Ticker Video

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valetz

Reaction score
Warning 3.7 MB

BL IIII Ticking Video

Note:

Piaa 910, w/ the igniter visible (ohhh ahhhh)

John Pedrow doing checkin (I was kinda helping)

Arlene Liska running over to talk to Brent Jass in Backgound.

Oh yeah, I think this bike has had the head replaced once already. :angry2:

You see boot towards the end, as I moved the camera in to get the mic closer to the engine

Camera: Canon S400

-bvw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree that "anyone with a ticker will KNOW." This one is loud, unmistakable. And I know the story of pulling up next to a bike on the street with your earplugs in and still hearing it. But you can have a ticker without it being this obvious. When you do, you're still down on power, and it's still leaking oil into your exhuast system, ruining your cat and fouling your mufflers.

Was it that loud on the right side of the bike too? Or is the sound comming mostly from the left side?

My understanding was that the blow by didn't happen until the latest stages (where the volume increased too).
You mean it's gonna get worse! :dribble:

There was about 10K on the oil at the time the video was taken. It didn't use a drop.

I stopped to get an oil change in Des Moines on the way home and it seem's that the bike had developed an exhaust leak. I couldn't pinpoint the leak but I'm pretty sure that was making it sound worse than it is.

How's the saying go? Ride it like you stole it? Poor thing ;)

My understanding was that the blow by didn't happen until the latest stages (where the volume increased too).
You mean it's gonna get worse! :dribble:

There was about 10K on the oil at the time the video was taken. It didn't use a drop.

I stopped to get an oil change in Des Moines on the way home and it seem's that the bike had developed an exhaust leak. I couldn't pinpoint the leak but I'm pretty sure that was making it sound worse than it is.

How's the saying go? Ride it like you stole it? Poor thing ;)
When Ric-in-Sac's bike went in for repair, one of the diagnoses was it was maybe an exhaust leak, but no, it was bad valve guides making the racket. I'm sure yours is the same . :(

<snip>

<snip>
Damn... Ever think about changing it? :blink:

What do you use and what interval have you been changing it?

His oil must have been pretty new before the rally start !

The Rally was 7k miles, his ride home was close to 2k mile !

"Exhaust leak" is what every uninformed Yamaha dealer says when they first hear that noise. AND, IIRC, fjrvtx1300s reported oil usage waaaay into his tick-saga. I seem to remember someone reporting oil film out the back of their exhaust. Thankfully, now that FJR owners on the websites are educated in the matter, most are getting the repair done before the damage gets that far.

[SIZE=8pt] Hmmmm, 8 to go...[/SIZE]