Throttle Position Sensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Recently brought my bike in for tire change. They said i did not have the trunk or Throttle Position Sensor recall done on the bike.

I realize Yamaha is going to pay for this fix, and the shop was very eager to have it done.

Firstly i do not have any issues with idling, and i also am not sold on why i need to have the trunk case reinforced?

Do I have any bargaining power, (ie. i will let you fix this if i get discount on parts, ect.) or am i being too much of a capatilistic bunghole?

Treat a recall item as a bargaining chip? :blink:

YES, you're being an opportunist with that approach. Get the recall done or don't, but don't try and negotiate free shit as an alternative.

The dealer doesn't really have any room for bargaining like you suggest. They have to actually perform the work in order to get reimbursed by Yamaha.

Gracias.... Oh well, thought maybe i could. It is only out of necesity I need to stretch my dimes, I think I may be the poorest fjr owner ever. But thank God the day has come when a have not could afford an FJR, riding her surely makes my day much fuller.

It is only out of necesity I need to stretch my dimes....
<soapbox>

Let me suggest that you don't make that necessity come at the expense of risking a relationship and understanding this community and others have built time. One of the reasons this bike is as good as it is....is because Yamaha does listen and fix things this particular community suggests. Examples include the fact Gen 2's don't tick and voluntarily recalled wiring harnesses instead of fighting with Yamaha.

It takes just one story of a person trying to horse-trade a recall item to possibly sour that.

I strongly suggest that you use this forum as opportunity to save money on other non-recall related opportunities. And they ARE extensive.

I'm just sayin' you would likely find your experience here more positive that route.

</soap box>

It is only out of necesity I need to stretch my dimes....
<soapbox>

Let me suggest that you don't make that necessity come at the expense of risking a relationship and understanding this community and others have built time. One of the reasons this bike is as good as it is....is because Yamaha does listen and fix things this particular community suggests. Examples include the fact Gen 2's don't tick and voluntarily recalled wiring harnesses instead of fighting with Yamaha.

It takes just one story of a person trying to horse-trade a recall item to possibly sour that.

I strongly suggest that you use this forum as opportunity to save money on other non-recall related opportunities. And they ARE extensive.

I'm just sayin' you would likely find your experience here more positive that route.

</soap box>
lol... Surely u are not accusing me of possibly tainting a relationship with yamaha. Firstly I posted my question to get a general feel for what would be appropriate. I'm sure in your life you've had a clear concise idea of what right and wrong is.

lol... Surely u are not accusing me of possibly tainting a relationship with yamaha.
No, I'm not at all.

In fact, I very much believe you did post the question and came to the same wise conclusion..

I added the note as a follow-up to how I was concerned and glad it didn't go that way. Everything's cool. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that confuses me abit is that the dealer is "anxious" to do recall work. I hope that is because they are anxious to please you and not because they are hard up for work. Because if it is the latter, I would be a bit concerned about the quality of their work. Shops do not make money on recall work. They do get the parts for free and get reimbursed at a crappy rate (significantly less than their going labor rate) for the time by the manufacturer. But a decent shop should be busy enough that they can make more money doing billed service.

I would get the recall done, why wait till your miles from home on a trip to find out you do have a problem, it will cost you more money and time out of your trip to take care of something you could have prevented.

I just became aware of this recall for the 2005 year. I contacted Yamaha Customer Service and, although the manufacturing date of my MC fell within the dates effected, they informed me that since nothing showed up on the computer against my Vin #, YCS must "ASSUME" my bike in not included in the recall. YCS was very vague as to whom and what determined mine was not effected. When asked, they said they could not elevate the question within Yamaha to figure that out. At my insistence, they agreed to send me a letter to this effect in about 4-5 weeks, since it is a safety issue. Does this sound right and should I just go with the phrase "Trust Me" from Yamaha? I just feel like I am dealing with a secretary and not the technical person, whom I should be talking with. It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, especially when I am riding and the recall finally shows up on the computer screen against my Vin #.

One thing that confuses me abit is that the dealer is "anxious" to do recall work. I hope that is because they are anxious to please you and not because they are hard up for work.
odd list of options. i would think it's because they are concerned about the safety of the rider in the event either one of these things fails and causes either a handling issue (the rider if the tps failes) or loss of the trunk in traffic issue (safety to other vehicles).

Does this sound right and should I just go with the phrase "Trust Me" from Yamaha?
Why not look at the affected VIN's yourself? We have them in our main & pinned thread on the issue FJRF006: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Recall that's based off NHTSA documentation.
Thanks for the quick reply and reference. Fortunately, my VIN is not among the ones listed as being effected. I feel much better seeing the ones that were effected. At least there is some checks and balances re. this recall. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply and reference. Fortunately, my VIN is not among the ones listed as being effected. I feel much better seeing the ones that were effected. At least there is some checks and balances re. this recall. I appreciate it.
And I'm on the other end. Mine is on the list, but I haven't had it replaced. The bike has been so butter smooth for 110K I just haven't seen the need to have somebody mess with it.

And I'm on the other end. Mine is on the list, but I haven't had it replaced. The bike has been so butter smooth for 110K I just haven't seen the need to have somebody mess with it.
Mine is still under 10K, so based on yours, it should hold up for a while longer. This forum provides a lot of good information from guys like you. I feel like I am not alone having an FJR, although the bike seems quite rare on the road. Great all around bike.

Mine is on the list, but I haven't had it replaced. The bike has been so butter smooth for 110K I just haven't seen the need to have somebody mess with it.
Outstanding!

Mine only lasted 90k before problems arose and I had it replaced under the recall. On FJR#2, I just replaced it a month or so ago - at 21k. And in the process I found out FJR#2 is a 'Hawaii' FJR which caused all kinds of 'issues'. Still, with Gary McCoy's assistance I was able to get a free one sent to me.

WTF? Hawaii? What are you talkin aboot there ya sand pounder?
:jester:
I'm curious too. I've got multiple pet theories to entertain myself:

• It's a pun. The bike has been "lei"d down multiple times by the previous owner and he's just finding now the frame is tweaked.
  • He actually bought a bike from Hawaii...and it's detuned worse than the French ones
  • California bikes have a charcoal canister...Hawaii bikes have a conch shell instead of ABS.
Any chance the actual answer is far less entertaining?

WTF? Hawaii? What are you talkin aboot there ya sand pounder?
I'm curious too. I've got multiple pet theories to entertain myself:

The bike has been "lei"d down multiple times by the previous owner and he's just finding now the frame is tweaked.

Any chance the actual answer is far less entertaining?

Highly unlikely.. :lol: I think the Lei covered it rather well ;)