TICKER?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg 03

Reaction score
Okay so I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but is there anyone out there who had one and got it fixed that I can call and talk to? I LOVE my FJR but I've dropped a lot of money already and need to know if I need to keep investing or cut my losses and move on.

The tick isn't likely to leave you stuck on the side of the road. You could just ride it till it quits and bury it on the spot.

The tick isn't likely to leave you stuck on the side of the road. You could just ride it till it quits and bury it on the spot.
I know of at least one 03 that has ticked for over a 100,000 miles. Mine ticked, got Yamaha to pay for parts, I had to cover labour and machining - and it was WAY out of warranty (that was about 4 years ago though).

I know of at least one 03 that has ticked for over a 100,000 miles. Mine ticked, got Yamaha to pay for parts, I had to cover labour and machining - and it was WAY out of warranty (that was about 4 years ago though).
Thanks! Guess I'll just invest in earbuds!

I purchased a used 04 in 2005 with 8300 miles on it. This was just when the ticker issues were starting to show up (2005). I immediately suspected I had a ticker. The noise is pretty distinct and usually can be heard from the left side of the motor (ruling out cam chain noise which would be on the right side).

The bike seemed to run fine but there was a little "drool stain" of oil at the rear of the muffler coming out a weep hole if I remember correctly. The bike did not smoke at all. Again, the noise was quite distinctive.

One of the least invasive ways to CONFIRM the tick is to remove the exhaust header and inspect for oil blow-by thorough the exhaust port. I would guess labor for this inspection would be under 2 hours.

It might give you the piece of mind you are looking for.

OR

Just ride it and see if it gets worse and starts using oil.

I don't know how Yamaha handles the ticker issues at this point on a 10 year old bike but I'm guessing they would help with the parts.

Good luck.

Bill

Okay so I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but is there anyone out there who had one and got it fixed that I can call and talk to? I LOVE my FJR but I've dropped a lot of money already and need to know if I need to keep investing or cut my losses and move on.
Greg,

I'd still want to hear what Yamaha corporate (not a local dealer) has to say now, before I bit the bullet. When it comes time to repair, you might find a used head, or used engine, for less than the repair costs would be. Start the search early, and you may do very well. A totaled bike may go for a song, and will come with enough excess parts (to be sold on eBay) that the donor bike may cost you very little in the end.

Cheers,

Infrared

That's why I LOVE this forum... Brilliant basterds with fantastic advice! I'm also on the Stromtrooper forum and to be honest there's some real pricks on there. Really do appreciate y'all, just sayin...