ticker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owenup

Reaction score
Hi

I have been a member for a little while. Interesting stuff you folks have. I will tell my story and see what you think.I have had my FJR 3 years got it new in 2003. 12,000 km (7,500 miles) it started to tick a little brought it to the local Yamaha shop they said it is normal we have R1s that are way noisey than that. Fortunatley the shop has a really good crew chief and he listened and got the bike in to get fixed (on Yamaha's dime) while the heads were off I got the pipes ceramic coated got the power commander and a port an polish on the heads done. Took them 6 mos but I got the bike back and it is a rocket now 4,000 km(2,500 miles) later the tick is comming back only hear it when the engine is warm really prominent at around 3000 rpm. Kinda at a loss tempted to leave it in a bad neighbourhood with the keys in the ignition. Yamaha said they put on the looser guide seals. I spend a lot of time in traffic just idling. just wondering what you people thought about that

Owen

just wondering what you people thought about that
I think it was damned hard to read without more punctuation and a few paragraphs tossed in for good measure. It reads like a 12 year old girl, hopped up on Mountain Dew.

Other than that, I'd take it back in to the dealer who did the work. They and Yamaha should honor it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha has reportedly been very good about repairing tickers - even repeat occurrences.

Leaving your bike to be 'lost' will likely cause a serious case of sticker shock when your insurance company offers you 25% of your cost and nothing for your farkles.

Get the bike fixed and try not to use a dealer that takes six months to do it.

You might also want to consider riding her more and idling her less. Does synthetic oil help with to prevent the problem?

I'm wondering if it is really "the tick" because when mine did it it was really down on power and not a rocket, which it is now.

2500 miles is short time for it to re-occur.

Why do you spend so much time idling in traffic?

Well, since you've had the bike a while you should be accustomed to the normal sounds of the engine so I won't go there.

Some folks have had noise coming from the right side which has turned out to be a worn timing chain tensioner.

You would not be the first to experience a repeat ticker. If that's what you have then Yamaha should take care of it for you.

You would not be the first to experience a repeat ticker.
No, he would not. Just ask Alan Pratt.... :(

However, to have it actually develop the Tick only 2500 miles since the last repair, *that* would be a new world record, no doubt about it.

Good luck, Owen, please keep us informed on how this sage works out for you....

I'm with Warchild on this one - I can't believe it would develop the tick in 2,500k but I would bring it back in and let them listen to it - PBraido

I'm with Warchild on this one - I can't believe it would develop the tick in 2,500k but I would bring it back in and let them listen to it - PBraido

Sorry about the lack of punctuation. Sometimes I get excited and it's hard to stop. Suffer from verbal diarea on occason to.The bike is going to my local dealer here this weekend. Hopefully he has something good so say.

The bike was a rocket when I got it back the first time with the head work done. Now it sorta stumbles a bit and I can't get the front wheel off the ground in secone gear. Which I could do before.

At the moment I am running synthetic amsoil 20/50

As far as idling in traffic my home to work trip is 2 bridges no sidwalks or even a shoulder to get by on. I do drag the pegs when I get closer to home but getting there is a little bit o sitting. I have taken it to the local track quit a few times now, so don't label me a podger just yet.

At the moment I am running synthetic amsoil 20/50
No wonder it's messed up.
wink.gif

I thought the same thing had happened to me also after my head replacement. However it turned out to be just an adjustment was needed.

Have your valve clerances checked.

I thought the same thing had happened to me also after my head replacement. However it turned out to be just an adjustment was needed.
Have your valve clerances checked.
Adjustment-schmustment. It was the damned kanuter valves!

Where, I say, where the heck have you been, boy?