Thinking of buying a Fluke automotive ScopeMeter... Thoughts, Ideas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lotta cash for a diagnostic tool that might not provide you with any answers.  (Unless it is something that you think you might use on a semi-regular basis for other purposes.)

Can't see why 100 MHz wouldn't be more than sufficient but suggest you discuss that with someone like ionbeam who can probably provide a more informed opinion.  Did you have a look at 1911's recent post on your thread?

How much do you think KrZy8 is worth these days?

If you have the money and want something new to play with, then go for it.

I’ve got something similar (also Fluke) that was “acquired” from work when they were getting rid of them.  Honestly, I don’t find all that much use for it, and certainly not worth that price, IMO.  There just aren’t that many times that you need a scope for troubleshooting vehicles.  A good multimeter seems to do the job most of the time.  And when you do need a scope I’d prefer a real one, not an lcd.  

I tend to agree with RossKean, and think that you Mr. Carver, must have deeper pockets for these awesome devices than I. 😲

As Fred opined, if it were me, I'd probably just fall back on my modest (<$100) multimeter + my 35 year old analog (non storage!) Chinese scope.

Good luck in your quest...

When given the option, I'd have picked Fluke over any other. I was at a trade show and stopped at the Fluke booth while the rep was chatting up some lookie-loos. When he was done, but before they walked away, he turned, greeted me, and I told him out shop motto, "If it works, it's a Fluke."  I don't think he smiled as much as I expected him to.

As for fitness for purpose for this specific meter, that's something I can't address.

Seems ALOT excessive to me.  I've been an aircraft electrician for over 20 years and used an o-scope just a handful of times (though MUCH better than the one you've listed)  Can't think in my head for a use for that type on a bike.  A good meter (Fluke's are nice) with basic functions is more than adequate for bikes. 

Not going to comment on the need for a scope although I agree with the earlier comments.

However I did have a new Fluke Scopemeter about 18 years ago for work and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I had a lot of difficulty with it syncing properly and it had layers of menus which were tedious to use. I replaced it with a digital Techtronics scope which was more traditional in its operation and have been happy with it for these past 15-16 years. I work on medical xray machines and Linear Accelerators and even here we use scopes a lot less than 'back in the day'.

Don, been looking at scopes myself, for my kid. @audiowizeis the guy to ask - he’s an electronics guru who helped chase down some electrical gremlins in my Husky (pinched wire) and just restored my gramps tube tester and diagnosed a faulty subwoofer. He recommended the much less expensive (like $350) Siglent scope as something that is 2ch 200mhz. Not sure what it would do for you that a Fluke 87v wouldn’t do, but Paul can opine. BTW, he’s wicked talented vacuum tube amp designer with seriously mad skilz.

But for me, a cheap scope keeps my kid occupied at night learning cool new things instead of drinking, carousing, and making me an early grandpa. I’m amazed what he’s taught himself about electronics without a single class. So don’t tell him but he’s getting a scope for his birthday.

I have two Fluke meters for HVAC work and can vouch for the brand. Excellent. I've dropped them and baptized them. Though, years ago one proved it could not endure being run over by my truck.