Ticker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

none

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a ticker starting with as low as 1800 miles. I have a 2004 that has light ticking noise after good and hot? Started at about 1800 miles. Thanks

There's ticking that's head design and not an issue and "the tick". With low miles I would tend to think the first without knowing more.

Amongst the various recommendations when you signed up was this ticking thread you should first review regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have read every tick/ticker in this and any other forum on the net and I am convinced that I have a ticker. I love the bike but now I am obsessed with this ticking sound. Its almost quiet at startup but starts ticking shortly after. I first thought it was exhaust tic or possibly injectors but I don't think so anymore. Tried different oil/fuel etc...but the tic is still there after hot. Can here it around 3000 rpms with sheild in up position and at idle. Seems odd that 400 miles after buying the bike off a private owner I start hearing tics. Is there anything he could have possibly done to hide the tic for a short time? I don't see how.

Not likely or necessary since Yamaha has been repairing them. It would be really odd that it would start @ 18 hundred miles. I would understand 18 thousand miles, but anything is possible. Find a Yamaha dealer in your area who knows and understands the FJR. They can help navigate the Yamaha corporate maze and repair the bike.

Don't just rely on your dealer, call Yamaha customer support and discuss your concerns with them. Request that your issues be documented in their system. They will need your VIN#..

Go back to the dealer and let them know you have called Yamaha etc..

You have a lot more influence with Yamaha than the dealer does, after all it's not called customer support for nothing.

Once logged with Yamaha your dealer has more weight to make a warranty claim on Yamaha..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have read every tick/ticker in this and any other forum on the net and I am convinced that I have a ticker. I love the bike but now I am obsessed with this ticking sound. Its almost quiet at startup but starts ticking shortly after. I first thought it was exhaust tic or possibly injectors but I don't think so anymore. Tried different oil/fuel etc...but the tic is still there after hot. Can here it around 3000 rpms with sheild in up position and at idle. Seems odd that 400 miles after buying the bike off a private owner I start hearing tics. Is there anything he could have possibly done to hide the tic for a short time? I don't see how.

What? Too lazy to write anything new from October 9th? :lol:

I know it may be hard, but stop obsessing about it. Even if it is a ticker, it won't leave you stranded. Ride the crap out of it, and deal with it later if necessary.

No, I don't see how anyone could have temporarily masked 'the tick', and frankly, though possible, I doubt you would know yours is a ticker at only 1800 miles. That would be very unusual. Lots of these engines are noisy and DON'T have the tick. That would be my guess in your case.

I would be more worried about other problems with a bike that only had 1400 miles in 4 years. In my experience, bikes that sit develop problems.

Good luck and stop obsessing!!!

Skooter is giving you good advice. You also need to exclude timing chain noises (which will also vary with varying rpm's). A ticker, if truly a ticker, will progress over time and get worse. You need to ride and monitor any progression of ticking noises. In fact, that's probably what Yamaha and your local dealer are going to tell you; ride it and see if it gets any worse.

I know it may be hard, but stop obsessing about it. Even if it is a ticker, it won't leave you stranded. Ride the crap out of it, and deal with it later if necessary.Good luck and stop obsessing!!!
That's some good advice. There has been enough history that Yamaha will repair ticking FJRs. Skooter's right, a ticker will not suffer "sudden-catastrophic-engine-failure" (IOW, go BOOM and die) but will gradually become worse. Once it gets to the point that it is passing oil through the exhaust (multiple thousands of miles by reports read here over the years) it is easily diagnosed by any dealer and would be repaired by Yamaha.

Conclusion: Go ride and enjoy it. Others before you have ridden theirs w'o problem and then had it repaired.

Thanks for the input, the bike is incredible and runs and rides like a Ferrari. Just hope it doesn't tick me off. (no pun intended).

since the "ticking" is caused by erosion of the exhaust valve guides and that takes some mileage to occur, I seriously doubt you have a real ticker at 1800 miles. The motor just hasn't been run long enough yet.

When it does happen, there will be a decline in performance.

My repaired '05 ticker would not pull the front wheel up when gassed in either first or second gear when it was wounded. It also did not have "snap" when cracking the throttle at highway speeds.

No problem with either pulling the front wheel or snap now though. :eek:

Ride it like ya stole it! Thats what I'm doing.

Mines had some type of tick for 4k now, ain't any worse, ain't any better still runs damn fine.

:jester:

Latest posts