Tire Life?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerbiker

Reaction score
Have an '07 7 weeks and have 2,800 miles.

What's the life people are getting on the feejer's metzlers (front and back)?

:unsure:

Thanks

I milked just under 4800 out of my stock Metzlers. Be warned though, the rear metz goes to cord long before it looks like it should. The only reason I got that mileage out of it was the break in period.

Now I'm lucky to get 3800 out of a rear.

I got 4200 on the Metzelers that came with my '05, and that was probably 500 miles too many. I've gotten about 8500 miles on the Michelin Pilot Roads I've been using - except for the one that got cut up beyond repair with 1800 miles.

I milked just under 4800 out of my stock Metzlers. Be warned though, the rear metz goes to cord long before it looks like it should. The only reason I got that mileage out of it was the break in period.
Now I'm lucky to get 3800 out of a rear.
+1 I have about 4k on my stock Metzler and I am looking to replace with a Strada this week. I am just waiting for the SmartTire product to be delivered.

6K, cords where showing Tuesday when I checked the tires before I left the house. I knew it was getting close to time, but they went from fine to cords over the weekend... Of course, I rode about 400 miles this weekend, 250 of them 2up.

Strada's on the way, bike parked in the garage :(

2,341 on the rear. Front puked at around 3k. Shortest tire life in my personal history. See thread below. :)

Z6 rant

Last edited by a moderator:
Diablo Stradas are yummie... I put them on this evening and took it out for a test ride a few minutes ago. I didn't realize my tires were so bad.

After getting it all back together, I motored through town getting some heat in the tires, then took one of my usual loops through some twisty back roads. It felt rock solid and was very willing to lean. Hopefully I won't wear tires out as quick as Mr. Ashe. :)

Currently have 10,000 miles on my rear tire...Diablo Strada (FJR specific). Brought it to a motorcycle shop to have the bike looked over...guy couldn't believe how good the tire is!

:yahoo:

My last Avons I took off lasted 4,000 miles for the rear. That's my best mileage to date. Put on Diablo Strada's; we'll see. On a side note, the front end wiggle I'd been noticing around 50 MPH upon decelleration, without hands on bars, has disappeared. Gone. Like it was never there. I'm thinking the front Avon (on for two rear tires, about 7,500 miles) was scallopped pretty badly.

Also, the Avon rear needed around 40 grams to balance out. The Diablo less than 21.

I've only scrubbed these in, no serious pushing on them yet. Looking forward to it.

On the original Metzler's that came with my 05 I was able to get 26,563.........

km, that is. Thats 16,505 miles. SkooterG would be so proud of me!

I know you're thinking I must be a real pansy rider, but I would call myself an average-to-moderately aggressive rider - definitely not a 'ride it like ya stole it' kinda guy.

They were past the wear bars, but not down to cords showing. As a matter of fact, they wore v-e-r-y slowly through the wear bars and beyond. I did not experience the rapid wear at the end-of-life noted by others. Both front and rear wore at the same rate - no cupping, no wobbles. As far as I could tell they were damn fine tires and no gave problems at all. The rear was scrubbed out to the very edge - no chicken strips.

I replaced them both with Michelin Pilot Roads in March of this year.

In Arizona half rubberized ashpalt highway, half cement highway I got 8k from the stock 2005 Metzler's. I think I could have gotten 2k more but she was in for service and I was going to take a trip so I had them changed out to Michelin's love them.

Metz Z4's that came with my '05 - 12k miles

Next, a set of Azarros, 13k miles, handled way better

Currently on Azarro's set #2

(back east here, most roads are macadam or concrete, not chip & seal like out west...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Diablo Stradas are yummie... I put them on this evening and took it out for a test ride a few minutes ago. I didn't realize my tires were so bad.
After getting it all back together, I motored through town getting some heat in the tires, then took one of my usual loops through some twisty back roads. It felt rock solid and was very willing to lean. Hopefully I won't wear tires out as quick as Mr. Ashe. :)
Thanks for the tip...these look great...clickie here...

3K on Avon Storms and I'm at/into the wear bars on the Storms. Maybe I'll bet another 500 or so before I hit chord, which I plan to do just to see how long these guys last. My stock BT020's had 3.3K on them before I switched to the Storms because I was taking a trip. They were in much better shape than the Storms and I would guess M-A-Y-B-E one 1K left till the chords. I might just run them to the chords to see how they will do as well. I have a set of Shinko Ravens setting next to the tire machine. Man, the grooves they have are a mile deep.

3K on Avon Storms and I'm at/into the wear bars on the Storms. Maybe I'll bet another 500 or so before I hit chord, which I plan to do just to see how long these guys last. My stock BT020's had 3.3K on them before I switched to the Storms because I was taking a trip. They were in much better shape than the Storms and I would guess M-A-Y-B-E one 1K left till the chords. I might just run them to the chords to see how they will do as well. I have a set of Shinko Ravens setting next to the tire machine. Man, the grooves they have are a mile deep.
I have 4500 on my Storms. Guess I don't ride agressive enough. :unsure: OR my roads are just smoother... ;)

I'm just about to the wear bars. I figure another grand and these tires are toast. Trying to get them used up and swap for fresh shoes just before WFO departure. :yahoo:

Metz Z-6: 2700 miles

Stradas: 3300 milies (1st Set)

Stradas: 2500 miles and counting; mostly slab (sedate) riding due to trip out west w/ my wife. 2 day trip to Deals

at the end of the month. They will be toast after that.

I just got my No-Mar machine so; the constant changing should be easier now. My Harbor Freight changer is for Scab when he heals.