by kissing your best friend in front of you. Lack of commitment is not a crime, rather it is a show of hope! Straddling that fence with one foot in a bucket of cold water while the other is in a hot tub full of bikini clad women (or speedo'd men - ew) Whatever it is that led you to the pickets rejoice as their is still hope! You wanna walk with your head held high? You want that chiseled square chin? You wanna drag that knee? You wanna pop that champagne and spray it all over the first place loser in the game of life then make the change and make it now - be Commited!
…and then… there are the quiet ones...

The ones that don’t hold their head up high, but don’t look down often. They’ll stare you square in the eye, and can sense a poser by the way he breathes. The quiet ones don’t play into the hype or drama of announcing their arrival… and don’t succumb to the peer pressure of “living up to” the square-jawed challenge. They simply do the do, and watch the rest unfold as it may.

Yaa… we like the smell of leather, but wet leather after a long ride. And the smell of ballistic fiber never smells sweeter than when it is bug encrusted. Don’t need no cockle warming either… keep them cockles to yourself!

No youthful exuberance here… only grumpy old farts. We’re past prime and found out that motorcycles are more fun than relationships that don’t understand motorcycles. Keep the champagne… a cold beer or a shot of fine single malt is preferred.

See you there… or not… I’ll enjoy the ride all the same.

(poop, I better show up after that!!!)

Mark me down for a table for one. I’m trying to get a downstairs single at “The Trail” to save my knees. Girl manning the counter tonight doesn’t know about the group events. Have to call back tomorrow. I haven’t been in that area before and keep hearing how wonderful it is. Looking forward to it!

Let me know how to pay for t-shirt, dinner, patch, and memorial tattoo...