They're still making PR2's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
I just did a whole pile of tire changes for my club, and among them a PR2 (he likes it better for the front than the squirmy PR3/PR4).

The PR4's had date: 4913, 0314, 0814

The PR2 was 5213 (i.e. last day of 2013).

So they're still making the PR2's ... but for how long?
unknw.gif

I just got a set of PR2's from Jake Wilson...rear date code is 0514, front date code is 0114

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the answer "but for how long" Aasland, but I'm just stoked I can still get them here in Arizona. I hated the PR3's I put on both my FJR and my BMW K1600GT.

But when I returned from the Austin Moto GP I was pleasantly surprised to find Victory BMW could mount PR2's on my Beemer and I've a set of PR2's reserved for my FJR at RideNow Yamaha in Chandler, AZ: To be installed first week in July, just before Miss Donna and I ride up to Sparks, Nevada for the Western FJR Riders Rendezvous!

I just did a whole pile of tire changes for my club, and among them a PR2 (he likes it better for the front than the squirmy PR3/PR4).
The PR4's had date: 4913, 0314, 0814

The PR2 was 5213 (i.e. last day of 2013).

So they're still making the PR2's ... but for how long?
unknw.gif
I was told they discontinued the PR2s, I hope Michelin will see the continuing demand and reconsider. PR3/PR4 are crap by comparison to the PR2. The last two sets of PR2s I bought were made around mid 2013, so there's still some hope.

It's funny that this topic has come up....I was just ordering tires the other day and saw that PR 2's are still available so I just bought some PR 2's. They are being delivered today.

It's funny that this topic has come up....I was just ordering tires the other day and saw that PR 2's are still available so I just bought some PR 2's. They are being delivered today.
The set that I got from Jake Wilson are definitely NOT old stock.

I must be the only person who doesn't like PR2s.

I can understand how flat-landers appreciate their

long life, but here in the east I could't get them to

hold a line in tight, bumpy corners.

I must be the only person who doesn't like PR2s.I can understand how flat-landers appreciate their

I never had a problem with them in the twisties...but I think the T-30 GT's were a little more fun than the PR2's. But 3,000 miles from the T-30's vs. 10,000-13,000 from the PR2's...well that's just a no brainer.

My first 1000 mile impression of my new PR4's is a medium sized: Me No Likey! Compared to the last 4 sets of PR2's. I'm noticing an uncomfortable amount of "Squirreliness" (Is that even a word?) Anything on the road like, tar snakes, gouges or grooves or any unevenness of any kind makes the bike get all jittery and shit!

I hope this goes away with time but, as of right now, I sure do miss the PR2's. I went with the 4's because of the expiration dates. But, Sheeeeze....

I must be the only person who doesn't like PR2s.I can understand how flat-landers appreciate their

I've shredded many a sets of PR2s in the twisties in GA/NC, and never had a problem. I've been back here in Japan now for about 3.5 years, and in most of Japan you have to work real hard to find straight roads so my PR2s here get more than their fair share of all sorts of twisties, and from all the Sport Touring tires I'm yet to find some that can match the performance and longevity of the PR2s. They also behave well right to the end, where most other brands quickly and badly deteriorate in the last 1/3 of the tire life.

You're not alone brother!

PR2s may last 10k and beyond, but who cares? I couldn't stand them the last 5k and took them off before I hit the wear bars.

I don't know about the front PR2. I only got the rear PR2. On the front I like the Pirelli Angel GT.

My first 1000 mile impression of my new PR4's is a medium sized: Me No Likey! Compared to the last 4 sets of PR2's. I'm noticing an uncomfortable amount of "Squirreliness" (Is that even a word?) Anything on the road like, tar snakes, gouges or grooves or any unevenness of any kind makes the bike get all jittery and shit!
I hope this goes away with time but, as of right now, I sure do miss the PR2's. I went with the 4's because of the expiration dates. But, Sheeeeze....
+1, Gunny; Victor what you stated about the PR4's is what I felt about PR3's, I already have them off of the K1600GT and next month they'll be off of the FJR!

My first 1000 mile impression of my new PR4's is a medium sized: Me No Likey! Compared to the last 4 sets of PR2's. I'm noticing an uncomfortable amount of "Squirreliness" (Is that even a word?) Anything on the road like, tar snakes, gouges or grooves or any unevenness of any kind makes the bike get all jittery and shit!I hope this goes away with time but, as of right now, I sure do miss the PR2's. I went with the 4's because of the expiration dates. But, Sheeeeze....
+1, Gunny; Victor what you stated about the PR4's is what I felt about PR3's, I already have them off of the K1600GT and next month they'll be off of the FJR!
Yep! The PR2's were phenomenal under any conditions and I averaged anywhere from 12 to 14K miles on them. The 4's, not so much. If this doesn't go away, I'll have to get the number of your source. :)

I've been running PR2s exclusively for the last 3 years. I switched from the Dunlop q2 which were lasting only 3000 miles on my 600 (fz6). I don't commute on my bike (work is only 2 miles away) so 100% of the riding is sport riding. I ride like to go fast in the canyons and when I switched to the pr2 I felt like they had 90% of the confidence of the Q2s but lasted twice as long.

A set of pr2 will last only 3000 miles on the fjr. I might get 4000 out of them on my fz1. I would get 6000+ on my fz6.

Anyhow, I haven't gone to the pr3 or pr4s for the squiggly front tire mentioned in earlier post. I hope they continue to make the pr2s.

Must be the luck of the draw for the pr2 dates. My last set, at bargain-basement prices, were/are hard as Metzler 990's. But for the price point, and given no rain where I live, I'm very happy. My last set was just under 240 for both, delivered to the door.

I bought two sets of PR3s when they first came out. They both had the tendency to follow imperfections in the road. The first set was much worse than the second, so it was not consistent.

My son-in-law recently mounted a set of PR4s on his Honda and commented that the front tracks the same as the PR3s did.