Ticking Sound Byte

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04 FJR Pilot

Reaction score
Finally got off my arse :bleh: and recorded the ticking to my laptop with a portable microphone. Volume on the recording is low to try and not oversaturate the recording. You will have to turn up your volume!! IF you have the ability take your bass volume down to eliminate the exhaust noise.Be warned if your FJR sounds like this then there is trouble in your future. I have 9100 miles on her now and the last 2000 miles has really brought the ticking out in her. It started out faint then as the miles roll on you get this and some smoke out the right side tail pipe. Mine as of now isn't blowing oil out the tailpipe like Warchilds was but probably will if she gets many more miles on her.

My ticker

My ticker

Last edited by a moderator:
It is unbelievable to me how such a distinct metallic tapping associated with the Ticking never seems to reproduced well when a normal audio recording is made. :angry:

Yet, these two sound clips are about the best I've heard of all the attempts to record this sound.

You must listen to the entire sound clip... 04 FJR Pilot let's it idle for the first half of each clip, then revs the motor a little the second half.

On the first file (Tick1), it is 1:06 seconds in duration, and the ticking sounds between 50 secs through 56 secs are really distinct.

But it is the second sound clip (Tick2) that is the best.... it is 53 seconds in duration, you can hear it pretty well the entire time. At ~ 30 seconds, as 04 FJR Pilot moves the microphone closer to cylinder #1, and the sound is UNMISTAKABLE! It is not as "metallic" sounding as it is in person, but there is no denying the ticking anomaly in this sound clip.

Outstanding work, 04 FJR Pilot!!

Thanks for the sound bite 04 FJR PILOT. I've ben wondering lately what a "ticker" sounds like. At least at 16k mine doesn't sound like yours (not yet anyway). Hope you get yours fixed soon.

Tom

I dare play this too loud right now near my bike, as is about to pass the point where it first started the ticking sound. I was just starting to forget about it, but that sound bite sure brings it all back for me. :erm:

Thank you very much 04 FJR Pilot!! Makes me feel a lot better. I am very sorry that this reassurance has come at your expense. Good luck!

OK, I'm apparently missing a codec or something cuz I can't play either one of these files. What format are they in? I have tried Windows Media Player, Real Player, and Quick TIme plug in and nothing is playing it.

OCK it is in MP3 format and plays within internet explorer. The dealer wants to do surgery in January since his business is slow that time of year, He can also pay attention to the details as he hasn't had to fix this issue before. I trust him he is an honest guy and a straight shooter. If I buy an '06 it will be from him. Thanks Larry at Yamaha of Elizabeth City!!! Plugging over!

Rick

It started out faint then as the miles roll on you get this and some smoke out the right side tail pipe. Mine as of now isn't blowing oil out the tailpipe like Warchilds was but probably will if she gets many more miles on her.

My ticker
How am I to broach the subject of Ticking with my dealer? Call up and say I've got a ticker, or ask them to listen to it out in the parking lot next time I ride over to get oil? OR...?

Yep, sounds just like mine. I can make mine much louder under load 2500-3500 rpm.

My plan is this.

Go to the dealer and have them listen.

Get them to agree it does not sound right.

Them tell them I do not want it back till it is right.

I'll pay if it is not warranty.

But, not if it is.

How am I to broach the subject of Ticking with my dealer? Call up and say I've got a ticker, or ask them to listen to it out in the parking lot next time I ride over to get oil? OR...?
Just ask them to listen to it and if they ask what they are listening for say, "valve train noise" If you walk in and say "I've got the tick" they will likley discount you as another internet fan boy who is caught up in the FJR tick fantasy and not show you any respect.

Just ask them to listen to it and if they ask what they are listening for say, "valve train noise" If you walk in and say "I've got the tick" they will likley discount you as another internet fan boy who is caught up in the FJR tick fantasy and not show you any respect.
Be very specific with your dealer. What you are hearing with the 2 audio clips should be described by your dealer to Yamaha as "engine knocking".

Cyprus Yamaha will respond to this and replace the exhaust valves, valve guides and seals and reimburse your dealer for the labor cost.

It sounds exactly as I expected it to, and exactly like Frank doesn't. Thank God. And thanks Pilot.

Wish I could hear it :eek:

" the data that the plugin requested, did not download successfully " ( numerous times :unsure: )

Sounds exactly like my old 40 chevy sounded when the tappets needed a bit of adjusting. Brings back memories of the 50's.

How am I to broach the subject of Ticking with my dealer?  Call up and say I've got a ticker, or ask them to listen to it out in the parking lot next time I ride over to get oil?  OR...?
I once posted a thread on the old EZBoard called "Yamaha's advice for ticker owners." I've updated it a little bit and made it available on the web: go to https://www.bestbits.org/fjr1300 to see it.

(I'm just starting to plot my web site. That link will be around more-or-less forever, but the content will change.)

I just hit 7800 miles and was wondering if I was going to get "'the tick""

Galxt5 does not have this sound ,, yet ,,

:headbonk: knocking on wood

thanks for the link

Can this thread be pinned? If you type tick into a search, it will still be hard to find.

If you type tick into a search, it will still be hard to find.
Hey, you're not on EZBoard anymore.... :lol:

I just now typed in the work "ticking" in the search keyword field, and this very thread was the #1 ranked ticking thread out of about about 20 hits.

Still, it's a good idea... pinned.