Tire advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcfjr

Reaction score
My '05A came with Metzelers, which I found to be no more than okay; at 7,000 miles, they were done. I found a great deal on some Michelin Pilot Roads, and put on a pair. Now, at 15,000 miles, the rear tire needs changing; the front looks brand new. For what it's worth, I'm not a small guy (6'4", 285), run the tires at 42-42, and only ride solo.

My question: if you were me (heaven forbid), would you replace the rear only with a new Pilot Road, to maximize the investment in the front tire, or would you spring for a set of Avon's front and rear? Based on the wear so far, I expect the current front tire would last for the entire life of a new rear Pilot Road, but everything I've heard about the Avons makes me want to give them a try.

Thanks.

I'd just replace the back tire. IMO, there's no sense in wasting money to replace a tire, the front in this case, that still has a lot of tread life left.

Rick

The only problem withnot replacing the front when you do a rear is usually the front will start to wear faster toward the end and the handling will suffer. Plus it might start to cup and then you are replacing a front before the rear. I just do both. Then I have two fresh tires that wear evenly. This is especially true with Bridgestones and Metzlers.

Especially if you're happy with the PRs. I've run them both and to me they feel about the same. If you're getting 15K out of a tire, why change? Wait until you have to change both.

Jeez, 15K? I am at 8K with my PRs and the rear is just about due, just getting to the wear bars.

I don't see any way possible to get 15k out of rear on anything let alone a feejer

If I read that right, at 15,000 now, that puts 8,000 on the michelin. (changed to the michelin at 7,000)

Go for the rear. If the front starts to become a problem before rear #2 goes, it gives you an excuse to start chewing the rear off.

FWIW, my Z4's gave the ghost at 8,500. Avons went at 6,500. Z6's shit the bed at 6,000 (rear, 3,500 on the first that got punctured) and 9,500 (front). I'll never buy the Metzelers again as they were shit from day one as far as traction and feel. I ran the front about 1k more than I should have. Gonna try Pirelli or the Michelins, next. You got about 60 lbs on my suited weight and I run 40/42.

I got 8700 out of the stock stones. Just changed them this past saturday. Replaced with Avons. Don't have enough miles yet to make an inteligent comment about their performance.

Replaced both stones at the same time. Rear was slicker than owl snot and the front was severely cupped. (the front had been cupping since a 1500 or so)

I am not rough on tires, most miles are commuting, standing straight up.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest enemies of tires is heat cycles. Even though there is plenty of tread left, the multiple heat cycles breaks down the chemicals that makes the tire work. If it were me (and it was as I was in the same position), I would replace both.

Go for the rear.  If the front starts to become a problem before rear #2 goes, it gives you an excuse to start chewing the rear off.
+1.

The worse thing that can happen is that you might have to change the rear when it still has some life left -- which is better than throwing away a perfectly good front tire. In fact, if you are getting that good of tire life out of the Pilot Roads maybe you should stick with them. I am on my second rear Avon and only got 6,500 miles out of the first one -- but the front looks like new.

when you concider the small cost of the front avon and the miles you've put on it, why not have that all new rubber feeling?

i change my avons togather always. mind you, it's a nuisance for me to arrange transportation to and from my dealer so i don't want to double the trouble.

derek

My question: if you were me (heaven forbid), would you replace the rear only with a new Pilot Road, to maximize the investment in the front tire, or would you spring for a set of Avon's front and rear? Based on the wear so far, I expect the current front tire would last for the entire life of a new rear Pilot Road, but everything I've heard about the Avons makes me want to give them a try.
From that description, I would stick on one more Pilot Road rear tire.
In general, I've been using a 'when it is worn out, change it,' approach. This means the fronts last about a third longer than the rear, in my case. I've also mixed brands when on the road and didn't die (yet). It has made for some lack of performance, no doubt, when not swapped as a pair. But I'm a cheap bastid, and going green to save green $$. B) I change my own tires now, so down time going to dealer is not a factor, as it would be for many.

FWIW, the Avon rear tire mileage kicked ass on the the Metz 4 and Pilot Road--by about 2K miles in my case, but everyones mileages do vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest enemies of tires is heat cycles. Even though there is plenty of tread left, the multiple heat cycles breaks down the chemicals that makes the tire work. If it were me (and it was as I was in the same position), I would replace both.
Where's the beef?

I have heard this claim countless number of times, yet I have yet to see one objective fact filled piece of information to support it.

So please, in all haste, do point me in the direction of knowledge.

Gonna try Pirelli or the Michelins, next. You got about 60 lbs on my suited weight and I run 40/42.
Pirelli Strada's are "on the truck" heading to me. I might put a PR on the back to see how much I can get from the front, which still looks pretty good.

Try the Pirellis. They're supposed to be and extended mileage tire. And there are still 150 free front tires to give away as of today. If you hurry you can still take advantage of this.

On the cars, I rotate the tires so they wear out at the same time, then I buy a new set. On the bike, I replace tires as they wear out. I just put a new Pirelli on the front (last one went 11,000miles) and have about 3500 on the rear Avon. It will get replaced with an "E" Pirelli if it makes it until one is available. If it doesn't, another Avon will go on the back. Mixin' it up hasn't got me tossed yet.

Latest posts