Thermostat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhem454

Reaction score
I have spent the last 2hrs trying to find a part # for a thermostat for my 2012. Anyone have an idea why I can't find it?

In the past, on a different scooter with a similar thermostat, maybe even the same thermostat, I have taken the old thermostat to the local auto supply and found a replacement with the same dimensions and temperature rating for half, or less, the cost of the OEM thermostat. May have to buy the sealing gasket separately. Would do it again if I needed one. No waiting for delivery, or backorder, and no shipping fees.

dan

YMMV, No Lifeguard on Duty, Contents May Settle.............................

What’s the non-oem part # ?

You talking to me??

I have not had to replace a FJR thermostat in the last 18 years, so I haven't looked for a non-OEM one. But I'm sure there is one if needed, it would just take a little comparison-shopping time at the local auto supply. It only needs to be the right diameter, height, and temperature range. Probably 180 or 190 degrees. Yamaha doesn't make thermostats, so I'm sure that it's an off the shelf model that fits about 999 other vehicles.
The old thermostat may have a number on it that could be cross referenced on the intergoogle without leaving the house.

dan

What’s the non-oem part # ?
It is only a $26 part. Why mess with something that might work to save ten bucks?

Of course, if you can be 100% sure based on a manufacturer's stamped part number then why not? Especially if Yamaha stuff is back ordered. Note: Yamaha uses that part on a BUNCH of their products.

It is only a $26 part. Why mess with something that might work to save ten bucks?

Of course, if you can be 100% sure based on a manufacturer's stamped part number then why not? Especially if Yamaha stuff is back ordered. Note: Yamaha uses that part on a BUNCH of their products.

First, I like to spend my money closer to home to support my local businesses.
Second, I don't like to support a business that charges me twice what something is worth.
There are multiple manufacturers for thermostats so it's not necessary to be 100% sure of the part number, only the function. Hardly anything in life is 100% sure, even OEM parts.
For those who must have the OEM part, usually supplied by the low bidder; sure, knock yourself out. Your money, your choice. It's only a $26 part, plus shipping, plus delay.

dan

First, I like to spend my money closer to home to support my local businesses.
Second, I don't like to support a business that charges me twice what something is worth.
I have no problem with that. Personally, I would probably go with OEM (in this instance) to be sure its what I need given the PITA to change it out. All things being equal, I'll buy local too - especially with shipping charges that may be half the cost of the item.