Thinking of buying an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of my foam was sticking out anywhere, it was all neat and tidy.

If you have the money to buy a GT, thats what I would buy, especially if you don't like the looks of the FJR, although I'm not sure what about the looks you don't like. The GT does give you some nice factory options and lets face it, you can get a lemon with anything you buy, so you take your chances when buying anything. If you're looking for value, then the FJR is your choice.

>>See this thread for what's correct and what's not. So maybe something isn't quite right with the one you're looking at. Hope this helps!<<

Yes, that helps some... thanks. I still cannot believe that the foam under the engine near the oil filter is a factory fix.... nor can I believe the foam I saw inside the right hand fairing vent is a major manufacturer's best effort. I will have to check this out further when I go-- checkbook in hand-- to either buy or pass on the FJR available to me (tomorrow).

>>None of my foam was sticking out anywhere, it was all neat and tidy. <<

That's what I'm hoping... a simple adjustment and all is well.

>>you can get a lemon with anything you buy<<

Yes, except I've never seen any other brand broken in half, leaning against the guiderail like the pic of a BMW that circulated the web last year. (I'd repost the pic, but don't know how.)

And, I've seen WAY too many "my new bike is broken down" threads as on BMW sites. I don't want to knock BMWs but I think the FJR has a better reliability record... *maybe*. Most of the problems I see here are owner-induced.... correct me if wrong. Shrug.

I guess it's the busy-ness of the FJR's styling that bothers me... lots of small shapes... the BMW has fewer shapes.

The BMW is not currently available for me to buy... OTOH, I've not mounted a full scale search, either.

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I heard it was "sticks out like a turd in a bowl of milk".

The way I heard it was "sticks out like a turd in a bowl of milk".

I went to look at an '06 that is available to me last night and have to make up my mind by tomorrow whether I want it or not... so, today, if possible, I'll be looking at an '06 ('07?) BW K12GT.
The FJR fit me and my passenger well, and I *thought* that was the only issue we had to resolve before writing the check... but there's another issue for me. The FJR's styling is injurious to human sensibilities. My overall impression was that the FJR is as effective as Tupperware, with all the same utility and twice the excitement. That's been my impression since seeing my first FJR at the Cycle World show when they initially came out.

So... I'm still deliberating. I dislike the work connected with buying stuff... and only want to buy once. I keep things a long time, but suppose that if I buy the FJR and the looks don't grow on me I can sell it off next year.

BMW... nice, but with questionable reliability of recent years.
Just to make sure I'm understanding you - you prefer this:

K12S115L.jpg

-to-

06FJR1300A_blue_1sized.jpg

????

Just to make sure I'm understanding you - you prefer this...
Different strokes for different folks, but the K bike looks like an updated appliance from the 50's, and I've loved the FJR look from the first time I saw a picture of an '05... I mean come on... that brown bike looks like the Crapman's Turdmobile... :D

Just to make sure I'm understanding you - you prefer this...
Different strokes for different folks, but the K bike looks like an updated appliance from the 50's, and I've loved the FJR look from the first time I saw a picture of an '05...
Understood - no problem there. I actually liked the looks of the 03.5 - 06 K12GT. I almost bought an 05, even. When I saw the 07 K12GT for the first time I was really concerned that I must have suddenly lost all sense for aesthetics, cuz I'm struggling to like it. A quick inspection of my attire for white shoes, white belt, Bermuda pants over my belly button and *huge* sunglasses turned up empty. So I'm thinking it's not me.

Chris,

I just picked up an 06 last week and I have to say I am impressed. I can't speak to earlier years but this bike is very good. The level of vibration is very low and not an issue at all. It does run a bit lean at low RPM's but there is a half hour fix which I just completed and that problem is solved. The bike handles very well but I would still prefer a little less weight. The bike offers very good protection and is a very comfortable ride. I set the seat on the higher position and the bike fits me great. I am 6'3"

I think the changes they made on the 06 is worth a couple of grand.

FJR more comfortable for tall riders (like me at 5'18") than BMW. Just hope you like the whistle, because as I have discovered, it gets worse the higher you hold your head sits above the windshield. That and a little heat on the left ankle are the only complaints I have, but maybe I should just pull that piece of foam out & see what happens...

FJR more comfortable for tall riders (like me at 5'18") than BMW. Just hope you like the whistle, because as I have discovered, it gets worse the higher you hold your head sits above the windshield.

+1+1 I myself am also 4'30".... The CB +6+4 windshield has really helped out with the wind noise. :clapping:

Ari, thanks for the side by side. While the bikes are different, it's really six one way, half a dozen the other. I have to go back, get that FJR out into the sun and look again. It's very likely a taste that can be acquired... even for me. ;) FWIW, I will *never* understand matte finish paints on motorcycles... even though the BMW isn't a true matte.

Thanks all for helping.

FWIW, I recently called a local BMW dealer inquiring on a price for a Garmin and when the subject got to "What kind of bike do you have on order?" I said the FJR1300, and his reply was that he just bought a used one that came through the dealership and he LOVES it. Talked for an hour - nice guy. Guess it was a little slow on the showroom floor. :)

I took a very short ride on the FJR available to me and have promised to let the dealer know by noon today. I kept looking for sixth gear, but I think I can get over that... would certainly have to unhook one of the throttle springs.

But here's the kicker: wifey doesn't like it. Grrrr... If she isn't going to ride on it anyway, I could expand my search to a lot of other bikes... If she's going to be unhappy when she rides along, I'd rather leave her home... marriage would last a bit longer that way.

What doesn't she like? She says she feels vibration in the footpegs (cue the straining violins), she can't see forward over my head (and therefore cannot act as my radar advance waring system-- she saved me from 3 tickets Memorial Day week end, cue the trumpets), last but not least... the seat isn't quite right (send the seat to Sargent).

All this objection raised and I'm even planning to keep the bike she loves... but that bike is getting to higher mileage, repairs are eating into my riding time, it desperately needs some downtime to address some maintenance / repair issues. Buying the FJR would be an immediate answer... but disapproving silence from the other half is causing me grief. Sheesh.

EDIT: An amicable resolution has been reached... you guys are going to have to put up with having me around here.