Time to Ride in California - Need Input

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnirtsnod

Reaction score
My son-in-law and I are flying into Las Vegas on May 4th for the last Supercross event of the season and plan to rent motorcycles for a short, three-day ride into California. After doing some research, it looks like Yosemite and Kings Canyon areas may not be open for the season until the end of May. If that's the case and given that we only have three days and an allotment of 900 miles, what are your recommendations on potential, noteworthy roads or sites to visit. All input is appreciated. ...Don

El Toro Joe has given you a good suggestion. We have a near record snow in the Sierras and getting over to Yosemite before June may not happen. Death Valley is a good ride in early May. Likewise you should have pleasant riding conditions in the Grand Canyon. It may be good to strt your loop via Death Valley as it can get very hot later in the Month.

like has been said. Death valley has god stuff and around Vegas you have Red rock canyon and Valley of fire. Could probably do Mt. Charleston by then.

Step 1: PM Buganator, ask him for his address.

Step 2: arrive at his house unannounced. Convince him to lead you on a ride.

Step 3: pickup Carver on the way somewhere, along with Fjray. If you can find Puppychow, so much the better. Shoot - even Sac Mike may be able to tag along.

Step 4: go wherever they go. It will be good, I promise ya.

Mid-Winter CA rally!!!

In 3 days, you might not be able to see the WHOLE west, so I'd think of which region you want to see the most. I see three choices from Las Vegas: west toward Death Valley and around Southern California, then go north around the west side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, up toward (and into) Yosemite Valley and continue north up Hwy 49 through "gold country" toward Lake Tahoe. Second option is to try for the coast and just go north as far as you can.

With your time constraints, that last one might be too much. For SoCal, you'd have to hear from some of the locals down that way; they know the good roads. But I'm suggesting a third option, as proud as I am of California motorcycling (you could even try lane splitting out here). Option three doesn't have much to do with California at all. Think about heading toward the Hoover Dam, ride over it into AZ and head for Utah! The National Parks there are amazing, and all strung out pretty much west to east starting with Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef and more, all just a few hours apart with amazing scenery the whole way. And VERY different from anything you'll find in Georgia! A side trip would head you down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, MUCH more scenic and much prettier surroundings than the roads leading to the South Rim. It's 1,000 feet higher on the north side too--so cooler. There's just too much to see all over that part of the country, and really dramatic. Tough choices, but everybody should have problems like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're anywhere near Redding, head southwest outta town on the A16.

Delightful, curvy, quiet high-ridge road that leads you down to wonderful CA36 - which then leads you to the Pacific ocean on curvy quality pavement and scenic tree-lined vistas.

Avenue of the Giants is a little touristy, but can be a quiet drive if taken mid-week.

Central coast - the 101 down through the Big Sur coastline is an amazing experience if its not raining.

All depends on the weather. Go north if hot or stay south if stormy as snow over the higher passes in early May is real. With three days you can only do so much but you really won't know until a week out what the weather is doing so plan both directions. Distances are more than the appear on a map but plenty of choices. Joshua Tree is also a great national park.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently made a ride through Joshua National Park and feel that it is something we all should see. I live a short distance away and ride there several times a year. Not that far from Las Vegas.

Keep in mind, we are having a big winter here in CA and there is record snow in the Sierra. Check the weather and road conditions before you venture into the high elevations.

Close to Vegas in AZ- Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon West (Skywalk). And if you want a taste of Rt66 - Hackberry General Store, Oatman.

Latest posts